Confusing Cichlid behavior

+2
lloyd378
Madness
6 posters

Go down

Confusing Cichlid behavior  Empty Confusing Cichlid behavior

Post  Madness 2012-08-21, 00:37

scratch OK, here is the situation. In my 300 gal, I have a crazy psycho male Hoga and his very mellow female. The other fish in the tank dont get out of hand, argue or even go to the bathroom, without the Hoga getting after them or giving his blessing for them to carry on with their duty. The pair have tried to spawn several times with no success. The eggs have always fungused over. With that said, The 2 of them have been moving around the tank, investigating all of the pots and looking like they want to spawn. Tubes are down and they look ready.

Two other occupants in the tank are a 8" Honduran Jag and a 6.5" Honduran Jag. I have been watching these 2 because they have been chummy with each other the last few days. So now its time for confusion #1. To me the larger of the 2 Jags looked female while the smaller one looked male. (and in my experience, I have never seen or had 2 fish spawn where the female has been considerably larger than the male. In fact, the female usually pays no attention to, or she flat out beats the crap out of the smaller male) With that said. This morning the 2 Jags were in one of the pots cleaning it, displaying spawning tendencies. Both tubes are down, and the females (the larger Jag) tubes were all the way down as if she was in the process of laying eggs. So I grabbed the flash light and investigated the pot. Nope, no eggs.

So, this evening I get home from running errands, and I did my usual visit to all my kids. I get to the 300 and the crazy psycho Hoga and his mate have moved into the pot that the Jags recently purchased. And the Jags are trying to get back into their newly purchased home. Wait whats that? Confusion #2!! The entire bottom of the Jags new home,( now being occupied by the crazy psycho Hoga and his mate) is full of tiny little eggs. Mom is aggressively keeping the 2 Jags out, while the male comes and goes has he wishes.

So now for the uber question. Do the eggs in the pot belong to the Hoga's, or the Jags?

So like I said earlier, the male Hoga has been shooting blanks. So if the eggs hatch, does that mean my male Hoga is finally fertile? Or does it mean that they were Jag eggs, and the female Hoga took over and took care of them?

Hence the confusion at this time. Suspect
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Confusing Cichlid behavior  Empty Re: Confusing Cichlid behavior

Post  lloyd378 2012-08-21, 01:27

my bet is that the hogas kicked them out when you left and then layed eggs in there, but i am basing this on a situation i had a year ago when i had two breeding pairs of texas cichlids in with a smaller dovii.... I came home from work about a year ago, and I found the dovii had kicked out a pair of texas and was guarding a pot that had some brand new eggs in it. When they hatched I figured that she had just adopted about 60 texas fry. when they reached two-three inches, i found (to my surprise) that they were a dovii / texas cross a dovii stream-lined body with the opaque blueish spots.

so back to my guess,
i think the fish that guards the eggs are the fish that layed them. Either way, if they are fertilized and they hatch, you should have some awesome fish. I look forward to hearing what they are.

lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Addicted2CAs 2012-08-21, 10:56

Man that is a strange one. No experience with the issue, but I have read on more than one occasion of cichlids parenting eggs/fry that weren't theirs. Then again they are cichlids, anything is possible! I'm going to say jag eggs! Curious to find out whats going on aswell!
Addicted2CAs
Addicted2CAs

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2012-08-21, 18:52

Well, today all my questions were answered. My Jag pair bought the house next store, and started a family. So both spawns are side by side. Still kinda odd that the female spawned with a male almost half her size.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-08-21, 19:54

Congrats on the double spawn. Hope the Hoga's made it work this time.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2012-08-21, 20:58

Im going to be real curious, if the Hoga eggs hatch. Suspect Hoga x Hoga or Hoga x Jag Suspect
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlidlovers98513 2012-08-22, 01:40

Congrats on the double spawn!! Very Happy
cichlidlovers98513
cichlidlovers98513
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-08-22, 12:35

Hoga/Jags Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..........
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2012-08-22, 12:56

Ya, like my son says, "that would be one UGLY A** fish. Otherwise none as UGAF." haha

But unfortunately, if they hatch i will have to wait and see if they are true, or if they are UGAF.

Last edited by madness on 2012-08-23, 11:05; edited 1 time in total
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Drd62 2012-08-23, 04:27

madness wrote:Well, today all my questions were answered. My Jag pair bought the house next store, and started a family. So both spawns are side by side. Still kinda odd that the female spawned with a male almost half her size.

IMO that is extremely odd to have the female larger then the male and then lay eggs. In my dealings the males have always been larger then the females. Well, I guess you can chalk this one up to experience. Another chapter of Cichlid behavior. Shocked
Drd62
Drd62
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Drd62 2012-08-23, 04:29

madness wrote:Im going to be real curious, if the Hoga eggs hatch. Suspect Hoga x Hoga or Hoga x Jag Suspect

No Hybrids Mad vomit
Drd62
Drd62
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2012-08-23, 12:11

Ya, no hybrids. Eggs are all looking good so far.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2012-08-24, 02:58

Well here we are, day 3 and it looks like both piles of eggs are going to hatch. Both sets look as though they have little black dots in them.

So i must wonder, "are the hoga fry true"? Maybe he finally got it right. Or did something else get it right? I guess only time will tell. Suspect
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2012-08-27, 01:07

the saga continues. The Jags either ate their fry or had them taken. But the mom Hoga is being a great mom to her fry. But I still believe that the female Hoga is mothering a bunch of Jag fry. I am going to pull the fry in 2 days. I will update this as the fry grows. Suspect
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2012-08-27, 03:16

I'd love to see a visual of the current situation, if you have the ability! I'm hoping that they make it!
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down