How often do you change filter media?

+4
cichlid-gal
Anthraxx
DMD123
anderson_p_r
8 posters

Go down

How often do you change filter media? Empty How often do you change filter media?

Post  anderson_p_r 2014-03-24, 17:13

Curious what others thoughts on the frequency of replacing filter media is. I guess my policy has always been to not change biological media (bio balls, ceramic rings, etc) and only change sponges when they can't be cleaned/become too clogged. For coarse sponges I've never really had a problem clearing them as I generally spray them clean with some good water pressure. Finer sponges certainly seem so to clog within a few months and I replace those at that interval. If carbon is used, I would change it every other month typically.

I ask because I was reading the documentation that came with my AquaClear and they suggested changing their "Bio-Max" media on a regular basis. I'm inclined to go with my standard and just use the coarse sponge, purigen, and ceramic rings.
anderson_p_r
anderson_p_r

Back to top Go down

How often do you change filter media? Empty Re: How often do you change filter media?

Post  DMD123 2014-03-24, 17:18

I have been in the habit of rinsing out coarse sponges in my FX5 and just rinsing out my bio media (pond matrix). The problem is that Ive been running these filters for over two years and find that I seem to get shorter and shorter intervals between cleanings due to them pumping out waste that accumulates in the filters. This time around I decided to replace the coarse sponges and see what happens. I used to go six months plus before cleaning the filter and now its every two and a half months. I think when I clean my other FX5 on the tank I will also replace on basket of bio media also and see what happens.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

How often do you change filter media? Empty Re: How often do you change filter media?

Post  Anthraxx 2014-03-24, 17:29

bio media always stays, sponges get cleaned every month (sometimes two if i forget) however one of my trays is always designated for fine cleaning and that gets tossed every month. i just use the filler fluff and shape a good sized chunk to fit the tray, its relatively cheap and does a great job collecting a TON of muck from my water column. my layering is as follows, 1st Filter Fluff, 2nd-4th Bio media (pond matrix), 5th is a dbl layer of coarse sponges. seems to work well and trap/contain waste quite well. when the tank starts getting funky it means time to change and im all good again Smile
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-03-24, 17:41

As I have shared before I use Poret foam for mechanical and Matrix or Eheim SUBSTRATpro. I use various densities of the Poret foam depending on what I need in my filters and canisters...finer or coarser.

In my larger tanks (33G and over) all mechanical media is cleaned once every 4 weeks. Biomedia is "swished" as needed (i.e. if I see a mulm buildup on it then I swish it). In my smaller tanks I clean mechanical media either once a week or every two weeks depending on filter sizes and tank sizes. All of those filters also have some form of biological media in them and it is treated as above...cleaned when needed.

Because I use the Poret foam (and I do have some fine foam running in some of my HOB's) I have never had to replace the foam. Because I use the Matrix biomedia I have never replaced it either. My foam cleans really well and does not degrade in any way.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-03-24, 19:05

I haven't changed media in years. Seriously...
Carbon? Only to pull medication.
Rinsing? Only if plugged.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2014-03-24, 21:10

never, rinse when clogged that's it
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2014-03-24, 21:24

I never change mine either and have been using the same sponges and bio for years and years.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CMooreCichlids 2014-03-24, 22:26

I'm in accordance with the majority on this thread.

I've been running an FX5 on my 125g for 2 years now, and have never changed the tray sponges. I wash them once a month, or every two months if I forget, but have never changed them.

I have ceramic rings in one tray, bio-max in a second tray, and the third tray has seen lots of different filtration (ammonia remover/peat granules/ etc). The rings and bio-max have stayed the same and only get replaced when things start to fall apart. I believe I've only replaced the bio-max once during the two years.

Most recently I've been adding a polishing pad to the third tray, which I might say delivers outstanding results, but I replace the pad once a month with the cleaning.

I would say that it all depends on the bio-load of your tank, the size of the tank, the feeding schedule, the type of filter, and any other factors that might contribute to the cleanliness or filthiness of your tank/filter. (dead fish, dead plants, rotting wood)

If you do decide that you need to change filter media, make sure to do it in stages. And try to avoid doing it after a gravel vac session or you may be facing a mini-cycle.

Cheers and GL,
Chris
CMooreCichlids
CMooreCichlids
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  anderson_p_r 2014-03-24, 23:01

Sounds good, sounds like i'm in line with everyone else's feelings on the matter, which is assuring.
anderson_p_r
anderson_p_r

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down