iandraco
SonicsDC25
finray56
bronzefighter
cichlid-gal
Betty
11 posters

Go down

Who's holding/spawning in your tank(s)? Empty Who's holding/spawning in your tank(s)?

Post  Betty 2014-03-04, 01:51

This seems to be a popular topic on a lot of cichlid forums, so I thought we needed one here as well.  Very Happy 

Right now I have a holding P. multicolor Victoriae, two cherry spot Tropheus, and a L. caeruleus.

What about your tanks?

Last edited by Betty on 2014-03-17, 12:07; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edited title)
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Who's holding/spawning in your tank(s)? Empty Re: Who's holding/spawning in your tank(s)?

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-03-04, 09:32

Also P. multicolor victoriae, X. sp. "kyoga flameback", P. pulcher always in the cave spawning, M. sp. "zebra gold", P. Polit, lyretail molly, lime green endlers, C. lateralis

oops....I missed the Dwarf Blue Panda Guppies...female dropped today ... love these little guys

Last edited by cichlid-gal on 2014-03-08, 18:47; edited 1 time in total
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Who's holding/spawning in your tank(s)? Empty Re: Who's holding/spawning in your tank(s)?

Post  Betty 2014-03-04, 10:05

Aw, polits. Several years ago I looked all over trying to find some and never came across any.

You have a lot of spawning going on, Donna. Do you find that it comes in periods where you have several reproducing around the same time and other times when none are? Or is there always something spawning?
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-03-04, 13:27

Betty....I almost always have fish spawning in my tanks. The livebearers just keep bearing and the cichlids just keep holding. I've just been letting all the babies stay in the main tanks. Some have survived and others I never even see the babies although I know I had one or two or even three mothers holding or I see the babies and then they are gone in a bit (eaten I'm sure).

The only fish that is slower on the spawn are the zebra golds...I haven't had a spawn from them for about 5 months. They stopped late last summer/early fall and just began spawning again in January. If I recall, that was the time of year that I had my very 1st spawn from them originally. Something must be seasonal for them....length of day maybe, I'm not sure?
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter 2014-03-04, 20:46

I've got lots of RCS holding eggs right now... does that count?

My demasoni are holding now, I had no idea they reached sexual maturity at such a small size.
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2014-03-07, 13:55

Donna, I used to wonder if it was a seasonal thing. It seems like I usually have spawing in several tanks around the same time and other times, nothing is holding in any tank.

Bronzefighter, I was surprised when my demasoni would be holding at a size that I thought they were still juvies. Not many babies fit in those little mouths. The Victoriae are the same way.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-03-07, 17:16

The mollies arrived...probably 20+ little babies...light colored heads and dark colored tails. I moved over half of them to my endlers tank for growout as the babies just don't survive in the 33G long with the parent mollies and the congo tetras.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  finray56 2014-03-08, 18:30

I have one Tropheus Golden Kiriza holding rite now and none of my other groups are holding at the moment. To be honest its kind of nice for a change, although I did a water change yesterday so that will probably change real soon.
finray56
finray56
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2014-03-17, 12:09

I have two more victoriae holding and another cherry spot.

Also discovered that my calvus had spawned.  (I had given up on them and this was unexpected.  cheers )
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-03-17, 13:27

Congrats finray and Betty...pics pics baby pics Smile
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2014-04-21, 12:50

Yesterday after I got home I found that my F1 Jalo Reef female is holding  Smile  Father is in the 1st pic, 2nd pic the holding female is on the bottom by the sand, and last pic is of the holding female.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  iandraco 2014-04-21, 13:36

2 ob peacocoks, 1 yellow lab, 3 demasoni, 1 cyprichromis kigoma, caudopunks, and my super red/calico bushynose.
iandraco
iandraco

Back to top Go down

Post  iandraco 2014-04-21, 13:37

oh yeah, i saw a few tiny Kitumba Brevis during water changes this weekend too.
iandraco
iandraco

Back to top Go down

Post  fishloverRon 2014-04-21, 14:33

Got a pair of Apistogramma cacatuoides sporting a spawn of fry all over Linda's 12g bookcase tank!
I think going to Cory's Friday afternoon made them come out and show them off to me when I got home!
fishloverRon
fishloverRon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JimA 2014-04-21, 15:58

I knew a couple of my Rainbows were holding, one must have spit the other days I noticed 1/2 a dozen little guys hiding in the rocks. I still have one other holding and she will probably be spitting in the next few days.. Others still getting shaggy with it..  Smile 

JimA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Killybeys 2014-04-21, 16:21

I bought two albino corys last night from cory, and about an hour after putting them they laid eggs everywhere. Sadly they are in a rainbow fish tank so most of them got eaten but I saved a couple!
Killybeys
Killybeys
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-04-21, 16:28

Figured that would happen for you, They were starting to spawn at the shop Razz
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Simone.Augie 2014-04-24, 16:44

My A. Caudopunctatus have spawned several times. I read that they don't eat their babies but the cloud of little white fry keeps disappearing. Does anyone know why?

The breeding pair is not the only fish in the tank. But it is a species tank. Sometimes 3 or 4 adults are going nose down and communicating with their color bands.
Simone.Augie
Simone.Augie
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Simone.Augie 2014-04-24, 16:46

[quote="Simone.Augie"]My A. Caudopunctatus have spawned several times. I read that they don't eat their babies but the cloud of little white fry keeps disappearing. Does anyone know why?

Oops, that's N. caudopunctatus.
Simone.Augie
Simone.Augie
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down