censeoflife
CrashSmAshley
sidekicking
sandnuka
8 posters

Go down

Overheating!!!! Empty Overheating!!!!

Post  sandnuka 2010-05-18, 16:57

Ok, not really a disaster, but inthe summer its hot on the second floor... unfortunetly thats where my main tank is.... I have taken out the heater, but still the water temp rises above 80.... any suggestions???? I have tried pointing the head of the output on the filter up to make a lil splash.... didnt help.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Overheating!!!! Empty Re: Overheating!!!!

Post  sidekicking 2010-05-18, 17:27

I had the same problem last summer my temp almost reach 90D
so i unplugged the heater...I went to to the store and bought a bag of ice lol...I did this for a couple of days cause I didnt know what else to do
sidekicking
sidekicking
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CrashSmAshley 2010-05-18, 17:36

Make sure windows are shut and keep sunlight out of the room. If you can move portable fans in there then I would.
CrashSmAshley
CrashSmAshley
Contributing Member

https://www.facebook.com/people/Ashley-Kate-Schneider/781865286

Back to top Go down

Post  censeoflife 2010-05-18, 18:09

Use an hang filter with ice in it or a cold pack instead of media, start it at it lowest flow rate (my whispers have this option) and watch temp close. Probably would be good to test it on an empty tank. This coupled with good circulation outta keep anything cool.
censeoflife
censeoflife
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kingstature 2010-05-18, 21:21

Keep heaters off and open windows at night and close down during day.. Your fish will do fine in the 3-5 degree change thru the night.. Also an outbound fan pointed out the window during the day when evaporation is happening will keep the room cooler which means less evaporation and in turn cooler tanks,, Keep close Eye on temps of tanks next too open windows.. Fish in the wild deal with cooling night waters and I have never had a problem doing this during summer hours....Good luck king
Kingstature
Kingstature
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2010-05-19, 00:09

A reefer friend of mine lost around 400 dollars worth of coral during last summers heat wave. He decided that it was cheaper to buy a chiller then have to take another hit like that. dont know how handy you are but a diy chiller built from an old "beer fridge", and a temp control system is a bit cheaper. google diy aqaurium chiller, there are lots of ways to do it, and its the only sure way to keep your temp down in the summer. Another way is to get an air conditioner.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kingstature 2010-05-19, 00:13

Never had much of a problem with it guess I been lucky, i suppose saltwater fish are way more sensitive to temp change..
Kingstature
Kingstature
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2010-05-19, 00:17

My reef never suffered when it was running during the summer. But that was a few years ago and it wasent so hot that year.

Back to top Go down

Overheating!!!! Empty overheating

Post  aaronfeeney 2010-05-19, 00:38

AC the whole house
aaronfeeney
aaronfeeney

Back to top Go down

Post  sidekicking 2010-05-19, 00:47

yup AC sounds like the best idea haha
sidekicking
sidekicking
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  alexmuw 2010-05-21, 00:53

Got this from a guy on MonsterFishKeepers.

Use 2 liter soda bottles and fill them with water (about 3/4 full). Freeze them (I keep a couple frozen in reserve) and when needed, place into your tank.

I've used this technique a couple times last summer. Seemed to work good.

Good luck!!! cheers cheers cheers

alexmuw

Back to top Go down

Post  sidekicking 2010-05-21, 01:46

hey thats a great idea....is way better than buying ice every other day
sidekicking
sidekicking
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Overheating!!!! Empty Ice Idea...

Post  sandnuka 2010-05-21, 03:36

Ive always been scared to do ice.... that fast of a temp change can really stress/kill your fish.... you guys gotta be carefull with that.
My windows are closed, lol, and yes I have fans in that room running. (I live there too, I dont want too cook myself)
I wish i had AC. So, looks like I am doing everything I can besides buying a chiller.... I am not doing that. lol. my fish dont get AC, before me!
Since this looks like a problem with everyone, and no one mentioned the thing that Im doing that actually is helpin a little bit, I will share it..... I do more frequent water changes, that really helps.... and like I said before I made my filters kinda make a splash in the water, this brings oxygen down there and kinda cools things....
Thanks though for all the other tips guys!
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2010-05-25, 01:01

if your a diy person you could try running your filter tubing through a container with ice, or a programable wine chiller, small fridge ect. That way nothing changes your water peramiters, some home brewers use a similar setup when making beer. the longer your tubing is in contact with the cold area the lower you will be able to reduce your temp in theory. i had a ked i used to run though coiled copper tubing in sub-zero freezer to have it super cold right out the tap. just a thought.
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum