Internal overflow box project for 125 gallon

+3
Kingstature
Mikey
Brenn
7 posters

Go down

Internal overflow box project for 125 gallon Empty Internal overflow box project for 125 gallon

Post  Brenn 2010-04-22, 23:15

I wanted a Internal over flow so i checked out my options. The goal was to have 1500 GPH plus internal over flow box.
Option #1 for the holes was to have my LFS drill it for 35 per hole with Jig/press meant to do that sort of thing. He said it would probably be cheaper for a glass shop do it. The advantage for letting him do it was he had the bulk heads and fittings. I never looked into it the glass shop price.
Option #2 for the holes was to do it my self and save the labor cost so i could afford to buy fittings.
after seeing it could be dun rather easily on youtube and not finding any horror stories while researching, I went with #2. Man! it wold be a pain to put it in the truck.
After i drilled 7 hole the LFS owner looked at me like i was Evil Knieve
I wanted to build in a box that spanned the entire length but building one looked like to much of a hassle and buying one wold be to costly. The next best thing was small but functional box from
Glassholes.com I purchased the 1500 GPH kit
2 Quantity 1 1/2" Bulkhead, Thread x Slip
2 Quantity 1.5 inch Bulkhead Gasket
1 1500 gph Overflow Box with lid
1 Quantity 2 3/8 Diamond Coated Holesaw
2 Quantity One and a Half Inch Street Elbow
looking back I should have gotten the dart

2 quantity 1/2 Inch Return Kits

1 1/8 Diamond Coated Holesaw
1/2 inch Loc-Line Nozzles with 1/2" Round Outlet
1/2 inch Loc-Line to Male NPT adaptor
5 1/2" Piece of 1/2 inch Loc-Line Flexible Pipe
1/2 inch Bulkhead thread x slip
1/2 inch Spigot Elbow

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Brenn
Brenn
Fry

Back to top Go down

Internal overflow box project for 125 gallon Empty Re: Internal overflow box project for 125 gallon

Post  Guest 2010-04-23, 00:15

Nice project. did everything go as planned and hold water in the end?

Back to top Go down

Internal overflow box project for 125 gallon Empty geting to oerflow fox working

Post  Brenn 2010-04-23, 10:26

The overflow box is not functionl yet as i cant push enough water to it. I could use it with my 2 small pawer head but thats almost nothing and i would have to cap the rest of the plumbing to bring the water level up. I just ordered my Pan world 150 sp 1100 GPH this morning. Other than that the drilling went smoothly and the bulkheads fit well.
Brenn
Brenn
Fry

Back to top Go down

Internal overflow box project for 125 gallon Empty Re: Internal overflow box project for 125 gallon

Post  Mikey 2010-04-23, 14:59

Wow, that is an awesome project you got going!!! Post some pics of the end project when you're done!! Way to go afro
Mikey
Mikey
Contributing Member

http://www.wafishbox.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2010-04-23, 15:26

1100 gph should do the trick.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikey 2010-04-23, 18:12

fish_n_vw wrote:1100 gph should do the trick.

Is it just me or is your avatar picture extremely large? lol!
Mikey
Mikey
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2010-04-23, 18:20

mikeypb234 wrote:

Is that what that big space is after everthing I post. I can't see it since I'm on my phone. I have to look and see if there's a classic version button somwhere. I will do what I can to downsize or just take it off. Sorry I dident know.

Back to top Go down

Internal overflow box project for 125 gallon Empty Avitar

Post  Brenn 2010-04-23, 18:23

I don't mind the size. I like looking at it.
Brenn
Brenn
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2010-04-23, 18:38

Wow I see it, its off to the side. Its really, really big.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikey 2010-04-23, 20:43

fish_n_vw wrote:
mikeypb234 wrote:

Is that what that big space is after everthing I post. I can't see it since I'm on my phone. I have to look and see if there's a classic version button somwhere. I will do what I can to downsize or just take it off. Sorry I dident know.

Don't worry about it. I'll try and fix it for you
Mikey
Mikey
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikey 2010-04-23, 20:59

fish_n_vw wrote:Wow I see it, its off to the side. Its really, really big.

Fixed
Mikey
Mikey
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2010-04-23, 21:54

mikeypb234 wrote:
fish_n_vw wrote:Wow I see it, its off to the side. Its really, really big.

Fixed

Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenn 2010-05-05, 00:38

the pump is circulating the tank. This is only temporary as it is going to power becket stile skimmer. The overflow is working but a bit slurpy, I still have to install air intakes and I don't want to tune that in be for i have the plumbing in a fixed position. placement looks good water level in right in the middle of the comb and just above the trim cap bottom. I don't see the water line from the outside. I plan on placing the skimmer above the water line of the display. This will circulate the tank in tell can afford another pump for return and for water movement.
becaus i only have 2 inces clearance under the stand it is almost impossible to remove the sump while the PVC is over the top. I'm going to be adding 3 bulkheads to the sump accommodating overflow. Putting the plumbing threw the sump will allow me to detach the sump for service.
I'm going to be going to be adding 3 bulkheads to the sump for the flow from the display.

Last edited by Brenn on 2010-05-06, 11:48; edited 2 times in total
Brenn
Brenn
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Kingstature 2010-05-05, 01:19

Wow thats bad ass way to go man, your gonna be stoked when you get that going..
Hard work = Great rewards king
Kingstature
Kingstature
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Gosu 2010-05-13, 03:29

what is a "sump" ?
Gosu
Gosu

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2010-05-13, 09:10

A sump is a extrenal tank useually under the tank in the stand. It will have an internal flow from the tank and an external flow to the tank. You can use it as your filter or put your filter in it. Its also a nice place to put all your other equipment so your tank dosent have it in it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenn 2010-05-13, 10:28

A sump is nothing more than an extra tank usualy divided into chambers. It constantly circulates water to and from the "display tank". It is commonly set up underneath an aquarium where you can place equipment, provide the aquarium with various types of water filtration, add top-off water to the tank and perform other maintenance tasks.
Brenn
Brenn
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Gosu 2010-05-13, 18:56

oh i get it, hide everything
Gosu
Gosu

Back to top Go down

Post  CrashSmAshley 2010-05-18, 14:51

What a great idea! Should of done something like this when my dad had his 120gal Razz
CrashSmAshley
CrashSmAshley
Contributing Member

https://www.facebook.com/people/Ashley-Kate-Schneider/781865286

Back to top Go down

Internal overflow box project for 125 gallon Empty Tank is runing well.

Post  Brenn 2010-05-18, 15:58

The bulk of the plumbing is completed and the skimmer is running directly into the display until I get a separate pump to return from the stump. The 1 1/2 over flow on the left will suck wide open quietly by not sucking air. The water lever will rise and trickel into the over flow on the right. I will up date the pix as soon as these adjustments are made. The skimmer puts out such dry foam it sticks to the top after the heavier wet foam drops down.
Brenn
Brenn
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  shua 2010-07-03, 15:24

fish_n_vw wrote:A sump is a extrenal tank useually under the tank in the stand. It will have an internal flow from the tank and an external flow to the tank. You can use it as your filter or put your filter in it. Its also a nice place to put all your other equipment so your tank dosent have it in it.

are you asking to see the difference between sumps because i have three different kinds of over flow systems would you like pics?
shua
shua

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-07-03, 15:35

I think your three examples would be helpful.... this is posted in the DIY section.... so I am assuming besides definitions we can look at some examples and blueprints to making our own!! Smile
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenn 2010-07-12, 07:53

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. I apologize for the lack of specs. I should have completed it before posting it here. but that is a lot of work and i put this here because I wanted to show some basics plus show off. There wasn't a "Show and Tell" section when i posted this. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
I will try to work out more of the details to complete this in the future.

Thanks
Brenn
Brenn
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenn 2011-05-12, 23:37

I had trouble with the skimmer return not being under stable level thus changing the level in riser. Switched sides for that, now it works.
Brenn
Brenn
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down