Food you just can't survive without ( fish food... that is)

+4
dmopar74
Betty
Wolf-Keeper1
Sonicdog
8 posters

Go down

Food you just can't survive without ( fish food... that is) Empty Food you just can't survive without ( fish food... that is)

Post  Sonicdog 2010-11-24, 02:30

I am curious if there are fish foods that your shelf, freezer or garage are never without, and why. My list: microworms, artermia cysts ( for either fresh-hatched or decapped eggs), golden pearls and flake from Brine shrimp direct, and homemade seafood-based and vitamin-laced paste food. Daphnia in the summer... if anyone has luck culturing them over the winter please share your technique. Anyone tried the Plecocaine that is sold on Aquabid? I have been tempted to order some, I hear the vendor often includes samples of other foods, which seem to get rave reviews. How about Better than Brine? anybody tried it? like it?
cheers

Sonicdog
Fry

Back to top Go down

Food you just can't survive without ( fish food... that is) Empty Re: Food you just can't survive without ( fish food... that is)

Post  Wolf-Keeper1 2010-11-24, 04:33

Just out of curiosity what are you feeding those all sound so small. I'm freash to the hobby but all my fish eat tilapia fillets, cichlid gold, some other pellets that I went in on a group buy with and whole krill, worms my daughter finds in the yard. I do mysis shrimp for my smaller grow outs. I usually am stocked with any/all of those at any givin moment. I don't personally have a single food I like more then any other. I just try to switch up every day so me and the fish don't get bored.
Wolf-Keeper1
Wolf-Keeper1
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Food you just can't survive without ( fish food... that is) Empty Re: Food you just can't survive without ( fish food... that is)

Post  Betty 2010-11-24, 10:55

I keep it very simple. New Life Spectrum cichlid formula and Thera A are the foods I'm never without.

I also try to keep frozen baby brine shrimp and mysis shrimp in the freezer.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sonicdog 2010-11-24, 14:08

Just out of curiosity what are you feeding those all sound so small.
I have a thing about tiny fish.. tiny livebearers, dwarf corys, shrimp, mini killies
Hey I see that many of the high-end foods ( like NLS) are marketed as "hormone -free". Is there a problem with that in the industry? Imma go out on a limb and guess that to attain size and color , some additives may make it into foods that are not optimum. Is the Thera A for wild caught specimens that have parasites or do you use it for general health maintenance?

Sonicdog
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  dmopar74 2010-11-24, 14:10

market shrimp

dmopar74
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  endangered cichlids 2010-11-24, 15:26

lol , kio pellets and a pill crucher from walmart ...lol .. spirilinia - best for babys . and my frozen homemade food ... i normally have 3 pounds on hand .. i make it 1 time every 2 weeks
endangered cichlids
endangered cichlids

http://www.camelotpainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacko 2010-11-24, 15:36

I have a rather extensive list of food...
Daphnia (haven't had any troubles keeping it during the winter), microworms, vinigar eels, golden pearls (100-300 micron), hikari shrimp cuisine, kensfish spirulina flake, kensfish veggie sticks and frozen bloodworms.
Jacko
Jacko
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Spyral 2010-11-24, 15:47

Mysis.
Spyral
Spyral
Contributing Member

http://www.dinkypage.com/54184

Back to top Go down

Post  Sonicdog 2010-11-24, 17:12

Daphnia (haven't had any troubles keeping it during the winter),
Cool, would you mind elaborating. My indoor cultures tend to crash. Dunno if I have magna or pulex, or if it makes a difference. My outdoor container cracked and drained awhile back and I didn't get to it before hubby washed it out and cleaned up all the debris that had the cysts. Shocked

Sonicdog
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacko 2010-11-24, 18:32

Mine seems super simple, so im probably doing it wrong Razz Mine are D. magna

5.5 gallon AGA tank, 2 13W spiral CFL bulbs (10 gallon lighting), 3/4 full of old tank water, daphnia and pond snails (clean up anything the daphnia don't get). Throw in a large pinch of yeast once a day, temperature is right around 70 degrees (no heater, on the floor hidden out of sight)

oh, and once a week I dump green water in there from my 2 liter culture sitting next to the tank. I could do once a day but it's more work than yeast.
Jacko
Jacko
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sonicdog 2010-11-24, 20:34

Thank You Jacko!

Sonicdog
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  endangered cichlids 2010-11-24, 20:50

what is this guys , im dumb . sorry . also pics if possible ..
endangered cichlids
endangered cichlids

http://www.camelotpainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolf-Keeper1 2010-11-24, 22:03

Endangered, what does your home made food consist of? I know you have preds too so curious maybe more cost efficient and better nutrients making my own.
Wolf-Keeper1
Wolf-Keeper1
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2010-11-24, 22:54

Mysis, raw tiger shrimp & scallops from the seafood dept, vitamins, silversides, cyclopeze, nori, coral frenzy, sps grow, zooplex, phytoplankton....and about three other bottles of stuff, spiralina tablets and flakes, mixed tropical flakes.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolf-Keeper1 2010-11-24, 23:15

When making your own food is it blended in a blender or grinder or food processor or do we just make sure it's all blended well. I'm about to smash all my ingredients together so some experienced info would help thanks.
Wolf-Keeper1
Wolf-Keeper1
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2010-11-24, 23:44

You can use a food processor. You dont want to puree it, just chop it up good all together is fine and put it in a freezer bag lay it flat so its only about a quarter inch thick and freeze it. When you feed, break a piece off, rinse it in fresh water and then feed it.

I just use a knife and cut or shave it up in pieces small enough, mix it together and freeze it.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sonicdog 2010-11-25, 00:24

Paste food pearls: Be bold with the gelatin ( sucks to have things fall apart before you get to watch them tear it apart). Steamed and pureed beets yield a bright red color. Frozen mixed seafood is often cheap and processes like lilfishie says: very well. I avoid salmon because its too fatty, and can leave a grease slick.
Don't... under any circumstances... put nightcrawlers ( even frozen ones) in a blender! Suspect heh heh

Sonicdog
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2010-11-25, 00:42

Sonicdog wrote:
Don't... under any circumstances... put nightcrawlers ( even frozen ones) in a blender! Suspect heh heh

LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolf-Keeper1 2010-11-25, 01:14

I may sound dumb, but why? I'm ready to blend mine together as soon as the gf gets back from the store. Although I don't have nightcrawlers I may have something of similar texture.
Wolf-Keeper1
Wolf-Keeper1
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sonicdog 2010-11-25, 02:11

Blending nightcrawlers will create a sticky, slimy goo, that 3M might offer you royalties for, but industrial strength cleaners will be hard pressed to remove from your blender; not that you would ever use that blender for anything ever again. Then the sticky mess does not emulsify well with the rest of the paste food ingredients... and it traps air bubbles... Think "Aliens" with chunks. Oh yeah, and the smell... its wrong. Stick with seafood or beef heart and the process will be enjoyable. Lots of good recipes on the web, I use an approximation of those posted on the GSAS and the AKA websites. cheers

Sonicdog
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down