Aquaponics!

3 posters

Go down

Aquaponics! Empty Aquaponics!

Post  Addicted2CAs 2013-06-15, 11:06

For anyone interested, here are a few pics of a quick aquaponics setup I threw together as I am becoming very impatient waiting for the larger system to be complete, as far as layout goes. Figured this was a fitting forum section for it.

Very simple setup: 150w 4300k Metal halide hung over a foam insulation float to reflect light back to the underside of the leaves. This is the only tank without an auto drip so I figured it would be perfect to test the filtration effect of aquaponics on a normal tropical tank.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Addicted2CAs
Addicted2CAs

Back to top Go down

Aquaponics! Empty Re: Aquaponics!

Post  binbin9 2013-06-16, 03:41

sweet thats one hell of a light for one plant.
binbin9
binbin9

Back to top Go down

Post  Addicted2CAs 2013-06-16, 15:02

Thanks! It is a lot of light, especially being HID. Seems to work great for any single plant I grow either aqua or hydroponics.  It's actually a twolittlefishies double-ended coral light.
Addicted2CAs
Addicted2CAs

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-06-18, 01:52

That's a good idea with the foam. What plant is that? Leaf lettuce? 
I hope you don't mind, I may try something like this in my sump. It's really cool!

Back to top Go down

Post  Addicted2CAs 2013-06-18, 10:16

Do it man! That is the best filter you can get hands down, and potentially very cheap. Thanks chad. That's a Kale start. Figured that would be the best to start as they don't need a ton of nutrients. The only thing I will change on that setup is to use a net pot instead of just putting it through a hole!
Addicted2CAs
Addicted2CAs

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-06-18, 13:02

I've cleared out the last compartment in my sump a couple weeks ago moving the DYI CO2 reactor  system out. The tank is in a family room, never put doors on the stand. I think it would be awesome to have a plant growing in the sump. Shoot, I think I could grow stuff like tomatoes in it too...lol! But more thinking of a house plant that vines. Ill update with pictures when I get to the project Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Addicted2CAs 2013-06-18, 15:39

Very nice cool idea with the vine plant. I'm thinking maybe pothos as they LOVE nitrogen. I was pondering tomatoes as well and the only difference with them may be the need to supplement Trace elements as those are fast, large plants. I'm thinking about getting dry ferts again from when I had a planted setup. For sure keep us updated on what you do!
Addicted2CAs
Addicted2CAs

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2013-06-18, 18:35

tomatoes might be difficult, take a look at a plant that loves nitrates. personally i just use my tank water to water my garden, not use my tank to grow my garden Razz. GL in your choices, really liking the idea. ive thought about trying something like this myself for awhile now.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Addicted2CAs 2013-06-19, 10:13

You may be right on the tomatoes, they could easily be a challenge. Any leafy green vegetable generally takes to aquaponics quite well as I have seen with that kale, it is blowing up! I'm mostly doing things like this to create a Symbiotic system that takes no more than 30mins of upkeep per week.  I also do this for the YMCA so I like to believe it's in my blood!
Addicted2CAs
Addicted2CAs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down