Any computer people?I have a quick question

4 posters

Go down

Any computer people?I have a quick question Empty Any computer people?I have a quick question

Post  aquaman95 2012-04-10, 15:40

I play games like fable TLC and when i play my laptop gets hot.If i took the battery out and left it plugged in on the cooling dock would it help it to stay cool?i could plug it into the charger to keep power to it but my fear is ill fry my laptop charger from using that as a main power source.I am basically brain dead about computers all i know is how to play games and what my comp is running for soft/hardware.it gets so hot it will make my leg burn
aquaman95
aquaman95
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Any computer people?I have a quick question Empty Re: Any computer people?I have a quick question

Post  Kianna 2012-04-10, 16:45

Mine gets really hot too when I watch netflix in HD. I got a stand with cooling fans and it helps tremendously. Heres the one I got.

Click Here
Kianna
Kianna
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Any computer people?I have a quick question Empty Re: Any computer people?I have a quick question

Post  aquaman95 2012-04-10, 17:33

i got the cooling stand too but even usiing it it still heats up all the way to my leg
aquaman95
aquaman95
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2012-04-10, 17:37

You won't fry your laptop's power adapter by actively using the laptop while it's plugged in. This is what it's designed for.

Using the mains instead of the battery for power would likely keep the battery cooler, and possibly some of the surrounding area. You could blow a fan on the empty battery bay if that sounds appealing to you Smile

How old is the laptop? You could try blowing the fan out with compressed air - it could be pretty clogged.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2012-04-10, 17:39

Laptops are designed to run pretty hot, especially when running processor and video-card intensive tasks. You could sit it on top of some insulation board so it doesn't heat up your legs Very Happy

Last edited by pbmax on 2012-04-10, 17:41; edited 1 time in total
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aquaman95 2012-04-10, 17:39

the laptop is less than 3 weeks old and i that was my idea just wanted to make shure it was safe
aquaman95
aquaman95
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2012-04-10, 17:41

The laptop would have to heat up to far beyond what you could tolerate on your legs before it would damage itself.

What processor and videocard do you have in it?
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-04-10, 18:00

aquaman95 wrote:it gets so hot it will make my leg burn

Just think of what it does to your junk! You didnt want kids anyway..... jocolor
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aquaman95 2012-04-10, 18:12

i am running a little 2.1 ghz pentium b950 dual core processor and a unidentifiable graphics card i figured nvidia but not on this model and if i look it up nothing comes up even for specs of the laptop
aquaman95
aquaman95
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2012-04-10, 18:22

That's a 35W TDP processor, so not crazy powerful, but design spec is up to 85C - hot enough make your junk unhappy. Smile

Seriously, if it bugs you get some foam board and put it between you and the laptop.

If you're swimming in surplus cash you could swap the HDD for a SSD. That should reduce machine temps a bit, in addition to boosting battery life and speed.

My old macbook pro is a true lap heater. My new one can get pretty hot too if I switch it to discrete gfx. If I use integrated gfx then it's much cooler. Granted, I don't game on it...
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down