New live stock list for 125gal American cichlid tank. What you american cichlid pros think?

4 posters

Go down

New live stock list for 125gal American cichlid tank.  What you american cichlid pros think?  Empty New live stock list for 125gal American cichlid tank. What you american cichlid pros think?

Post  Guest 2014-04-28, 23:38

New live stock list for 125gal American cichlid tank.  What you american cichlid pros think?
2 Electric blue acara, 2 festivums, 2 keyholes, 2 rainbow cichlids, 2 geophagus surinamensis, 2 clown loaches, 4 angels, and 1 pleco. Maybe 8 adult congo tetras, doable? Please be honest. Thanks guys.  Spot On 

Back to top Go down

New live stock list for 125gal American cichlid tank.  What you american cichlid pros think?  Empty Re: New live stock list for 125gal American cichlid tank. What you american cichlid pros think?

Post  dwarfpike 2014-04-28, 23:48

I'd worry about the keyholes in that company, they are about the wussiest new world cichlids ime, I've seen them get bullied by dwarf acaras 1/5th their size.

The geo's might squabble a bit if you get them younger, the usually are found in groups which helps to spread out the attention ... but that's a big tank for juvy's. Part of it will depend on which species you actually get as true surinamensis aren't available in the US hobby, but several different species are still sold under the name. Some are more aggressive than others.

Occasionally a blue acara gets a burr up it's bum, so keep an eye on them but should normally work.

The festivums will probably pal around with the angels, which is a very neat thing to watch.

Not a big loach guy, but I'd imagine you want to keep them in a larger group.

Congos are big enough you shouldn't have to worry about the blue acaras sneaking a snack.
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

New live stock list for 125gal American cichlid tank.  What you american cichlid pros think?  Empty Re: New live stock list for 125gal American cichlid tank. What you american cichlid pros think?

Post  DMD123 2014-04-28, 23:51

The loach would like a few more to their group for sure, Clowns do grow slow but they get HUGE. Might want to consider a different type that stays smaller.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2014-04-29, 00:03

Yeah clown loaches i am told prefer 5+ and get pretty big. But in a 125 shouldnt be too bad for now. On the plus side the loaches will keep your tank snail free.
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  zach_discus 2014-04-29, 01:16

I would drop the Keyholes and the Rainbows cichlids and go with a larger group of medium size Geo's. The larger group of one species will be more engaging to veiw than 2-3 prs that either spend there time hiding due to not being in a secure group or chasing due to not having a group to establish a pecking order. Not a loach fan and you have a great SA theme going. Get a school of 7-8 Corys going instead, they are a blast to watch in larger groups. Plus with the finer sand you need for the Geo's they will do great also.

Here is my suggested list:
2 Acara's
5 Geo's
2 Festivums
4 Angels
7-8 Corys
1-2 Plecos
zach_discus
zach_discus
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2014-04-29, 01:46

Thanks guys for the feedback.  The clown loaches are doing fine for now with them. But you guys are right being better in group 5 or more on those guys but no more room in there. Will probably trade them or sell them.
   I do already have a few cories in my planted tanks.  Could put them in 125gal and remove clown loaches. 
   How about the congos, yeah or nay? Dwarfpike says maybe. How about you guys?

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2014-04-29, 02:12

I wouldn't just because I like to theme the dithers to match the cichlids, but that's a personal preference. They should definitely be large enough to not worry about becoming lunch. I kept seprae tetras with my blue acaras, and they are smaller than congos by a fair amount.
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  zach_discus 2014-04-29, 02:40

I'm with D/pike, go with HY511s or bleeding hearts. They both get nice sized and should not have a problem with the boisterous tank mates. Larger silver hatchets on the surface would complete the look.
zach_discus
zach_discus
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2014-04-29, 10:17

dwarfpike wrote:I wouldn't just because I like to theme the dithers to match the cichlids, but that's a personal preference. They should definitely be large enough to not worry about becoming lunch. I kept seprae tetras with my blue acaras, and they are smaller than congos by a fair amount.

I know. But congo tetras are so cool looking and I already have 8 of them in other planted tanks. Had 1 adult from freddieb then got 3 more adults and 4 large juveniles from midway (alex aka jacko).

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2014-04-29, 10:23

The loaches are going to be removed once they reach full size or close to it. Larger the fish the larger "lfs credit" or "CL/fishbox price".
Unless I get a decent trade in credit from lfs to get more geophagus species.  Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2014-04-29, 14:16

I can understand wanting to use them, congos are quite impressive when large and not exactly inexpensive. They make quite a display under low lighting. Like I said, they are large enough that they should be safe.
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2014-04-29, 14:21

Thanks guys for input and great information.  Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down