Put tank in greenhouse, RCS all hiding?

3 posters

Go down

Put tank in greenhouse, RCS all hiding? Empty Put tank in greenhouse, RCS all hiding?

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-08-30, 17:39

Hey, it's me with another (possibly stupid) question

I put my 10gallon tank into the greenhouse I am lucky enough to have access to, and since then, I have noticed that all my my RCS have been hiding most of the time I am out there. This never happened when I had a flourescent light on the tank, but I'm wondering, could the daylight just be too much for these guys to feel comfortable with?

I have plenty of places for them to hide, like some african bog log with lots of crevices, lots of java moss, and a few other plants. Usually I see at least some of them out on the java moss grazing or picking around the gravel, but lately I have only seen a couple during the day.

I will try putting in some crushed up"crab cuisine" next time I have time to watch for them, and see if any of them come out to eat.
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Put tank in greenhouse, RCS all hiding? Empty Re: Put tank in greenhouse, RCS all hiding?

Post  Madness 2013-08-30, 17:46

It could be that it is much brighter than they are use to, and not at all a stupid question. No question is a stupid question, (wait yes some questions are stupid). LOL Very Happy
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Put tank in greenhouse, RCS all hiding? Empty Re: Put tank in greenhouse, RCS all hiding?

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-08-30, 19:22

Alright... I just worry that they are not getting enough to eat, but is this ever an issue with this species? There is certainly plenty in the tank for them TO eat, I just don't see them eating it the last few days. Maybe they have been out at night
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-08-30, 21:59

Generally you have to worry about over-feeding shrimp more than under-feeding them, especially with an established tank. How old is the tank? How hot does the tank get out in the greenhouse? What was the temperature before you put it out there?
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-08-30, 22:30

The tank is pretty old (2+ years) but I basically tore it down recently and re-did it- the filter should still have a good colony, and ammonia/nitrite were both 0 when I checked earlier today, so I think it's cycled by now.

It might get a little hotter out there, especially on days like today... maybe I will think about putting a shade over it some days, especially since I have black sand/gravel. I didn't keep it as hot as it sometimes gets, but at night the temp should be about the same as what I had it when it was in the house

I just did a good gravel vac and water change, and all the shrimp are still there, and seem to be doing good. I think I am just not giving them enough credit, I'm sure they have been just fine but maybe a little shy. Especially since i keep adding guppies, and now have decent sized fry, maybe they are feeling a little less bold with all the changes.

I still haven't really seen any berried females, but I have seen yellow on some of their backs. Does that mean that those ones are female?
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-08-30, 22:55

You're right - they're probably fine. Just about the only thing I've seen that will consistently kill neocaridina are PH crashes - so keep an eye on that. Over-stocking (feeding) a tank can gobble up the meagre KH we have in our water around here pretty quickly.

Yellow just behind the head is eggs inside the female's ovary - also known as a saddle. This is an indication they could be carrying eggs soon. Smile
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down