What are some good brands of heaters?

+2
Madness
Ubermunch
6 posters

Go down

What are some good brands of heaters? Empty What are some good brands of heaters?

Post  Ubermunch 2012-12-02, 00:23

I wanted to know if Hagen Elites are any good?

Ubermunch
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

What are some good brands of heaters? Empty Re: What are some good brands of heaters?

Post  Madness 2012-12-02, 03:22

Never used those, but I love the Jager heaters my self.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

What are some good brands of heaters? Empty Re: What are some good brands of heaters?

Post  DMD123 2012-12-02, 11:18

I have used Hydor in line heaters for years now on my canister filters and have had zero problems. I love the fact the giant glass tube is gone from the tank, gives a much more realistic appearance to the tank and is safer for the fish.

I also have been using Sera heaters. They are pretty compact and they include a protective cover so that your fish will not break it or burn themselves. Here is my review of the Sera: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And of course the Jager heaters are also high quality and dependable, though they are huge.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2012-12-02, 15:35

I use mostly rena smartheaters, though they're starting to fail now after 2+ years. They've kept very consistent heat and like the hydor inline heaters they reduce equipment in the tank (they're still in the tank, but they replace your canister or HOB intake tube). They're discontinued now, unfortunately. Sad

My new favorite is the Aqueon Pro (black plastic, not glass). So far they've been keeping stable, accurate heat. I got a fluval m100 pile of crap from petsmart last weekend when one of my smartheaters kicked the bucket. So far it's neither consistent nor accurate. Oh well... they didn't have the Aqueon Pros and I didn't want to be anywhere near the Olympia mall (the local Petco's over there) the weekend after thanksgiving! affraid
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Addicted2CAs 2012-12-02, 20:15

Definitely the jagers they are consistent and just keep going. I have recently tried a Via Aqua titanium 300watt with the separate temp probe and thermostat and it seems to be very good and it has been about 4 months now.

Not sure on the Hagens. I know the fluvals are junk like pbmax stated. I have tried 3 in the past and they are worthless if you need to rely on just them to heat your tank.
Addicted2CAs
Addicted2CAs

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2012-12-03, 01:55

Finex and jagger.

Back to top Go down

Post  gobluecichlids 2012-12-03, 02:21

90% of my heaters are jagers. I don't trust store brands or cheap ones, the heat sensors melt and locks the heater to on all the time. Much wiser to invest more in good heaters than kill your fish stock.
gobluecichlids
gobluecichlids
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2012-12-03, 17:05

Additionally, it's a good idea to use temperature alarms, ideally on all tanks.

I keep lifegard temp alarms on all but 1 of my tanks and they've come in handy. They let you set a temp range so that if the tank gets too hot or too cold the alarm lets you know about it.

I don't totally trust any brand of heaters... they all die, it's just a matter of when and how (stuck on or off).
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ubermunch 2012-12-03, 20:12

Thanks for all the responses i guess jagger is the way to go. I just saw the Hagen Elites for super cheap so i was considering them. Thanks again.

Ubermunch
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  gobluecichlids 2012-12-04, 01:20

Ubermunch wrote:Thanks for all the responses i guess jagger is the way to go. I just saw the Hagen Elites for super cheap so i was considering them. Thanks again.

I find them cheaper online than in stores. many online is offering free ship with min purchase requirements and best of all, no sale tax. Remember, gas isn't cheap driving around.
gobluecichlids
gobluecichlids
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down