Fish not eating

5 posters

Go down

Fish not eating Empty Fish not eating

Post  Madness 2010-10-25, 18:21

I read the thread on epson salts, not sure if convinced after reading it. So here is my question.

Fish are not eating. I have tried garlic in the water and on food. I know the epson salts are a laxative and may help with stomach issues. OK, I believe that. How much /gallon. I usually do reg salt adds at 1 tablespoon to 5-10 gal. Also, any other ideas to get them to eat. I am also going to treat them for stomach parasites. But would like to try epson salts if that may work.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Fish not eating Empty Re: Fish not eating

Post  sandnuka 2010-10-25, 20:13

what kind of fish, how long have they not been eating, and what have you tried feeding? Are they new fish?

1tbspn per 10gallon of epsom salt should be fine.... if the water is already super salty you dont want to over due it.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2010-10-25, 20:30

They are Umbees and a pair of dempseys. Got the Umbees from rattle, and they weren't eating for him, and now not eating for me. Just added my dempseys to the tank 2 days ago, and they wont eat. So I would have to say a week or so for the Umbees, maybe 2. I am starting to notice that their stomachs are starting to shrink. I already salt my tanks, just want to add epson salts for the possible stomach issues.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  rattle1972 2010-10-25, 21:17

the umbees were eating fine for me untill i moved a bunch of fish out, then they get real skitish. alot of fish i have had have done that after i took fish away. the one i kept was like that for a couple days and is now eating fine. but he is also in a smaller tank now with more fish.

one other thing as far as salt goes, i add 1 cup per 100 gal of water conditioner salt. at the same time i moved the ornatums out of that tank, i ran out of salt. went about a week or two without salt, and started up again around the time you picked them up. not sure if that has a factor in it.. but thats my two cents..

let me know what happens.
rattle1972
rattle1972

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2010-10-25, 21:26

Ya the 1cup/ 100gal is what I do for the reg salt. Is it the same for epson salt?

Maybe thats it, they need to get comfortable. I will watch them closely for a few days to see if they eat when I am not looking. I fed them just a bit ago and my Dempseys ate but they did not. But there is still a little food floating. I am going to watch and see if they go up and grab it when Im not watching.

Im sure its because they are a bit spooked out.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  rattle1972 2010-10-25, 21:32

honestly i dont know about the epson salts. never used it.

since my last post, i have been reading about parasites. and that might be it. so iam going to lean on the safe side and pick up some stuff for that. been noticing other fish in other tanks acting kinda of weird also. if that is the case, i am sorry bro. let me know how i can make it up to you.
rattle1972
rattle1972

Back to top Go down

Post  Addictedtofish 2010-10-25, 21:32

What is the temp of your tank, try raising the temp to 82 to 84, most fish can handle not eating for 2 weeks to a month. Why do you use salt in your tanks anyways? Ive been trying epsom salt with my tropheus bloat and didnt see that it did any good, Ive done metro for a week now and havent lost a fish in 3 days. I also raised the temp to 84 which will help speed up metabolism which you want for a fish that isnt eating. Also try doing water changes every couple of days for a week, that also seems to stimilate eating also.
Addictedtofish
Addictedtofish
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rattle1972 2010-10-25, 21:43

i keep all my tank between 80 - 84. i do water changes 3 times a week, because i feed alot. my tank at the shop with my festae is more like 5 times a week. (1 big one, and 4 very small ones.)

i have read that some salt in the tanks can prevent some parasites. witch would make sense to me that i started having these issues after a coulpe weeks of no salt. but all around, my fish just seem to do better when i add salt.
rattle1972
rattle1972

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2010-10-25, 22:30

Addictedtofish wrote:Why do you use salt in your tanks anyways?

Let me ask you this. Why do we need salt in our systems? The same reason we need it, so do your fish. Epson salt has minerals in it that your reg aquarium salt does not. I add 1TBLS /gal of water replaced on every water change. I am just learning the importance of epson salt. Just wasnt sure of the dosage.

Add salt and increase your temp will help with just about every external parasite, and some internal. How do we get rid of a bug? We eat chicken noodle soup, and sweat it out. Salt & heat.

Let me know what you find out Rattle.

Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-10-26, 00:23

Since they are in a new enviroment, it may be they are just takin a long time gettin used to it.... I remember when I moved my midas from its home to a new one and it took him well over 2 weeks to start eating.

By reg salt, I am assuming you mean aquarium salt??? Like you, I add salt like crazy in all my tanks, I just started using african cichlid salt to my tropheus tank, it keeps water parameters PERFECT!!! I never add table salt to any of my tanks.... although I heard its good way to get rid of snails. Smile I also use epsom salt in my african tanks, seemed to keep up hardness plus its good for fishes digestive systems.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2010-10-26, 00:29

YA, NO table salt. I mean aquarium salt. Table salt is not good.

I just began a bath for them all for internal parasites. Its not going to hurt them, but will at least help them if they have any. And if they don't, no big deal.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  dkpate 2010-10-26, 03:15

Thought I would share this:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
dkpate
dkpate
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2010-10-26, 14:41

Great article. But from my 20+ years of experience, I have never lost a fish do to any of the symptoms stated in the article. I rarely have external parasite issues. And I don't over salt my aquariums.

To me, (and this is just my opinion) it sounds like the individual companies that make their $$$ from us purchasing all of their medicines. Is wanting to stay in business.

It sounds just like the doctors at the clinics. Take this antibiotic, take this drug, take that drug. Our bodies are not designed to continuously be taking antibiotics/drugs. It will kill us. And it will kill your fish.

I treat me and my family the natural way, good food, vitamins, and herbs. (the good kind Smile )
And I will continue to treat my fish the same way. Again this is my opinion, and you guys do what you want.

I have some of the most beautiful and healthy fish, just come take a look. The only reason I questioned epson salt is because it is a natural laxative, and I just purchased some fish that looked like they had digestion issues.

So, if you want to medicate your fish every time they look different, go ahead. But there is a proven connection between antibiotics and heart disease, Alzheimers, stroke, in humans. I would have to say the same goes for our scaly friends. Over medicate and they will die from something.............................

Didn't mean to get so deep there.. Just a little touchy this mornin after reading the latest BS our wonderful President is trying to do.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down