Pneumostome
BillHN
Lamental Jester
Aquarium Co-Op
Madness
VernalPond
12 posters

Go down

Gigi's Wonderfood organic shrimp and fish food review Empty Gigi's Wonderfood organic shrimp and fish food review

Post  VernalPond 2013-08-29, 10:25

There is a new shrimp and aquarium food being made locally here in the northwest on Vashon Island.  It is unique in that it is made with all organic whole food ingredients. My shrimp go crazy for it.  I'm going to review it now for your benefit and also because I want this approach to aquarium food to catch on.

Gigi Gungadee lives on Vashon Island just outside of Seattle, Washington, USA.  She has been hand making food for exotic animals for a decade.  She has recently turned her attention to aquarium foods for vegivores like shrimp, plecos, snails and many community fish.

She takes real whole vegetables that have been certified organic and pulverizes them by hand to end up with elegant dehydrated crisps that are nothing more than the vegetables, dehydrated and flat.  If you flip over the package and read the ingredients of common shrimp and fish food, they have unnecessary ingredients and fillers.  I used the best of these products for along time and then I got a sample from Gigi of this new stuff and I immediately switched.

This food smells like actual vegetables.  When I opened my first bag it smelled like chlorophyll, humus and spirulina.  I flipped the bag over and read the ingredients.  "Ingredient list: organic peas, organic green beans, organic kale, organic carrots, organic alfalfa leaf, organic spirulina algae, organic stinging nettles."  What I did not see was the wheat and soy fillers and added colors that are in most of the commercial foods I have used for years and the "dried bakery product" that are in my Hikari sinking wafers.

All my shrimp breeding tanks get heavy amounts of fresh blanched vegetables but I don't have time for that every day.  Some days I need to drop something in there and leave.  What annoyed me before was if I didn't use fresh food, I had to drop all the way down to what is essentially crappy fast food.  My other packaged aquarium foods are all compressed vitamin pellets and not really food.  Giving my shrimp a squash to eat is food.  They will eat compressed vitamins laced with animal protein too but it isn't really a whole food.

This food was designed from the animals perspective intentionally. This is for folks who really desire the extra movement and color and breeding that comes with a thriving animal.  When I compare the nutritional value of the top products that cost more and find that they are less quality than Gigi's Wonderfood, the $12 a bag seems reasonable.  As a specialty shrimp breeder, I use the stuff because my shrimp mob it and their colors are better and more shrimp survive molting and their first weeks alive.  Maybe that is because my infusoria have all ballooned since switching off the old food and onto organic whole food too.  I also like that the crisps are water stable overnight so if I forget to remove any excess before bed, it doesn't create a big rotting mess.  I just lift out any uneaten crisp portion the next day.  After a few feedings though you will figure out the right amount and can underfeed so as to not waste any.

We really don't know anything about how the pesticides and GMOs in all commercial fish food affect the animals.  There are no studies.  Maybe we can extrapolate that since those same chemicals are cause disease and corrupt DNA in humans that it may be possible in fish and sensitive inverts too.  At the very least I feel better than my water changes do not put pesticides into the waterways and I am supporting a healthier food industry overall.  I guess we will find out more about the impacts of pesticides and GMOs in aquariums in future years.  

This week, Msjinkzd also posted an excellent review of Gigi's Wonderfood.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You can get Gigi's Wonderfood online and in your local fish store or from Gigi in person if you attend GSAS meetings in Seattle.  If they don't have it at your local shop, tell them about it and maybe they can get it.  

I spent the time writing this because I am a big supporter of the animals and think this is a direction we should be going in as animal keepers.  I also want to see Gigi succeed in her business and want you to have really successful breeding in your tanks.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
VernalPond
VernalPond
Fry

http://www.NatureInvincible.com

Back to top Go down

Gigi's Wonderfood organic shrimp and fish food review Empty Re: Gigi's Wonderfood organic shrimp and fish food review

Post  Madness 2013-08-29, 13:07

Very nice, I will have to look into this. Thank you for sharing. Very Happy
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Gigi's Wonderfood organic shrimp and fish food review Empty Re: Gigi's Wonderfood organic shrimp and fish food review

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2013-08-29, 13:21

Also carry it at my shop and shrimp go nuts for it... But also algae eating gobies, which is a huge plus cause it can be hard to get those things to eat!
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  VernalPond 2013-08-29, 13:27

Yeah, Cory was an early adopter. Aquarium Co-Op was the first retail store to carry it. Very Happy 
VernalPond
VernalPond
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-08-29, 13:48

Plus OnePlus OnePlus One This is what I use for all my shrimp.  They love it!  Highly recommend! Plus OnePlus OnePlus One
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  BillHN 2013-08-29, 18:24

Lamental Jester wrote:Plus OnePlus OnePlus One This is what I use for all my shrimp.  They love it!  Highly recommend! Plus OnePlus OnePlus One
^

Bought 1 and then saw how nice it was and picked up 2 more the same day at the general auction. MY SHRIMP AND SNAILS LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BillHN
BillHN
Lifetime Member

https://www.facebook.com/billhn

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-08-29, 18:25

How much are those per bag?

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-08-29, 18:30

Hey Cory, can you bring a couple bags to the swap?
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-08-29, 18:34

madness wrote:Hey Cory, can you bring a couple bags to the swap?
Great idea, Shawn. Still how much are they?

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2013-08-29, 18:49

I don't think I'll be able to make it to the swap. But I believe Grace the maker of the product will be there.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pneumostome 2013-08-29, 22:47

Thanks, Cory.

I'll be at the meeting myself and will be bringing lots of Gigi's Wonderfood. Shango and I will be offering a lot of new products that we have yet to add to the Nature Invincible online store. We have a type of wood for the aquarium that is new to the hobby and exotic natural products for holistic fish and shrimp care.

Oh, and we'll be bringing the shrimp shirts too.

See you then!
Fry

http://www.natureinvinicble.com

Back to top Go down

Post  escapay 2013-09-17, 17:28

Just wanted to mention that my BN plecos enjoy this food. I've only fed it twice so far. It seems only the plecos are eating it, the other fish are leaving it alone at this point.

escapay
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  BillHN 2013-09-17, 18:44

Pneumostome wrote:Thanks, Cory.

I'll be at the meeting myself and will be bringing lots of Gigi's Wonderfood.  Shango and I will be offering a lot of new products that we have yet to add to the Nature Invincible online store.  We  have a type of wood for the aquarium that is new to the hobby and exotic natural products for holistic fish and shrimp care.

Oh, and we'll be bringing the shrimp shirts too.

See you then!

It was awesome seeing you guys there, with the awesome selection of stuffs!
Thanks for the GiGi's wonderfood! My shrimp and snails (and H. Formosa) are snacking on them right now!
BillHN
BillHN
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  BallardFishGuy 2013-09-17, 22:07

My shrimp love it! +1 Gigi!
BallardFishGuy
BallardFishGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-17, 22:50

What website do you all use to buy it? I may have to buy a bag, as I never knew that shrimp were picky eaters ..... Thought they were supposed to be scavengers that would eat whatever I was feeding the Cory cats with
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  BallardFishGuy 2013-09-17, 22:53

lloyd378 wrote:What website do you all use to buy it?  I may have to buy a bag, as I  never knew that shrimp were picky eaters ..... Thought they were supposed to be scavengers that would eat whatever I was feeding the Cory cats with
My shrimp certainly aren't picky but will go after this over most anything I toss in beside it in the tank...and its quality food from a local source which is a bonus! I got mine from Gigi at a GSAS meeting but Cory carries it at Aquarium Co-Op not sure what other stores. You could order from her website in the link above I think.
BallardFishGuy
BallardFishGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-17, 23:32

lloyd378 wrote:What website do you all use to buy it?  I may have to buy a bag, as I  never knew that shrimp were picky eaters ..... Thought they were supposed to be scavengers that would eat whatever I was feeding the Cory cats with
I think GiGi has a website! I also think Aquarium Co-Op will ship too! Ill look around, I know she has a website.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-17, 23:35

fishNAbowl wrote:
I think GiGi has a website! I also think Aquarium Co-Op will ship too! Ill look around, I know she has a website.

Here you go lloyd378.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. <---- click here Very Happy 
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  BillHN 2013-09-17, 23:42

Link to website: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Here's my take-away.

I have used "Ken's Veggie Stix , Repashy (been awhile can't remember), and other foods"

But when I put in the gigi's my shrimp flock to the crisp like no tomorrow.

That being said, I'm also really lazy when it comes to making veggie slices for my shrimp and snails (even though I know they like it... but it also may be because I'm a meat kind of person whose too lazy to buy anything other than cilantro and green onions). 

But after seeing the ingredient list first hand
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I knew these would be a good meal for my fauna. Everything's organic (she told me she even bought like a 5 gallon bucket full of organic spirulina if I'm not mistaken)!

So I was like... Hmmm.... If I can eat Korean BBQ, and enjoy my food... why not let my critters enjoy some good food as well?

This is the main part of their diet, because honestly feeding them something with "meal" inside of it doesn't really sound all too appealing to me.
BillHN
BillHN
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  BillHN 2013-09-17, 23:42

fishNAbowl wrote:
fishNAbowl wrote:

Here you go lloyd378.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. <---- click here Very Happy 
Haa! You beat me to it!
BillHN
BillHN
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  BallardFishGuy 2013-09-17, 23:43

+1 to what BillHN said!
BallardFishGuy
BallardFishGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-17, 23:45

fishNAbowl wrote:
fishNAbowl wrote:

Here you go lloyd378.

Thanks! I will check it out in a bit
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  BillHN 2013-09-17, 23:52

I consider myself lucky to have gotten them at 5$ per Surprised when she first had them for sale!
BillHN
BillHN
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  BallardFishGuy 2013-09-17, 23:55

Mine has lasted a long time, at least longer than I thought at first.
BallardFishGuy
BallardFishGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  BillHN 2013-09-18, 00:03

I now have 4 packs O_O (3x first generation, 1x (Idk) generation with new packaging).
BillHN
BillHN
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-18, 00:38

BillHN wrote:
fishNAbowl wrote:
fishNAbowl wrote:
Here you go lloyd378.

Haa! You beat me to it!
by 7 minutes Very Happy 

My shrimpies,Cory cats, & snails eat this stuff. Gigi's & those calcium algae pellets at Aquarium Co-Op make happy shelled friends Smile
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-09-18, 00:54

BillHN wrote:I consider myself lucky to have gotten them at 5$ per Surprised when she first had them for sale!
Thanks bill and LJ for pressuring into getting her shrimp food. Im a believer now. I was skeptical about ppl claims of how good this stuff is.

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-18, 01:21

Just placed an order for two bags..... Going to give it a try! Does anyone know if shago sells shrimp online? I just read a little bit about him on the "super shrimp food" website.....
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-09-18, 01:27

I think he does cause he ships them too. BillHN is selling shrimps also cheaper. Youre kinda close to BillHN. Rite?

Back to top Go down

Post  nick_76 2013-09-18, 01:29

trying a sample in a marine tank....got some tangs that might enjoy it, though gigi expressed interest in doing a marine version...cant wait to try that if she does..
nick_76
nick_76

Back to top Go down

Post  BallardFishGuy 2013-09-18, 01:32

lloyd378 wrote:Just placed an order for two bags..... Going to give it a try!  Does anyone know if shago sells shrimp online? I just read a little bit about him on the "super shrimp food" website.....
Not sure, but he will bring them to a GSAS meeting...where I got my Blue Velvet Shrimp which I have in my 2g SPEC currently. Only a dozen now after an accident but they will rebound nicely.
BallardFishGuy
BallardFishGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  BillHN 2013-09-18, 03:01

SiRWesDragon wrote:I think he does cause he ships them too. BillHN is selling shrimps also cheaper. Youre kinda close to BillHN.  Rite?
I do do a cheaper rate, for yellows and reds atm. We're trying to get rid of them (hundreds for sale)...

25 yellows for 20 Dorrah
25 reds for 15 dorrah. PU only.

That being said.

Shango has a plethora of shrimpies for sale. 

(he also has magical water) and feeds them amazing food (more amazing than gigi's?... yes he has more natural food xDDDD added on top of gigi's!~) 

I can say his blue's are really nice looking!
BillHN
BillHN
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-09-18, 03:14

Tempting but f*** you're 1hr and 4 min away from me. Damn whens the next swap. I'll be there on the next swap. Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post  VernalPond 2013-09-18, 22:10

Thanks for all the glowing praise for the Gigi's Wonderfood organic crisps ya'll.

Indeed, the place to buy them in Seattle is at Aquarium Co-Op.

If you are outside of the drivable area you can buy packages in our online store at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but with shipping it is a dollar more than going to Aquarium Co-Op.

The leaves and barks and other organic care items we debuted at the swap this weekend will be going up there next week too.

Thanks for all the solid support. Gigi and I really appreciate it.
VernalPond
VernalPond
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-18, 22:23

SiRWesDragon wrote:I think he does cause he ships them too. BillHN is selling shrimps also cheaper. Youre kinda close to BillHN.  Rite?
Yes  closer to Olympia....but is bill selling his or Tanya's? I would like to diversify the shrump from locale to locale. What's shangos website?

Last edited by lloyd378 on 2013-09-18, 22:39; edited 1 time in total
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-09-18, 22:38

BillHN wrote:
I do do a cheaper rate, for yellows and reds atm. We're trying to get rid of them (hundreds for sale)...

25 yellows for 20 Dorrah
25 reds for 15 dorrah. PU only.

That being said.

Shango has a plethora of shrimpies for sale. 

(he also has magical water) and feeds them amazing food (more amazing than gigi's?... yes he has more natural food xDDDD added on top of gigi's!~) 

I can say his blue's are really nice looking!
SiRWesDragon wrote:Tempting but f*** you're 1hr and 4 min away from me. Damn whens the next swap. I'll be there on the next swap.  Very Happy 
lloyd378 wrote:
Yes  closer to Olympia....but is bill selling his or Tanya's? I would like to diversify the shrump from locale to locale
I already mentioned this earlier today, and I am tired of it.  People, this is VernalPond's thread in the product review forum.  NOT Bills sell his shrimp, thread.  I will be discussing with Cory about handing out warnings to individuals that 1)deliberately de-rail a thread 2)Troll a thread 3)try to sell their stuff on someone else thread. I love all of the new conversations that have been going on lately, but if it doesnt pertain to the OP topic, then start your own thread and talk about it.  
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-18, 22:45

Sorry! Didn't mean to derail..... I bought two bags of this food that will be shipped to me soon,so ill be back to share my experiences with the food once I get it. Thanks, madness please delete any of my previous comments that went sideways from the topic.
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-09-19, 00:38

Delete Mine too.

But yeah gigi's shrimp food is freaking awesome.  My shrumps love this stuff. They breed more today. More females are carrying eggs. Im amazed. Should of listen LJ and BillHN to buy more than 1 bag. Darn.

Back to top Go down

Post  sea1 2013-09-23, 16:47

How long does Gigi's Wonderfood last (refrigerated I assume)?

sea1
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-09-23, 17:55

Seal. It's freeze dry. When small discs are in the water, they hydrate and expand. You will not regret buying some for your shrumps or plecos.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-09-23, 18:04

sea1 wrote:How long does Gigi's Wonderfood last (refrigerated I assume)?
I've been using the same pack of wonderfood for several months, not refridgerated, still fine. Like Wes said, it's freeze dried, so not really any worries about expiring
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sea1 2013-09-23, 18:06

Lamental Jester wrote:
I've been using the same pack of wonderfood for several months, not refridgerated, still fine.  Like Wes said, it's freeze dried, so not really any worries about expiring
Thanks, sounds great. I'll go get some for my shrimp tank.

sea1
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-09-23, 19:28

That sample bag (like the size of 20sack of MJ) that Gigi was giving away. Lasted me only a week. Well could of lasted longer but was putting 2 disc a day. Couldn't help it. Wanted my shrimps happy. Did 30% water change yesterday and now saw more prego shrimps. I guess it helps get female shrimps ready for breeding. Now only putting a disc every 3 days.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pneumostome 2013-09-23, 23:44

The four factors that determine shelf life are temperature, oxygen, moisture and light. An unopened bag will easily stay fresh longer than an opened one. If you also store the bag in a cool, dark environment you can expect the food to be good for up to a year.

Once the bag is opened, you can expect the food to stay fresh for a few months. If you keep the bag sealed and protected from moisture, heat and light (like in the refrigerator) you can expect it to stay fresh much longer though. Smile

Thanks everyone for all of your kind words about Gig's Wonderfood!
Pneumostome
Pneumostome
Fry

http://www.natureinvinicble.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sea1 2013-09-23, 23:46

Thanks!

sea1
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-29, 10:58

Received my two bags early last week. I'd like to share that I bought it for my shrimp but when they disappeared I switched to apistos all before I got my new bag. I decided to give it to my plecos instead, and must share that the plecos love it! Even the ones that hide all the time come out right away to latch onto these vegi crisps ..... And on a crazy note, I need to mention that b/c of this food, I know have shrimp running all over my apisto tank. I actually saw 6 cherry shrimp last night at the same time when I dropped some of this food into the tank to feed my long finned albino bristlenose . It's good stuff, so all you Pleco lovers need to get a bag or two. I'm completely impressed.
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-29, 11:16

That's neat lloyd378, perhaps I will try cherry shrimp again. Shrimp & I don't do well, so thought I would ease back into trying. Couple months ago picked some Amano & they are nice & fat molting every couple weeks. That would so cool if I could get a colony of Cherrys to survive in my 140.

What's this got to do with Wonderfood?

Well, when I picked up my Amanos I had recently lost a lot of CRS. When I picked up the Amanos I also picked up GIGIs Wonderfood. Over the last couple months I've expanded to feed all my Cory's (BIG & dwarfs), and snails Wonderfood. All these critters love this stuff.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down