Aquaponics - such an exciting idea!

+2
fishNAbowl
cichlid-gal
6 posters

Go down

Aquaponics - such an exciting idea! Empty Aquaponics - such an exciting idea!

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-10-30, 09:31

Having seen the interesting aquaponics unit for sale on the forum, I went out looking for more information. John is totally hyped about this idea. I found a great site and a video with lots of wonderful information regarding this type of project. Food for thought (no pun intended) for next project(s). I love the idea of self-sustaining.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Aquaponics - such an exciting idea! Empty Re: Aquaponics - such an exciting idea!

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-10-30, 10:20

I too am very interested in this & plan to start with a small build in my garage. I was thinking about starting a discussion on Airstone as well, if you already haven't Smile

fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Aquaponics - such an exciting idea! Empty Re: Aquaponics - such an exciting idea!

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-10-30, 10:48

Good idea Chad...go ahead Smile
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2013-10-30, 12:06

I've been thinking of doing this for a long time. I contacted that for sale thread because I want to hang an aquaponic unit over a 55 gallon tank, and then have a huge jungle of pathos draping over the outside of the tank Very Happy
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-10-30, 15:09

MRTom wrote:I've been thinking of doing this for a long time. I contacted that for sale thread because I want to hang an aquaponic unit over a 55 gallon tank, and then have a huge jungle of pathos draping over the outside of the tank Very Happy
That's a cool idea too!!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2013-10-30, 15:28

that is very interesting! I started using my dirty fish water on my flowers after I cleaned the tank. My clematis and dahlias loved it!
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CMooreCichlids 2013-10-30, 15:50

This summer I made a 12' x 6' veggie box. During each WC for my 125g, I'd drain 30g into a trash can. Then use it to give my zucchini, peas, and tomatoes their daily water.

Within 1 month the veggie box was overrun with vegetables. The zucchini were all over a foot long and as big around as a soda can.

Behold The Power Of Fish Poop!
CMooreCichlids
CMooreCichlids
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-10-31, 13:23

I don't have any room for doing this type of thing, but I definitely would be interested. Ever since I saw this video, I thought it would be a cool idea (although probably on a much smaller scale):

He might be annoying, but the place he's looking at is awesome. When you get up to the level of induction lighting and light movers, that's some serious money involved.

I have a small (250 watt) metal halide/high pressure sodium ballast/light that I would be willing to loan if anyone is actually doing this type of thing. It hasn't worked well for immersed growth due to excessive light and therefore algae issues, but it works good for terrestrial plants like tomatoes.
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down