About to buy some Cichlids, what happened to their stomach?

5 posters

Go down

About to buy some Cichlids, what happened to their stomach? Empty About to buy some Cichlids, what happened to their stomach?

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-08-14, 19:33

Hey everyone, my tank is almost cycled, so I went around just browsing LFS for some Saulosi's and other Cichlids. A common thing I see in some of these fish is that their stomach area looks rather weird. It's in the picture below and a red arrow is pointed at the area. What's causing this dip in that area of their body? Are they not fed enough or is there some kind of health hazard (the fish just under the circled one has the same thing)? Thanks

Also, when I do go fish shopping, what are some good signs that the fish is very healthy? Full color, regular body shape, and very active?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

About to buy some Cichlids, what happened to their stomach? Empty Re: About to buy some Cichlids, what happened to their stomach?

Post  ChristopherSingsAlot 2013-08-14, 20:25

I'e heard that it can be a sign of internal parasites but don't quote me because I'm not an expert on the matter.

ChristopherSingsAlot
Fry

Back to top Go down

About to buy some Cichlids, what happened to their stomach? Empty Re: About to buy some Cichlids, what happened to their stomach?

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-08-14, 22:05

It could be too little food, it could be a parasite, it could be stress....it could be all three of those things. If you buy, no matter from your LFS, a vendor, a friend, or someone on the forum....look for healthy fish - clean lines, slim bodies not overfed or overfed and no sunken bellies, no white speckles on them, not hiding on the bottom of the tanks or floating at the top under the filters or heaters.

And always, no matter who you buy from, quarantine your incoming fish. It gives them time to adjust to your water and your parameters as well as gives you a chance to see if any illness will show up. Good luck.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  anthony 2013-08-14, 22:52

cichlid-gal is correct either some parasites are eating all the fishes food or the fish is too shy to compete for food. If several fish in the tank have the concave stomach something is wrong. One good feeding would get the fishes stomach back to flat but when it turns concave again the next day it's more than likely parasites. IF THE STOMACH LOOKS INSIDE OUT DON'T PULL YOUR WALLET OUT!!!!
anthony
anthony
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-08-14, 23:23

For a fish to appear that skinny, it would have to have gone without food for a while. When I see that, to me it screams internal parasites. If you really want some, see if the employee will drop some food in. If the parasites have developed far enough to start eating away at the intestines of the fish, they wont eat. So if they are really infected, they wont touch the food that is dropped in there, or maybe a couple will because they are not as far along as the others. Also watch them for a bit, if they have stringy white poo, then parasites. So stay away.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2013-08-14, 23:33

Thanks everyone, I think I'll steer away from these pet stores Shocked ...
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-08-14, 23:49

madness wrote:For a fish to appear that skinny, it would have to have gone without food for a while.  When I see that, to me it screams internal parasites.  If you really want some, see if the employee will drop some food in.  If the parasites have developed far enough to start eating away at the intestines of the fish, they wont eat.  So if they are really infected, they wont touch the food that is dropped in there, or maybe a couple will because they are not as far along as the others.  Also watch them for a bit, if they have stringy white poo, then parasites. So stay away.  
Nice explanation. I appreciate this info too guys!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down