Having trouble finding wood in your LFS?

+3
DMD123
Nick_87
Anthraxx
7 posters

Go down

Having trouble finding wood in your LFS? Empty Having trouble finding wood in your LFS?

Post  Anthraxx 2014-07-19, 15:44

as title suggests ive found a nice loop hole in finding nice wood pieces for your aquariums. it seems like most pet stores have very little in their aquarium wood stockpile. over the years i noticed that the reptile sections typically have much more selection available. youve got be selective as a lot of it isnt safe for an aquarium but the mopani wood works just fine. ive gotten some really nice logs this way and just figured id share. GL to you all Smile and thnx for reading
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Having trouble finding wood in your LFS? Empty Re: Having trouble finding wood in your LFS?

Post  Nick_87 2014-07-19, 15:46

Thanks I'll have to check it out. I have been looking for some nice wood for a while now.
Nick_87
Nick_87

Back to top Go down

Having trouble finding wood in your LFS? Empty Re: Having trouble finding wood in your LFS?

Post  DMD123 2014-07-19, 17:33

Good suggestion Anthraxx, I got my last piece of Mopani from the ZooMed reptile stuff. Sometimes we need to think outside the 'fish section'. Good reminder!  Spot On 
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Drd62 2014-07-19, 18:31

Thanks for the heads up Anthraxx. If you can find any wood in your LFS it's fairly expensive! $8.50 -$10/lb
Drd62
Drd62
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2014-07-19, 18:51

Go to reptile expos they usually have nice wood for cheap.
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2014-07-19, 21:03

most of the pieces at like a petco or petsmart are just 6.99 for small 11.99 for med and 19.99 for large. ive even lucked out and found one that had no tag, only tag laying nearby was for a medium so igot a huge ole log for 11.99 Smile. i really dont like buying it by the lb, as u said its WAY too expensive. reptile expos tho that might be a great source. glad it was of help to some of you tho Smile
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-07-20, 03:24

Another thing to keep in mind, if you do look in the reptile or even bird section for driftwood such as mopani, make sure that they rent bolted onto some kind of stand, or platform. As the metal bolts, screws or whatever, isn't good in your tank. Just keep an eye out for those metal pieces. Hehehe
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2014-07-20, 11:07

At the aquarium cartel swap, sometimes a few guys bring in small to big pieces of dirt woods to the swap.

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter 2014-07-20, 15:26

I found some Grapevine at Bridges in the reptile section a while ago. It was on sale and I figured 'why not?' At first it was really gross and slimey for a long time, but now the stuff looks great!
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down