+5
KaraWolf
fishNAbowl
anderson_p_r
MorganEA
CrazedAce
9 posters

Go down

Filter Media for HOB/Internal filters Empty Filter Media for HOB/Internal filters

Post  CrazedAce 2014-02-06, 20:38

So I've been looking into getting biological media for use in my HOB/internal filters, but I'm not sure which type to choose. There are the bio balls, which are plastic and look like they wouldn't work as great. Then there is the ceramic rings, and finally porous rocks. Which is the better one to choose from for my needs? There are so many options out there I am just overwhelmed. lol
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Filter Media for HOB/Internal filters Empty Re: Filter Media for HOB/Internal filters

Post  MorganEA 2014-02-06, 20:49

I think the porous ceramic rings have more surface area for bacteria to grow on, that's what I use in my aquaclear filters.
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Filter Media for HOB/Internal filters Empty Re: Filter Media for HOB/Internal filters

Post  anderson_p_r 2014-02-06, 20:56

I also use ceramic rings in my HOB filters. I'll give away a little secret and say that this is where I get mine.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
anderson_p_r
anderson_p_r

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-06, 21:37

I vote ceramic rings.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2014-02-06, 22:08

I use ceramic rings but I also have to put in there. There is a bath scrubby in my filter for the exact same reason as the rings.
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2014-02-07, 01:07

Okay so what about using porous rocks such as lava rock?
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2014-02-07, 01:11

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think lava rock can change your water chemistry and you can't really buy really small bits the smallest I've seen it is about 1" for landscaping.
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2014-02-07, 03:05

fishNAbowl wrote:I vote ceramic rings.
 I agree  My all my filters have ceramic rings or balls.

Back to top Go down

Post  zach_discus 2014-02-07, 03:49

The ceramic rings are nice but can get pricy. I use the plastic bath loffas from the doller store. Work both as a corse filter and biological surface also.
zach_discus
zach_discus
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-07, 09:10

HOB layers from top to bottom AC70

Ceramic rings
Crushed coral
Course sponge
Fine sponge
Bio sponge (specialized high surface sponge)
Fine sponge

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2014-02-07, 13:27

fishNAbowl wrote:HOB layers from top to bottom AC70

Ceramic rings
Crushed coral
Course sponge
Fine sponge
Fine sponge

Fancy! I like. I do a combination of rings and crushed coral in a few of mine (I have very few HOBs left). I believe crushed coral just has the effect of raising hardness... with the side effect of raising alkalinity and stabilizing PH. Just be careful using it on fish that require low hardness.
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-07, 16:07

MRTom wrote:
fishNAbowl wrote:HOB layers from top to bottom AC70

Ceramic rings
Crushed coral
Course sponge
Fine sponge
Fine sponge

Fancy! I like. I do a combination of rings and crushed coral in a few of mine (I have very few HOBs left). I believe crushed coral just has the effect of raising hardness... with the side effect of raising alkalinity and stabilizing PH. Just be careful using it on fish that require low hardness.
I noticed you picking up those small canisters. You must like them a LOT! I do like my small canister too. And I have crushed coral in that canister. Matter of fact there is crushed coral in all my tanks to stabilize PH to just under 7.0. My planted tanks have a tendency to "crash" . PH will drop under any PH checking scale. It take time and patients but all my tanks maintain 6.8 no matter how long I go without changing water....
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  star_rider 2014-02-07, 17:34

I believe Lava rocks are inert

star_rider
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-02-07, 18:58

I use Seachem Matrix as my biomedia.  I bag it up and layer it in just like fishNAbowl does.  My layers are a little different:

from bottom to top:
coarse sponge (the one that comes with the unit)
biomedia in bags
fine sponge on top (to act as polishing) - this can cause fine bubbles if not set in correctly.  I find that allowing it to overhang the canister a tad helps.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down