Snails? Parasite? I have no idea! Anyone else??

+4
MorganEA
fishNAbowl
Aquarium Co-Op
ShortyKiloGyrl
8 posters

Go down

Snails? Parasite? I have no idea! Anyone else??  Empty Snails? Parasite? I have no idea! Anyone else??

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-01-29, 21:42

So after switching over from a rock bottom tank to organic miracle grow with brand new sand I have had these little things come up and around in the tank. I thought maybe they were snails, but now I don't think so since my first clutch of eggs have hatched in another tank. And this tank has not had any snails in it other than the a decorative shell. The shell came from another tank that has never had a clutch of eggs in it either. So I am very confused. Maybe someone will recognize what they are. I took the best pictures I could but they are very tiny objects and hard to see even with a naked eye. Anyone have any ideas or if I should treat the tank?? It houses one puffer fish currently.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Snails? Parasite? I have no idea! Anyone else??  Empty Re: Snails? Parasite? I have no idea! Anyone else??

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-01-29, 21:50

My guess is limpets.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Snails? Parasite? I have no idea! Anyone else??  Empty Re: Snails? Parasite? I have no idea! Anyone else??

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-01-29, 21:51

The pictures are kind of blurry to see any detail for me but they are the "shape" of a baby snail. A way you could check it to press on one with your finger. If it kind of crunches, then yup-snails....
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2014-01-29, 22:01

I had baby snails hatch recently in my nano tank, I have no idea where they came from my best guess is that there were eggs laid on a plant that I put in there. they look a lot like what's in your pictures.
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-01-29, 22:02

I think they are limpets! I googled it and found this image and this is almost identical. Are they bad?? And where did they come from??

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-01-29, 22:03

Yeup, about 85% sure they are limpets
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Pneumostome 2014-01-29, 22:06

I don't think they are any better or worse than other types of snails. The can be hard to get rid of though since their flat shape makes them hard to pick off the glass. Of all snails, limpets seem to always come from nowhere! I've had one serious out break when I was over feeding my axolotl tank. Once I started to slow down on my feeding regime, they seemed to clear up quickly. Good luck!
Pneumostome
Pneumostome
Fry

http://www.natureinvinicble.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-01-29, 22:07

Hey I was happy for the clutch of mystery snails to hatch in another tank so I had food for my puffer. Maybe he will be able to eat these and give population control! lol I'm okay with them there if they don't over run the tank!
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2014-01-29, 22:59

Pneumostome wrote: SNIP The can be hard to get rid of though since their flat shape makes them hard to pick off the glass.  

I tried picking snails off the glance for a week in a 10gal. Then I got wise and dropped the clown loaches in for sleepover. 48hrs later I couldnt find any snails and the loaches were'nt begging for food. cheers 
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2014-01-30, 12:58

Definitely limpets. I have them in all of my tanks!  cheers 

They're not bad, just another bit of biodiversity in your tank. Other snails will easily out-compete them as they're not terribly speedy. I imagine mine rode in on plants at one point.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Peylix 2014-01-31, 07:12

When ever I have a snail outbreak in my 30g. I drop my dwarf puffer into the tank for a day sometimes less. Snail pop is exterminated before you can blink.
Peylix
Peylix
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down