Is this food safe for Freshwater Shrimp?

2 posters

Go down

Is this food safe for Freshwater Shrimp? Empty Is this food safe for Freshwater Shrimp?

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-03-07, 15:27

I own land hermit crabs, and I buy this specialized food for them that contains natural, preservative free ingredients...I figured if it's safe for land hermit crabs, that it would be safe for freshwater shrimp . . . but I just wanted to double check with you all. And if it does seem safe, then I would definitely recommend stuff from their site, because my hermit crabs go CRAZY over this food, as opposed to commercial hermit crab food you can buy in petstores. This stuff is basically dehydrated, and grinded into little bite sized pieces, almost to a powdered form with little chunks of shrimp, here and there (great source of chitin for hermit crabs).

Here's the product, that lists the ingredients
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I also have this stuff, which my hermit crabs go nuts for as well:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I wanna try and see if I can feed these to my shrimp (red cherry shrimp, amano shrimp, malawa shrimp, and ghost shrimp, is what I currently have in my 10 gal).
Figured I'd re-hydrate them before introducing it into the tank, or just sprinkling the food over the tank and letting it all re-hydrate in there. OR somehow incorporate gelatin in the mix, to make little gelatin pieces that will sink to the bottom of the tank. What do you all think?
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Is this food safe for Freshwater Shrimp? Empty Re: Is this food safe for Freshwater Shrimp?

Post  pbmax 2013-03-07, 17:02

I looked at the first one and all the ingredients look fine. I'm not sure what "mineral supplement" is, but if your hermits are fine then it's likely shrimp safe.

You could just sprinkle it in - shrimp will eat stuff upside down off the surface of the water if you have low enough water flow across the surface. Regardless, it should eventually saturate and sink and they'll eat it there.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Is this food safe for Freshwater Shrimp? Empty Re: Is this food safe for Freshwater Shrimp?

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-03-07, 17:17

Yeah, I was thinking about the mineral supplements as well. I will see if can contact the seller, and see what exactly she puts in her hermit crab food. I would think it would be a nice alternative to shrimp pellets and the like. Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down