Changing filter media

4 posters

Go down

Changing filter media Empty Changing filter media

Post  stierwalt3 2010-10-02, 13:17

Ok So I have these two magnum 350's on my 72gal tank. I got everything used and just went with what was already in the canisters. I don't know how old the media is inside so I want to change everything out.

My question to you is...

Is it safe to change everything in one of them then wait a couple weeks and do the same on the other and still be able to keep the beneficial bacteria!?

Also what media should I be using in these things...right now there's carbon,the main filter and a blue sleeve over the filter.

Last edited by stierwalt3 on 2010-10-02, 13:48; edited 1 time in total
stierwalt3
stierwalt3
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Changing filter media Empty Re: Changing filter media

Post  icer711 2010-10-02, 13:19

i would do them on a alternating schedule so you dont lose anything with them, the 350 are a Little touchy there cause they want you to change so much of the media but it also depends on how they are set up as well but i would do one now and other later
also if you add a sponge pre-filter to the intake and once its established you can do both at once cause all the bb would be in the sponge and your tank will be super clean as well as the fishies will eat off the sponges great for super little guys
icer711
icer711
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  stierwalt3 2010-10-03, 13:47

Thanks for the info Icer!
stierwalt3
stierwalt3
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  alexmuw 2010-10-03, 15:02

Exactly what Icer said! Alternate cleaning of your filters. I had a major ammonia spike when I cleaned all my filters at once. Lesson learned.

alexmuw

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-10-03, 19:16

you gotta be careful... your tank is really new, and I dont think enough beneficial bacteria has developed in the sand and decor to start messin with the filter media... I would honestly give it another month before you change anything. but thats my opinion... I know several people that would change it, and do water changes religiously. Smile
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  icer711 2010-10-03, 19:42

its all depends on if they were still running when he got them i believe he said they were used but if he only does one he should be just fine but both would lead to a disaster it also depends on what he changes out in them...

i had one once and i stuffed the basket thing where they want you to put the carbon with poly-fill it did wonders. you can also use the eheim stuff (the little glass ball's) that's great stuff as well... not a fan of carbon i haven't see a real benefit besides an empty wallet
icer711
icer711
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  stierwalt3 2010-10-03, 20:08

icer711 wrote:its all depends on if they were still running when he got them i believe he said they were used but if he only does one he should be just fine but both would lead to a disaster it also depends on what he changes out in them...

i had one once and i stuffed the basket thing where they want you to put the carbon with poly-fill it did wonders. you can also use the eheim stuff (the little glass ball's) that's great stuff as well... not a fan of carbon i haven't see a real benefit besides an empty wallet

Bingo that's what I wanted to hear! I wanna pull carbon and fill it with something else so...poly fill, Eheim little glass balls or maybe some fluval Biomax!?
stierwalt3
stierwalt3
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  icer711 2010-10-03, 20:11

i would spend the extra and get the eheim over biomax IMO its about 20-25 for a L but would easily fill that holder thing what ever you want to call it......

i once took out the internals and filled it with pot scurbbies to lol it worked ok but the poly-fill works better and its only $3 a wall-mart for a years plus supply
icer711
icer711
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  stierwalt3 2010-10-03, 20:16

sounds good I think I'll go with the Eheim stuff in one and the poly fill in the other. Now the walmart poly fill is that in the pet/fish department usually!?
stierwalt3
stierwalt3
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  icer711 2010-10-03, 20:18

no its a fish keepers secret is in fabric area/craft in a green bag should be like 2.97 a bag but the other one thats 4 something will work to
icer711
icer711
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  stierwalt3 2010-10-04, 00:09

Ok cool! Wink
stierwalt3
stierwalt3
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-10-04, 06:48

Yeah, I love poly fill... have a bunch in all my filters... Love it in the sump.... it stops the water from splashing and makin a loud noise. Great stuff.... and CHEAP! I got a huge bag at the craft store. In the canister I like to do poly fill, a sock filled with TONS of carbon, (the only way it really polishes well I found), and the poly fill on top of the carbon sock.... When you do this it tends to slow the flow way down.....

Stierwalt - Instead of removing stuff, just add poly to it..... or add whatever.... Im just nervous you may get a spike...you tank has only had water for like 3 weeks right? thats really not enough time for beneficial bacteria to build in decor or substrate.... I would hate to see you loose your fish, there just gettin a nicer size and color!

Not to change the subject, how is the peacock holding? you should update that thread!
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  stierwalt3 2010-10-04, 19:08

Sand- Yes it's been a little over 3 weeks. As for the Peacocks I'll update the topic! Neutral
stierwalt3
stierwalt3
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down