Anthraxx
Ratlova30
aquaman95
sandnuka
9 posters

Go down

Holding Demasoni Empty Holding Demasoni

Post  sandnuka 2012-03-26, 03:49

Normally I wouldnt just post when my fish start holding, but this is just the most amazing thing I have ever seen.... let me explain....... My tank recently had a horrific experience with a fish and intake to filter, long story short, dead fish in the tank for awhile, STINKY GROSS WATER!.... So trying everything I can to remove the smell, I create a ammonia spike, almost like a new tank cycling issue.... I decide to try and save my fish by doing a 90% water change this morning to reduce ammonia..... what do you know, the giant water change and drop in temp in the tank caused an orgy effect on my demasoni..... lol.... i have two holding females right now! CRAZY!!!

So I thought about stripping the fish, but these poor guys have gone thru so much this week I dont want to put them thru it...... Im thinking I just will keep up the giant water changes, try to reduce ammonia, and get rid of the dead fish smell. Then if they are still holding, I will consider stripping them. Probably will just let them spit in the tank though. we'll see. Smile I will try to get some pictures of the holding parents.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Holding Demasoni Empty Re: Holding Demasoni

Post  aquaman95 2012-03-26, 10:48

bounce demasoni is my 2nd favorite african!!I cant wait for pics Exclamation
aquaman95
aquaman95
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-03-26, 16:17

Yay!
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2012-03-26, 16:41

rofl sand i told u there was girls in that group. they just didnt get to color up with the haras. IMO i wouldnt worry toooo much about chem levels.. clearly your doing something right. i also didnt wanna strip them, ive had too many issues stripping fish and stressing them to death in the process. especially at such a small size. glad theyre working out for you tho.. just dont give up on em so soon Smile. gl with the smell ttyl bro
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  iandraco 2012-03-26, 18:32

try using some Prime. it will knock out the ammonia and detoxify nitrite and nitrate. great stuff. it will save you a lot of work with your water changes. congrats on the spawns.
iandraco
iandraco

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-03-26, 22:12

waterchanges are completly neccessary for the stink dead fish smell.... or really I wouldnt be doing any changes at all right now..... it really sucks cause I know I am stressing the hell out of them from the water parameters, out of tap I get low 6.0 ph..... so I have to add baking soda and epsom salt to harden up the water and raise PH.... so I know there all over the place right now from the water changes and dumping in stuff in the tank..... I am not counting on this batch of fry to survive to be honest... but kinda cool that it happend....

I really think using cold water when doing water changes makes them spawn..... I know some people try to match the water that is in the tank, i always put cold water in though.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-03-27, 00:05

Dead daddy....... Ok, my coolest dom. male is gone....... it had nothing to do with ammonia, or nitrite..... just a stupid error on my part...... I decided on doing a 100% water change and clean the sand a little..... throw out the shells cause I think there are some fish that crawled up and died in them...... anyway, there is one shell that is very large, my fish loved to hide in it.... I grabbed it out of the tank, shook out two fish into the temp bucket home.... looked inside, all looked well, so tossed it to dry out.... next thing I know I come in the room and it stinks again! i almost cried! then i noticed it wasnt coming from the tank, but coming from the shell..... and there he was..... my dominent demasoni male... he was gorgeous.... DEAD! Sad

God, this hobby is really starting to kill me..... my tropheus tank on the other hand is doing better than anything I have ever owned. just wish everything went that way Sad ...... SO, i decided to strip mom, I got 9 eggs... 1 is infertile.... I will put them in my egg tumbler and post pictures soon.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2012-03-27, 03:49

hey awesome at least u got some eggs and plenty of females left. im sure theres a male left outta that group. really bummer none the less.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-03-27, 03:53

Anthraxx wrote:hey awesome at least u got some eggs and plenty of females left. im sure theres a male left outta that group. really bummer none the less.

Well I dont know about plenty of females.... evidently there was only one holding.... The other wasnt, just looked as if it was... its crazy how quickly dominance changes when someone leaves..... the largest female has gotten back her color completly, and taken over the best spot in the tank... It almost looks like she is the boss, but I thought she was a female and you said she was holding for you once?? anyway, there is another guy, well I think it is a guy.... he quickly beat up everyone and now is trying to take control, but leaves the large female alone..... whish i knew who is who in there. anyway, itleast the smell is gone, and yeah, I got eggs! Smile
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2012-03-27, 04:06

the smaller ones were mostly females and that big ole gal. any of the others with a powder blue mixed with deep lavender almost are also males i know there was two or three. and that funky jaw guy was a male.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  iandraco 2012-03-27, 09:01

congrats on the tropheus spawn. sorry to hear about your dominant male demasoni. i love my demasoni and would hate to loose any. strange thing in my tank was that the biggest and most dominant demasoni turned out to be a big female. the way she ran the show i thought she was a male for sure until she was holding eggs.
iandraco
iandraco

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-03-27, 15:26

iandraco wrote:congrats on the tropheus spawn. sorry to hear about your dominant male demasoni. i love my demasoni and would hate to loose any. strange thing in my tank was that the biggest and most dominant demasoni turned out to be a big female. the way she ran the show i thought she was a male for sure until she was holding eggs.

My demasoni is holding... not my tropheus... my tropheus are all less than 4 - 6 months old... there all tiny lil guys...... but thanks anyway, i know what you meant. Smile

anthrax - I culled messed up jaw guy... his jaw, plus his bad stripes, I thought if he spawned his kids would have a high percentage in looking twisted...... I lost itleast 1 male in the intake or shell..... so I think if you said there is only three, Im in big trouble! lol..... But i really think there is another male.... honestly I think there was way more male than female.... only true way to find out is to vent them, but there too small for that... just gonna have to wait and see.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2012-03-27, 16:10

ya im sure you lucked out. ive seen at least 4 of the smaller girls holding (seperate fish) and then aggression and displaying for girls from at least 3-4 fish. so that still leaves 4 unknowns. either way getting more from larry would be no big deal. GL getting em going again, at least you finally found the problem.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-03-27, 16:59

to be honest, the dom male was causing so many problems, i was debating taking him out... he was beating fish up so badly they would just hover at the top of the water... which is horrible! The guy I am thinking is a male and trying to replace the old dom male is colored up and taken full control of the tank now.... he used to get picked on so much by the dom male that died his tale is all ripped up and fins shredded... now he is the new king. lol
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  iandraco 2012-03-27, 20:08

My demasoni is holding... not my tropheus... my tropheus are all less than 4 - 6 months old... there all tiny lil guys...... but thanks anyway, i know what you meant. Smile

oops. my bad. congrats anyway.
iandraco
iandraco

Back to top Go down

Post  Tr182md 2012-03-28, 14:11

Did you try carbon in the filter? Should get rid of smell.

Tr182md
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-03-28, 16:33

Tr182md wrote:Did you try carbon in the filter? Should get rid of smell.

yep, but the problem was there was still dead fish hidden in a shell.... now everything is great! Smile you can see all the stuff I did on my other thread. "HELP STINK TANK"
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  InfamousRedlineZ 2012-03-28, 19:18

Glad to hear that your skink bomb is getting better. You got any pictures of them demasoni? and congrates
InfamousRedlineZ
InfamousRedlineZ

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-03-28, 21:59

Sorry it took so long.... here are some pictures.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2012-03-29, 01:52

Nice looking fish and eggs. Smile

The demasoni looks really different from the ones I used to keep. Mine didn't have that many bars on the body.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  InfamousRedlineZ 2012-03-29, 05:39

Looking at your demasoni makes be miss mine :'( even though yours has more black than mine Smile looks good though and nice eggs
InfamousRedlineZ
InfamousRedlineZ

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-03-29, 06:06

Betty wrote:Nice looking fish and eggs. Smile

The demasoni looks really different from the ones I used to keep. Mine didn't have that many bars on the body.

Honestly, He looks the most demasoni ish compared to some of the others.... I have a few that arent even blue, more violet and there bars are not black, but dark purple.... craziest thing I have ever seen..... but I really do like the dom. male color... the dark black and blues with some white along the fins just looks awesome when he is in breeding mode.

and what do you mean "used to keep" I thought you still had demasoni with your mbunas?
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  iandraco 2012-03-29, 09:10

great looking demasoni.
iandraco
iandraco

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2012-03-29, 21:35

sandnuka wrote:
Betty wrote:Nice looking fish and eggs. Smile

Honestly, He looks the most demasoni ish compared to some of the others.... I have a few that arent even blue, more violet and there bars are not black, but dark purple.... craziest thing I have ever seen..... but I really do like the dom. male color... the dark black and blues with some white along the fins just looks awesome when he is in breeding mode.

and what do you mean "used to keep" I thought you still had demasoni with your mbunas?
I bought my demasoni back in 2004 or 05 -- a long time ago and they have dwindled away to no more left. Sad
I found some pics of a few of mine that I posted awhile back --- [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] . Mine had fewer bars. I don't know if that's something that varies with Pombo Rocks, but I've seen pictures of the Mozambique that have more bars.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-03-29, 21:44

Thats right, I remember yours... i loved the way they looked! the thicker bars and such a nice blue under.... too bad there all gone now. Sad
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  iandraco 2012-03-30, 08:43

those look great too.
iandraco
iandraco

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-03-30, 16:49

Here is some pictures of the babies growing.... out of the 9 eggs, 6 are fertile.... lets hope all 6 make it. Smile

sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-03-30, 17:32

More pictures

here is the alpha, no flash sorry, it was hiding whenever i used flash.

here is one of the female, think this one was the mom

this is an omega, or an outkast male that zoomed in for a picture taken

sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2012-03-30, 18:42

Hey Sand be sure to siphon those 3 bad eggs out before long. They'll mold and kill the other eggs if you're not careful.

Nice tumblers, they look just like mine. Smile
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-03-30, 19:11

larry.beck wrote:Hey Sand be sure to siphon those 3 bad eggs out before long. They'll mold and kill the other eggs if you're not careful.

Nice tumblers, they look just like mine. Smile

Three bad ones are gone... took them out as soon as I noticed they werent fertile... one of them floated to the top, and the other two never got the lil black eyes and I waited until everyone had tails and then took them out to itleast give them a chance to see if they were just slow developers....

Im sure the tumbler is from the same guy, he sells on aquabid and ebay.... the first time I got a couple I only got the one with on layer, stupid mistake, the fish just sucked the babies right thru the mesh! So this time I went with the dbl layer tumbler, works very well..... wish the control valve on it was a little better instead of basically just on and off mode... but luckily my air pump has a pressure control on it. Smile
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  InfamousRedlineZ 2012-03-30, 20:13

Sorry to hear about the lost but I hope those three survive the whole way through
InfamousRedlineZ
InfamousRedlineZ

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-03-30, 20:35

InfamousRedlineZ wrote:Sorry to hear about the lost but I hope those three survive the whole way through

you got it backwards.... three didnt get fertilized.... 6 are good Smile see in the picture, they have lil tails and two black eyes...
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  InfamousRedlineZ 2012-03-30, 20:36

Oh lol okay I though you said that 3 more didn't make it
InfamousRedlineZ
InfamousRedlineZ

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2012-03-31, 00:11

yup thats one of the males alright. and one of the females that held for me a couple of times. glad theyre still going strong.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Tr182md 2012-03-31, 17:47

I got double layer egg tumbler from Kens fish. Came with dial for control. Can also use drip irrigation valve.

Should be easy to replace valve if it is inline.

That is a good looking fish! I now have 13 Kiriza from gobluecichlid so I am an official tropheus keeper now!

Tr182md
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-03-31, 19:33

Tr182md wrote:

That is a good looking fish! I now have 13 Kiriza from gobluecichlid so I am an official tropheus keeper now!

thanks, demasoni is definetly my favorite mbuna..... and welcome to the tropheus addiction! goblue's kirizi had some outstanding yellow in them, they looked almost breeding age too. should have fun with them! Smile
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-04-06, 18:16

Another Picture of Babies Getting bigger!!!!!

sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  InfamousRedlineZ 2012-04-06, 19:02

Their looking good! Getting big quick
InfamousRedlineZ
InfamousRedlineZ

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-04-06, 23:23

yep, if you look close, you see there turning blue and getting stripes... Smile
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-04-07, 00:02

ah...cute babies Exclamation
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-04-07, 06:12

I was reading online and found that there is a frontosa breeder that actually starts feeding his fry before there egg sac is gone.... as early as mine are now! anyone else do this? He claims his fry reach almost .75 inch by the time there egg sac is gone because of it.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down