From fishNAbowl's (and others) tank to mine, 30 gallon planted tank conversion.

Go down

From fishNAbowl's (and others) tank to mine, 30 gallon planted tank conversion.

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl on 2014-06-03, 16:05

I bought some plants from fishNAbowl and converted over my 30 gallon bowfront to a planted tank and removed the old breaking plastic plants and added a piece of driftwood temporarily. Anyhow, he requested pictures for updates and here they are for all to see. I have not added any fertilizers or changed my bulb or anything. Guess they like my tank. :DThe plant on the right has started to emerge from the surface by about an inch right now. I wonder if I should let it do it's thing or trim this down and create a new plant?

This is when I first received the plants and finished the tank.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

One month later:

Lots of new shoots on this one (ID please):

Last edited by ShortyKiloGyrl on 2014-08-13, 11:37; edited 1 time in total
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Re: From fishNAbowl's (and others) tank to mine, 30 gallon planted tank conversion.

Post  fishNAbowl on 2014-06-03, 16:23

The plant you are enquiring about is bacopa caroliniana I originally got it from hyp3rcrav3. Each side shoot can be it's own plant. Also, you can cut off the top and replant. This is how I multiplied this plant. The way to keep it completely clean is to snip it off 80% down, pull the rest of the plant up and plant the top and trim off the side shoots. It's not a natural look but it's a way to keep the plant clean looking.
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Re: From fishNAbowl's (and others) tank to mine, 30 gallon planted tank conversion.

Post  fishNAbowl on 2014-06-03, 16:24

Oh yeah, the plants look great :)I like the Bacoba!
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl on 2014-06-03, 17:21

fishNAbowl wrote:The plant you are enquiring about is  bacopa caroliniana I   originally got it from hyp3rcrav3. Each side shoot can be it's own plant. Also, you can cut off the top and replant. This is how I multiplied this plant. The way to keep it completely clean is to snip it off 80% down, pull the rest of the plant up and plant the top and trim off the side shoots. It's not a natural look but it's a way to keep the plant clean looking.

Now that you say bacopa Carolina I just went 'duh'! Smile
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl on 2014-06-03, 18:02

Does anyone know what the small plant is in front of the bacopa Carolina? It came as a freebie with another plant order and was pretty much dead. I figured it wouldn't make it but this post made me realize how much it has actually grown as well.
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth on 2014-06-03, 18:37

Lovely! Those plants will fill in pretty well, for sure! Smile I love Bacopa Caroliniana! Stuff smells amazing when you pinch the leaves... some people say it smells like lemon/lime... which is why it's also commonly known as Lemon Bacopa/Lime Bacopa... I don't think it smells anything like lemons or limes, but it does have a nice sweet/fresh scent to it!

As for the smaller plant in front of the bacopa... I'm not sure what it is. It kinda looks like some kind of crypt... I could be totally wrong though. Could you take a closer picture of it?

I'm on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]<--- Click! Watch! Add! Subscribe! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

http://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl on 2014-06-03, 18:39

PokeSephiroth wrote:Lovely! Those plants will fill in pretty well, for sure! :)I love Bacopa Caroliniana! Stuff smells amazing when you pinch the leaves... some people say it smells like lemon/lime... which is why it's also commonly known as Lemon Bacopa/Lime Bacopa... I don't think it smells anything like lemons or limes, but it does have a nice sweet/fresh scent to it!

As for the smaller plant in front of the bacopa... I'm not sure what it is. It kinda looks like some kind of crypt... I could be totally wrong though. Could you take a closer picture of it?

Can do when I get home!
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl on 2014-06-03, 18:56

Not a direct plant shot but this was already on my phone and might as help ID if not, I can take another pic

ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth on 2014-06-03, 19:00

Hmmmm...weird, the leaves look like it's some kinda of crypt... but the stem looks more like some kind of stem plant (like a hygro of some sort... Maybe it's a hybrid!? lol.. kidding) . . . =P

I'm gonna stick with my crypt answer for now. Hahaha

I'm on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]<--- Click! Watch! Add! Subscribe! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl on 2014-06-03, 19:01

It starts with a little root wad and then stems up to the leaves. It only had 3-4 stems when I planted it. Definitely more than that now.
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl on 2014-06-03, 20:11

PokeSephiroth wrote:Hmmmm...weird, the leaves look like it's some kinda of crypt... but the stem looks more like some kind of stem plant (like a hygro of some sort... Maybe it's a hybrid!? lol.. kidding) . . . =P

I'm gonna stick with my crypt answer for now. Hahaha

Plus One with Poke on this one.  scratch 
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl on 2014-06-03, 20:25

Here is a direct plant picture

ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth on 2014-06-03, 21:03

Definitely looks like a crypt... which one though... I'm leaning towards Crypt. Wendtii Green.

PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal on 2014-07-04, 18:38

OK...another thread I've never seen...geez...not sure how I miss these things...oh well.... Great looking tank and growth on your plants SK. Congrats Smile
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl on 2014-07-04, 21:10

Thanks cichlid-gal! I'm getting over run with the bacopa now and moving trimmings to my 75 gallon which are growing equally as well! Smile
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  star_rider on 2014-07-08, 15:24

yup, If I had a guess it would be cryptocoryne, wendtii green..the heavy' stem' is probably one of the main runners(part of the root system) some of the cryptocoryne propagate along this heavy root/runner.
I have several older wendtii bronze which have that heavy root.

star_rider
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl on 2014-08-13, 11:30

So I added and re-scaped the tank last night. Added some more plants, not all from fishNAbowl but didn't really want to start a new thread about the same tank. Here is the update:

ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-08-13, 11:34

ShortyKiloGyrl wrote:So I added and re-scaped the tank last night. Added some more plants, not all from fishNAbowl but didn't really want to start a new thread about the same tank.

You can change the title. Nice tank btw.

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl on 2014-08-13, 11:38

SiRWesDragon wrote:
ShortyKiloGyrl wrote:So I added and re-scaped the tank last night. Added some more plants, not all from fishNAbowl but didn't really want to start a new thread about the same tank.

You can change the title. Nice tank btw.

changed, and thanks Smile
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl on 2014-08-13, 13:23

I am impressed on how neat the larger rock substrate looks. Reminds me more of a river type setting. The new wood looks nice. Will even look better once the plants fill out.
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl on 2014-08-13, 14:19

fishNAbowl wrote:I am impressed on how neat the larger rock substrate looks. Reminds me more of a river type setting. The new wood looks nice. Will even look better once the plants fill out.

I like you thought it was new, means I did something right haha Smile This piece has been cycling in the this tank for a while and I had planned on putting it in the nano prior to going with the ADA aquascape plan. So it is staying in here now.

As for the gravel, this is one of the tanks I didn't want to change substrate in for plants. 95% of the plants so far have done great in this substrate. I had planned last night when redoing the scape to add a smaller substrate of the same color of rock under this larger layer to help hold some of the smaller substrate appreciative plants in. However, I didn't have anywhere near enough. I thought I had alot more than I did.
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl on 2014-08-13, 14:24

The bacopa carolinia has apparently taken a liking to the substrate though. I found this when I pulled it up last night.

ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl on 2014-08-13, 21:26

Ha!

My 30 gallon has a large gravel over a finer plant substrate. This is quite common. I am still impressed your plants did well in the larger rock.
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl on 2014-08-13, 22:37

fishNAbowl wrote:Ha!

My 30 gallon has a large gravel over a finer plant substrate. This is quite common. I am still impressed your plants did well in the larger  rock.

I think most of what I have aren't really sandy substrate kind. But I honestly just put in there what I like. It's even the stock light, no co2 and no ferts added.
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MattArmstrong on 2014-09-03, 08:47

I think I might have this same tank. Is this the Marineland "Half Moon" 30, with a clear plastic lid and smallish LED light that sits on it?

I have one of these, have not planted it yet, and am wondering how a deep tank like this looks planted. I've already bought an upgraded light but would be happy to know good growth can come from the stock light.

MattArmstrong
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl on 2014-09-03, 10:11

This is a ~30 gallon bowfront. I however, have grown these plants with the stock light and without any added fertilizers. They have all done well. I don't have any plans to change the light on it any. Those half moon tanks are pretty nice looking. I don't have inert substrate either. I just added plants that do fine with the type of substrate I have. Smile
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl on 2014-09-05, 11:52

So I added some Telanthera Cardinalis' Alternanthera reineckii

Here is an update:

ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MattArmstrong on 2014-09-05, 22:13

ShortyKiloGyrl wrote:So I added some Telanthera Cardinalis' Alternanthera reineckii

Nice looking plant!

MattArmstrong
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl on 2014-09-06, 01:35

Thanks! I got a good package of it from aqua bid!
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum