holding Zebra

3 posters

Go down

holding Zebra Empty holding Zebra

Post  Billiethekid 2011-02-26, 22:49

So my Red Zebra Female was holding and I was curious of who she was gettin it on with so i stripped her eggs and stuck them in a bubbler... thinking I might get lucky to have a couple max eggs... No she had 20 in there all of them had little wrigglin fish attached to massive yokes... I was excited when i saw that.. Well they are all still good and wrigglin every now and then but what this is all about is... Should she Be guarding the bubbler from every fish tht comes within 6 inches??
As in she attacks them hardcore not just chase em away but actually makes contact with em and Ive seen scales fall a couple times...
Might I add she is a Red Zebra from Larry and the largest 3 males are all Red Zebras from him =-) and that she has always been Peaceful >.>
Billiethekid
Billiethekid
FishBox Member

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/andrew.arcand

Back to top Go down

holding Zebra Empty Re: holding Zebra

Post  Addictedtofish 2011-02-27, 01:33

When I see my mouthbrooders holding I wait 2 weeks then strip her and put the fry in a seperate 10 gal to raise. This way she is not holding them for a month and taking the chance of starving herself and possibly the fry, at this time the fry have barley a yoke sack left and you dont have to put them in a tubbler and within a week there eating on there own.
Addictedtofish
Addictedtofish
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2011-02-27, 02:47

Grats Billie!

I've never put my tumblers in the tank with adults so I haven't observed the behavior. When I let one spit in the tank, though, they do sometimes try to protect the young for a while - usually 1-2 days. After that the mommy genes wear off and any wanderers become snacks, even to mommy.
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down