Lighting, Too much a bad thing??

3 posters

Go down

Lighting, Too much a bad thing?? Empty Lighting, Too much a bad thing??

Post  sandnuka 2012-02-18, 01:42

Setting up a new tank.... on a couple planted tanks Ive kept before, i purchased some nice t5 lights from aquartraders.com .... They worked really really well.... And were gorgeous lights... Now i had two 54w on a 55gal and the plants loved it, got a little alge growth, but plecos were happy and taken care of.... My new tank will not be planted, will be a basic african tang lake tank.... its 100gallons would it be ok to have the same amount of light? should I go more or less??? I dont want an alge problem, dont want to have to get snails or pleco to control it either. thoughts and suggestions much appreciated!
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Lighting, Too much a bad thing?? Empty Re: Lighting, Too much a bad thing??

Post  sandnuka 2012-02-19, 01:27

i ended up doin 36"x3x39w.... figured roughly watt per gallon..... hope I dont get a problem!?? Thanks for all the feedback.. lol
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaosu 2012-02-19, 01:40

If you are not going to have plants the lighting is all up to you..if it will be bright or dark enough for you

if you start seeing algae growth just give the tank a 5-7 day back out to kill it all off or just simply keep your lights on less.
Kaosu
Kaosu
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Gryphon 2012-02-19, 02:36

Or get a couple snails. I had a nasty outbreak of the orange/brown algae back in August when I had the blinds up in my room to have a fan in the window. I bought 2 mystery snails (apple snails) from petsmart and a couple weeks later it was all gone. And they haven't bred yet either! (either that or my Striped Raphael Catfish has eaten all the lil ones lol)

Edit: Durr I can't read, totally missed the part where you said you didn't want to have to get snails or a pleco. Just ignore me Head Wall
Gryphon
Gryphon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down