Weird growth in 4 gallon cube. (2 Photos)

5 posters

Go down

Weird growth in 4 gallon cube. (2 Photos) Empty Weird growth in 4 gallon cube. (2 Photos)

Post  thecarl 2014-05-01, 22:51

I discovered something I've never seen before growing on the glass in my 4 gallon cube.  Please help, want to identify it just in case it's harmful. Looks more like something one would find in salt water.  Shocked Photos below.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Any ideas?

--
Carl

thecarl
Fry

http://www.shorelineweather.com

Back to top Go down

Weird growth in 4 gallon cube. (2 Photos) Empty Re: Weird growth in 4 gallon cube. (2 Photos)

Post  Guest 2014-05-02, 10:49

Wow. Idk what it is but It looks funky. Btw your tank needs some scraping off some stuff on glass. JK. LMFAO

Back to top Go down

Weird growth in 4 gallon cube. (2 Photos) Empty Re: Weird growth in 4 gallon cube. (2 Photos)

Post  KaraWolf 2014-05-02, 11:19

I swear I thought I've seen this before in research but I'm coming up with nothing.
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2014-05-02, 12:36

Thanks to a bit of Binging: Slime mold!

(offtopic)
I used to get attacked by these things in "Gateway to Apshai", a video game I played on my Commodore 64 as a kid.  I can still hear the creature attack noise in my head.  Neutral  But that's not terribly helpful here...
(/offtopic)

From what I managed to find, it sounds like they're harmless - just an aesthetic thing like algae.  I'd remove it post haste to prevent spreading!  Shocked
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  thecarl 2014-05-02, 13:04

Interesting, I was thinking it was some kind of mold possibly.  

I went up a few hours after posting this and it was gone.  I did no scraping or anything else to the tank.  So either it crawls around or the shrimp found it and took care of it.    Algae in this tank is good, lots of guppy fry that eat a lot of it.  I've only been cleaning the algae off of the front side of the tank for now.  Then later last night when I turned the light off I found more of it on another wall, which freaks me out a little, is this a crawling organism?  Laughing I didn't see it yet today but I haven't studied the tank closely yet.

thecarl
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2014-05-02, 13:07

According to wikipedia they definitely do move.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Good luck catching it!  Suspect Very Happy 
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  thecarl 2014-05-02, 13:24

After doing more research, apparently it normally lives in gravel or substrate, this tank has black fluorite sand in it. It's apparently harmless, and is not a true fungi so it's nearly impossible to remove from the aquarium without bleaching the entire tank and contents in it. It can move at several centimeters per hour... interesting little organism.

thecarl
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2014-05-02, 13:36

Indeed. Sounds like a prime candidate for time-lapse video!  cheers 
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2014-05-02, 13:37

OK that is so utterly discusting that it MOVES and is considered a mold. Double triple gazillion ick!
And yes, I would watch the timelapse video of it.
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  thecarl 2014-05-02, 14:03

It's common name is slime mold, but as I said, it's not actually a fungi - Molds are fungi. It's an organism normally in all aquariums, you just don't see it because it typically stays out of light and in the substrate. I suspect my sand makes it a little more difficult to hide.

thecarl
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  thecarl 2014-05-02, 14:05

pbmax wrote:Indeed.  Sounds like a prime candidate for time-lapse video!  cheers 

I'll have to figure out how to do a time laps, any easy tricks or apps for that?

thecarl
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2014-05-02, 15:12

hehe, no, I've never done it before ( Embarassed ), but searching "time lapse" on google play returns a ton of stuff.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Missgrumpygills 2014-05-02, 15:21

Looks like tank cobwebs  lol! weird!
Missgrumpygills
Missgrumpygills
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  thecarl 2014-05-02, 15:27

Yes! that was my thought too, cobwebs? underwater? pirat  thinking back, I think I've seen it before in substrate but confused it probably for plant roots. Today it's hiding, no where to be found in the tank.

-Carl

thecarl
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2014-05-02, 15:28

thecarl wrote:Today it's hiding, no where to be found in the tank.

That's 'cuz it's UNDER YOUR BED!   affraid
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  thecarl 2014-05-02, 15:29

pbmax wrote:
thecarl wrote:Today it's hiding, no where to be found in the tank.

That's 'cuz it's UNDER YOUR BED!   affraid

lol! 

thecarl
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-05-02, 20:34

Dancing slime mold Smile

cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Missgrumpygills 2014-05-02, 21:57

Cool!  affraid
Missgrumpygills
Missgrumpygills
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down