very sunk in stomach on my new fish but hes eating fine. parasite?

5 posters

Go down

very sunk in stomach on my new fish but hes eating fine. parasite?  Empty very sunk in stomach on my new fish but hes eating fine. parasite?

Post  fishyladdy 2013-09-04, 22:29

well i bought a new fish about 5 days ago and when i got him home i realized his tummy was sunken in really bad i thought maybe he was just being under feed so ive kept him in a separate tank and been feeding him a lot of blood worms and doing lots of water changes he eats but doesnt look like he is getting any better :/ any ideas on what it could be? any thoughts would be great. thanks everyone for reading
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

very sunk in stomach on my new fish but hes eating fine. parasite?  Empty Re: very sunk in stomach on my new fish but hes eating fine. parasite?

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-04, 23:13

What type of fish is it? There's always medicines...... But those can be a last resort
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

very sunk in stomach on my new fish but hes eating fine. parasite?  Empty Re: very sunk in stomach on my new fish but hes eating fine. parasite?

Post  Madness 2013-09-04, 23:27

Take a teaspoon of Epson salt mix it with a tablespoon of water to make a liquidy paste. Soak the food in it until soft, then feed. The Epson salts will clean it out, this usually works if the fish is still eating.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-09-04, 23:36

hes a red terror very pretty but just doesnt look healthy now. just ragular epson salt? like the ones u use in the bath?
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-09-04, 23:39

Just regular, no lavender or anything like that.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-09-04, 23:39

Yep Epson salts/bath salts. And red terrors are notorious for internal parasites do to stress and poor water conditions.

How big is it? Any pics? Where did you get him?
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-09-04, 23:40

DMD123 wrote:Just regular, no lavender or anything like that.
Yes good call D, for got she is a she. LOL They tend to have the fufu stuff. LOL
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-04, 23:41

Madness, you can't own every red terror in Washington..... But I'd also love to see it
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-09-04, 23:44

I had a fish that stopped eating and was sick, I didnt want to lose it so this is what I did. First the fish was large at 9" but the principle worked. I went to the pharmacy at Walgreen's and asked for a baby medicine syringe. I attached a length of silicone air line. I then crushed up pellets, mixed in frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp and liquid vitamin, Epsom salt & parasite meds and let it soak in. I filled the syringe, I caught the fish, held it in a wet towel and pumped the mixture down its throat. Yes it was stressful but It worked. The fish recovered in no time and I still have Pork Chop the Pearsei.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-09-04, 23:45

madness wrote:
DMD123 wrote:Just regular, no lavender or anything like that.
Yes good call D, for got she is a she. LOL They tend to have the fufu stuff. LOL
Yep thats what my wife has a Lavender oil impregnated Epsom salt.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-09-04, 23:48

DMD123 wrote:I had a fish that stopped eating and was sick, I didnt want to lose it so this is what I did. First the fish was large at 9" but the principle worked. I went to the pharmacy at Walgreen's and asked for a baby medicine syringe. I attached a length of silicone air line. I then crushed up pellets, mixed in frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp and liquid vitamin, Epsom salt & parasite meds and let it soak in. I filled the syringe, I caught the fish, held it in a wet towel and pumped the mixture down its throat. Yes it was stressful but It worked. The fish recovered in no time and I still have Pork Chop the Pearsei.
This is why you need to treat now while it is eating cause once he stops, this is what you have to do.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-09-04, 23:50

It was a hard core thing to do. Pork Chop took a long time to warm back up to me. It would hide when I approached the tank, while it would come up to my wife. The fish thankfully has no long term memory and totally forgave me.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-09-04, 23:52

i will take pics right now guys. and i will go buy some epson salt tomorrow.
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-09-04, 23:59

The Epsom is a good natural method but PraziPro is the medication used in many cases for internal parasites. The hard part is the med works better in the fish than in the water. Sometimes you can buy med treated food that mask the taste and the fish will get their meds that way or try and make your own 'slurpy' like I did.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-09-05, 00:19

so im having issues with my camera but i will try and get some pics tomorrow
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2013-09-05, 11:20

what kind of fish is it? i know my africans can get a little sunken belly action going but its nothing to be worried about. ive noticed it can take my previously holding females a week or two if not more to put a little heft back on. just my two cents GL to ya
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-09-05, 12:48

Anthraxx wrote:what kind of fish is it?
fishyladdy wrote:hes a red terror very pretty but just doesnt look healthy now.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-05, 21:48

How is your fish? I know from the few festae that I have owned that they don't seem to bounce back very well from illnesses until they get a solid four inches than nothing can stop them..... I hoping yours is doing well. I do really enjoy festae
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down