algae growth wanted

5 posters

Go down

algae growth wanted Empty algae growth wanted

Post  Guest 2011-04-20, 10:41

got a 40 g with a 2in jd and 2 1 1/2in fm in it (55 upgrade when can afford it) Neutral 2 pieces of driftwood in, and vallisneria in one corner. IT is not in a window, or near one (no natural light). how can i encourage algae growth, other than buying algae-starter kits, which i cant get at my LFS. any ideas? thnx Smile

Back to top Go down

algae growth wanted Empty Re: algae growth wanted

Post  Guest 2011-04-20, 10:42

NOTE: i have brown algae growin on the plastic under the lid light, but i want the GREEN

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintguy 2011-04-20, 15:39

I would think a grow light would do the trick or just brighter tank lights. Most people want to get rid of it though.
Paintguy
Paintguy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2011-04-20, 17:13

i dont want it profusely, but my tank is BARE, except for inside the filter....i like it to an extent so it looks more natural, like growing on the driftwood..... if i went and put a 5g tank of water in the sun and aerated it, if algae grew in it, could i just add that water and algae to the tank and have algae come from that? the 40 g has been set up for over a year and none will grow, except on the filter...... thanx for the help Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adonijah 2011-04-21, 17:14

You want algae? Isn't someone right now selling a dual 48" t5ho on CL and here for $50? As Paintguy said, you will need more light/more hours of light.

It's too bad you don't like the brown or else I'd tell you just to ring out your filter pad into your tank and turn off your powerheads. Everything will be brown when it settles, lol.
Adonijah
Adonijah
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2011-04-21, 18:00

if the brown looked natural,,,,,,,and attractive, i wouldnt mind. but green is prefered. is it MORE light i need, or BETTER light? its usually on for at least 6am to 8pm (school and all), but nothing. the filter is loaded with brown, like you said, but its not the color i want. Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2011-04-21, 18:03

and what are those bulbs? i have in mine "Coral Life", even though its freshwater....i like the 50-50 it gives blue light and "natural" sunlight.....

Back to top Go down

Post  Adonijah 2011-04-21, 18:45

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I had this on my 55, plants grew great under it. Now for under my 75, not so much.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Adonijah
Adonijah
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2011-04-24, 18:36

excess nutrients are what your after my good man. try adding more fertilizers to the water. nothing super serious but maybe 1.5x whatever your currently using. the more nutrients the plants don't use the more the algae can use. GL to ya.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  WhosUrDadi 2011-04-24, 18:49

get a plant grow light. put atleast 1 natural plant in there. make sure that your tank have a high current water. that should do the work.
WhosUrDadi
WhosUrDadi
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  fishloverRon 2011-04-25, 02:27

I have some nice filamentous alga growing in my goldfish pond rith now if you'd like some of it. I'm in NE Tacoma. Let me know if you want to come and get it. PM me.
fishloverRon
fishloverRon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down