Giant Pleco Named Greedy

5 posters

Go down

Giant Pleco Named Greedy Empty Giant Pleco Named Greedy

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-03-02, 22:40

Welp, I got this pleco for free. I'm still unsure if it's a male or female, but I want to guess it's a female, so from here on out, I will address her as a female.

Her name is Greedy, at least that's what her previous owner named her. I believe she's a Sailfin pleco. Her previous owner has had her for 15 years, and was living in a 55 gallon tank for most of her life, then upgraded to a 75 gallon aquarium, and now she's living in my 100 gallon aquarium Smile

She's quite a beauty. Definitely has some bulk in her. She must've been fed plenty of good foods!

I also received another Sailfin Pleco from Consecration, and his name is Hoover. Now, when I received him, I thought HE was huge, until I saw Greedy. Oh my goodness. I'm still awestruck with her sheer size! In the 2nd picture, you can see Hoover (left) and Greedy (right), for size comparison.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Now, this isn't the biggest pleco I've ever seen. I've seen some pretty huge ones in the wild, when I used to live in the Philippines. They're rampant in some of the rivers in the Philippines. But Greedy has got to be the biggest pleco I've ever seen in captivity. Not to mention, one under my care. Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Giant Pleco Named Greedy Empty Re: Giant Pleco Named Greedy

Post  Betty 2014-03-02, 22:54

Wow, she's a beauty.  Shocked 
It's nice that you are able to give her a good, new and bigger home.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-03-02, 22:57

Thanks Betty! I was concerned at first, that she would be too aggressive towards Hoover, but I've been monitoring them both closely, and it seems like they are coexisting together pretty well. I will continue to keep tabs on them for a while.

The previous owner also had three GIANT sized Raphael Catfish, that she gave to me for free as well, and they're such a hoot! I've never seen them so big before! The're like 8 inches long! She said that she has had them for about 10 years. I can't believe they can grow to that size. My goodness. Largest one I've ever seen before I saw those Striped Raphael Cats was like 5 inches.

And of course, because they're so skittish during the day, there was no way I could take a good picture of them. Hahaha!
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-03-02, 23:03

The fish on the left is a sailfin. Does Greedy have the same fin structure?

No more algae issues for you, with names like Hoover & Greedy. I bet Greedy got that name for other reasons, and that reason is probably whys he's so......husky.....
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-03-02, 23:15

fishNAbowl: See, that's what I've been asking myself... the previous owner says that it's a horned pleco, but when I posted pictures online (not here), people kept insisting that it was a Sailfin Pleco, so, instead of arguing back and forth, I just agreed with them. Saves me the effort. LOL

Well, I can only imagine that Greedy was named because she would scarf down so much food, and wouldn't share it with the Raphael Cats... all 4 of them were in a 75 gallon tank, and the previous owner mentioned that Greedy would act really aggressive and attack the three Raphael catfish, but I haven't seen that behavior after I've placed them in the 100 gallon tank.

That might just be, because it's a new tank, so they're all still trying to adjust, and once they've adjusted, the aggression will come back. Which is why I'm watching them like a hawk. Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2014-03-02, 23:31

Dang.... I thought my 13" sailfin was big.... Turns out I still have a toddler on my hands!!! Wow great score!
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2014-03-02, 23:55

Poke if your ever in Puyallup there is a restraunt on 160th and Meridian called House Of Ki. Check out their Koi/Pleco tank in the lobby. They have 3-4 Plecos probably 36"+ Freaking monsters!
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-03-03, 00:04

Wow!!
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2014-03-03, 00:08

House of Kee sorry for the mis spelling just looked it up!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

But your girl Greedy is definatley a sight to behold. I think the ones at the restraunt have been their for a few decades and probably professionally taken care of. To see a pleco from a hobbyist that big here in the US is no doubt impressive. Are you going to make that 100gal a pleco tank? I would be interested to see if Hoover and Greedy breed lol
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down