Starting over is so frustrating

3 posters

Go down

Starting over is so frustrating  Empty Starting over is so frustrating

Post  DMD123 2011-11-30, 13:56

So with "the plague" over in the tank I have some new fish and am going through the frustration of me getting to know them and them getting to know me.

Its all the little things really that just add up.

These little guys are so small compared to what I was raising that I needed to get food especially size for them because it will be at least 6-8 months before they can tackle the food I would feed to the last batch of fish.

They scare easily. As I approach the tank they spook and dart around nervously, within a few seconds they realize I am going to feed them so they settle a little but I miss the easygoing nature of my last batch of fish coming up to the front whenever they saw me and not even flinching when I approached the tank.

They are tiny! Looking at my tank, it seems empty. Granted these guys all have the potential to get a foot or more but right now I see these scurrying little fish that remind me of mice or bugs taking off in all directions. Cant wait till they get some size on them.

Starting over is such a pain. Sorry for the rant, just needed to vent a little.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Starting over is so frustrating  Empty Re: Starting over is so frustrating

Post  Madness 2011-11-30, 14:43

Well I have an idea that will fix that. Do the fish see activity in front of them a lot? I mean, is the room they are in very busy with you or your wife? Is the only time they see you guys is when your feeding or walking through the room and on the occasional visit?

OK, here is what you need to do. While you are gone at work, put a TV near your tank, and turn it on. And/or make a statue or face out of something and place in front of the tank, looking at them. I know this sounds like BS, but it works. Trust me. Smile
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-11-30, 15:24

I have spent a lot of time in front of the tank lately. I have done a lot of tiny feedings to get them used to me. I dont think there will be an issues just the slow process of it all and that each fish acts so differently.

Of course the ones who were shy at first are the most outgoing now, the red devils and hoga. I already see issue with the aggression in the red devils where I think they will not work out in my master plan. More than flaring, chasing all over the tank of some of the other fish. The hoga seems perfect in how he acts with the others. Hands down becoming my favorite!

The bocourti, zonatus, synsilum are shy and show no real personality but all seem to get along with no aggression issues. These guys tend to lurk in the back and come out for food but are just starting to show what they will become.

I know they will all turn out fine in the grand scheme of things but its the waiting for them to grow and start filling out the tank that I am frustrated with.

Also there is also that little bit in the back of your mind that says this was not my first choice. These are the second string... well you know what I mean.

Just me being impatient. I think they have grow some already, just not fast enough!
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishman09 2011-11-30, 15:32

in being a couple months ahead of you with these little guys in gonna say be patient because all these fish are gonna be stunners in no time loaded with personality. as much as i love my big umbee and the jag pair theres just something way different about my community tank with all the smaller guys. the personalities different than in my other tanks cause theyre living together and im not the only one interacting with them so they tend to keep to themselves but are always at the fron of the tank hungry. Very Happy
fishman09
fishman09
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-11-30, 15:43

I know I need to be patient. When I had the big midas I bought all his tankmates at 6-7" in size so there was some instant gratification with that. Though I did miss out on a lot of their grow up time, I had a perfect group of fish to grow out together. There are always some fish that always seem to interact with you better than others like the amphilophus family. Yep I have high hopes on the hoga.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2011-11-30, 15:58

The Hoga is by far my favorite. Smile
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-11-30, 16:31

The hoga is already reminding me of the easygoing midas I lost. He get chased by the red devils but holds his own when it comes to food. No one can keep him away from the food. Funny that even the smaller red devil gives him a little chase.

I hope for at least an inch of growth per month out of these guys so maybe within 6 months I will have some fish I can "see" in the tank. As long as I get one decent sized bruiser out them, I will be happy.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down