Question for people with wood in their tanks??????????????????

+4
fishNAbowl
Will I am
Madness
anthony
8 posters

Go down

Question for people with wood in their tanks?????????????????? Empty Question for people with wood in their tanks??????????????????

Post  anthony 2014-07-26, 21:00

Well I have been keeping fish on and off since I was 14 years old. Only in the past couple of years have I attempted to keep Mopani wood in my tanks. Long story short whenever I have so much as tried to keep even a small piece of wood in my tanks my PH has plummeted down into the 6's . I just got a tank up an running and I wanted to put a large piece of wood in my tank because there will be several plecos in my tank. I live in seattle and my water comes out pretty much at 7.0. To my own fault I have always kept my tanks more over stocked than under stocked but have always kept up on water changes . But the wood has always seemed to be the breaking point for my PH . Is my wood not old enough? I always soak until it stops making the water brown. Does anyone else have this problem? I have never got any old wood I have always started with "new" wood
anthony
anthony
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Question for people with wood in their tanks?????????????????? Empty Re: Question for people with wood in their tanks??????????????????

Post  Madness 2014-07-26, 21:06

Wood will naturally soften the water, regardless of age. It doesnt help that your water is already on the soft side. My tap is 7.8 so my wood tanks are around 7.0 and my pleco tank is 6.4

I guess you could add baking soda at water changes to try and keep it neutral.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Question for people with wood in their tanks?????????????????? Empty Re: Question for people with wood in their tanks??????????????????

Post  Will I am 2014-07-26, 21:31

You could also mix some crushed coral in with your substrate or put a bag of it in your filter or tank (behind something). The crushed coral should buff your PH.
Will I am
Will I am

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-07-26, 22:52

Will I am wrote:You could also mix some crushed coral in with your substrate or put a bag of it in your filter or tank (behind something). The crushed coral should buff your PH.

I use crushed coral as well to buffer PH. It's in all my filters systems in nylon stocking made bags. It takes a while to dial it in. But little by little I increased the quantity until the desired PH is achieved.

Last edited by fishNAbowl on 2014-07-27, 00:07; edited 1 time in total
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2014-07-26, 22:59

Actually, I add the wood to help lower the pH in my tanks. I almost always cry when they stop leaching those yummy tanins.
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  anthony 2014-07-27, 11:25

Well I feel better now knowing that others have the same issue. I wish my water wasn't right on the 7.0 status . Well with my water being so much on the soft side I think I will just try a very small piece of wood in the corner and avoid the big centerpiece if the plecos want to chew it they will find it. Thanks guys.
anthony
anthony
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2014-07-27, 13:38

A small bag of crushed coral coral in your filter can do wonders for keeping that ph up.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-07-27, 13:45

I have a lot of wood in one of my tanks. Some decent sizes of mopani wood and manzanita wood and malaysian. Our out of the tap water is about 8-8.2. I tested my ph this morning in the tank and its probably 7.9-8.0. We do 50% water changes weekly so I don't think the wood has a chance to have much of impact on the waters PH.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  star_rider 2014-07-28, 13:02

pH in my tanks is always in the 6's.. out of tap it runs 6.6-6.8.

I add wood , leaf litter alder cones.

I keep mostly SA discus, angels, rams, apistos, and a slew of BN's. all of which come from waters with low pH.

I'm more curious as to you kH, gH as well as the pH with wood in the tanks.

star_rider
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2014-07-28, 15:34

your discus, rams and apistos must love you for sure star_rider. even with wood and all that jazz i never could get my ph lower then 6.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down