LuminousAphid
master chi
Aquarium Co-Op
lloyd378
10 posters

Go down

Frustrating fish thread Empty Frustrating fish thread

Post  lloyd378 2014-01-21, 01:04

Thought I'd post a new topic where we could share our most frustrating fish.

I'll start. Currently I own a 9" male jag who frustrates me like crazy ( I think he does it on purpose as I sometimes glance at him and he seems to be smiling) First he used to beat up my female jag anytime they spawned and then he would eat all of the eggs. He has now gone to this hide and seek game with me anytime I am near his tank( he's beautiful and I wish I could see him more, but he enjoys sneaking out when my back is turned..... This is a new game he started a few weeks ago). Next, he eats the tails off of any tank mates I try with him. ( Dovii, fens, 5 spot jewels, Midas, Red Devils, green terrors, Jack Dempsey ,and they are always similar in size) but he runs away from my two inch flowerhorns and my 5 " sail fin Pleco. I currently have in his tank.

I know I could just give him away and move some of my other fish to his tank, but, dang it, I just like his markings too much. He looks like he has hatch marks all over his body.

Final thoughts of this fish is that jags might not mesh well with me. I think my personality is better suited for the amph family and the umbees

Feel free to share your frustrating fish. I love to hear the stories. (
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Frustrating fish thread Empty Re: Frustrating fish thread

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-01-21, 01:06

Maybe try a Mirror with him? Get him used to not being able to beat up the fish in the mirror?
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2014-01-21, 01:11

Hey, great idea! Maybe he won't be a frustration anymore.. Haha. I'll put a mirror up tomorrow.
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  master chi 2014-01-21, 01:50

I've used a mirror on an overaggressive Lab. It worked pretty well. I think it actually acts as a vent. He spent a good amount of energy fighting himself, then he would be too tuckered to force himself on the ladies. LOL
master chi
master chi
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2014-01-21, 03:57

sorry that i have no caps, my shift keys aren't working right now.

so far my most frustrating fish was a rubber lip pleco who just wouldn't eat anything but algae off the sides of the tank. everything i tried to feed him would go unnoticed by him, even if i stuck it to the glass where he normally fed or would hang out. i tried dry foods of all sorts, frozen foods, fresh and blanched vegetables, even food soaked in garlic... all the other fish ate it, but he didn't touch any of it.

looking back, i think he was probably sick and i didn't know enough to realize that, and that's what's made it even more frustrating. he eventually just starved to death, but thankfully he died in a visible place so i didn't have an ammonia time bomb under a log or something.

i also have a little golden colored long-fin leopard danio who is a bastard, he frustrates me because he chases any other fish around the tank constantly and without rest whenever the lights are on. now i have him in my little 4 gallon where he is on time-out until i get another tank started
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-01-21, 08:48

Mad .oO I don't want to talk about it...... She killed everyone....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I loved her...
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-01-21, 09:17

My most stunning colored fish.  An absolute standout in the tank.  Killed every other male in the tank with him.  Now has a "harem" of 8 females all to himself.  Runs for cover every time I have company so that the tank he resides in looks like a tank full of rocks.  Soooooo frustrating.  I'd love to show him off but it just doesn't happen.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-01-21, 09:28

I am pretty quick to get rid of fish that irritate me. I hate fish that you dont know exixst. If it hides all the time and wont even poke its head out at feeding then its a waste of tank space to me.

One of the most irritating fish Ive owned was an 8" Volta giraffe catfish. I had it in my 210g and it would burrow and move ALL the plants to one side of the tank and then hide under the pile it created. It was amazing that a little 8" fish could do that in a 6 foot tank but a total pain because this was the 'show' tank in the living room.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  anthony 2014-01-21, 12:21

Many years ago I had a salvini cichlid that was so mean he used to kill everything! Not to mention when he had no fish to kill he would take all the gravel and leave one side bare glass and the other side a big mountain of rocks. Growing tired of his behavior I decided to put in a red devil that was almost twice his size. In 1 hour the red devil was defeated and trying to hide himself behind the under gravel filter tube. It was the last straw for me I donated him and kept the red devil.
anthony
anthony
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter 2014-01-21, 16:41

The very first 'real' fish tank I ever had was given to me by a friend who had a family member pass. The 29g tank was only 3/4 full and at 90F and everything was green. It was stocked with an angelfish, a golden gourami, a single redhook silver dollar with no fins, and 2 kissing gouramis.
After awhile I upgraded to a 55g long, and learned how demonic kissing gouramis really are. They were like grumpy crack-addicted ninjas. I've never seen a fish dart so quickly across 4 ft of water, simply to harass another fish and then dart away!
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2014-01-21, 18:11

ive got a acei male who is just a little jerk!! no mater how many females i put in with him he will not breed with any of them!!!! but as soon as i add more then acei to the tank he is trying to breed with every other female in the damn tank BUT the acei females!!!!!!!!! uggghhhhhh!!! hes so pretty but man he makes me mad!
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down