DIY custom plumb of in-line heaters on FX5

3 posters

Go down

DIY custom plumb of in-line heaters on FX5 Empty DIY custom plumb of in-line heaters on FX5

Post  DMD123 2014-08-17, 10:06

When I talk to others about my custom plumbed 300watt Hydor eth heaters on an FX5, there are always a ton of questions. So I thought I would post how I did it. The problem is that the FX5 uses a 1" tubing and the heaters are 5/8", so a special adapter needs to be made.
Its just a couple simple PVC fittings to make it work. A 1" barb adapter into two 1/2" barbs. The 5/8" heater tubing will work on the 1/2" barbs but will be slightly loose so a hose clamp is absolutely necessary. Just make two of these, one at the bottom and one at the top with some short 5/8" tubing to connect. Then you will have to replace the Fluval ribbed tubing with smooth type. I also made custom PVC spray bars, but you will have to figure a way to get the output of water into the tank.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Actually I had changed the barbed fitting a little but this is what is going on under my stand. Had to zip tie it in to keep heaters upright
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hope that gives some inspiration to those who would like to do similar. PVC plumbing parts are your friend and you just need to think outside the box.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

DIY custom plumb of in-line heaters on FX5 Empty Re: DIY custom plumb of in-line heaters on FX5

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-08-17, 12:28

Clapping - nice mod DMD123. Definitely like!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

DIY custom plumb of in-line heaters on FX5 Empty Re: DIY custom plumb of in-line heaters on FX5

Post  DMD123 2014-08-17, 13:33

Thank you. Took me a while to dig up pics.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hbluehunter 2014-08-18, 09:05

Great idea !! Thinking i should do something like this and get my heaters out of my overflows.. Smile
Just curious did you install this on the return side or input side of the FX5 ?? If on the return side did it cut the flow much ??
hbluehunter
hbluehunter
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-08-18, 09:59

I did it on the output side but have made custom spraybars so I have a real good flow. Using two on one line seems to still keep good flow going. Been running this set up for a few years now with no problems to the FX5.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down