I've got the darn itch again...

+2
Gryphon
Ratlova30
6 posters

Go down

I've got the darn itch again... Empty I've got the darn itch again...

Post  Ratlova30 2011-11-27, 18:09

I'm sure most people on here have experienced the perils of multiple tank syndrome. I had a fish room, largest room in the house with floor to ceiling aquariums(mostly 30-55gals) but when my mom got sick between the hospital and work I just couldn't do it anymore so I started dismantling everything. The only aquarium that was to remain running was my goldie tank. I didn't mind most of my goldies being sold off but I have a comet named "Dennis" that was pawned off on me years ago that I didn't want(salamander didn't want to eat him) and I've grown incredibly fond of him. So he and his pals got to stay. Well MTS has been creeping up on me since my moms recovery and I think I have 7 or maybe 8 tanks running? 9? I guess I'll have to look at my sig after this is posted. So anyways I've been trying to keep "the itch" in check and I gave up my fish room to help me control the obsession and I'm even starting to sell off my tanks that are sitting in the garage because someone(and I don't know who...) keeps bringing them back in the house and setting them back up. I know crazy.

Well the itch has struck once more and I swear I will have all my empty tanks sold before it can strike again. So I've got a 55gal and stand in the old fish room that I still haven't taken out to the garage yet and I want to fill it. This tank needs to be a rock and wood tank only, I've got a bunch a smaller planted tanks and they're enough work as is. I don't want anything small like tetras/livebarers and I don't want African cichlids(not hating, just not my thing). So this is where you come in as I have not dabbled much in larger cichlids/fish. Any fish suggested needs to be cheapish(Would prefer to purchase from member on here). I really want a ghost knife and a JD. I like severums too but they're a bit out of my price range considering I'd want more then a couple. Could a JD and a ghost knife live ok together? I really would like to have an oddball fish in the tank and I've heard JD's have an interactive personality(Really want an Oscar but too big for a 55 Crying or Very sad ) So please let me know your suggestions and it would be appreciated if we can stick to common names for now, don't wanna have to google all the scientific names. Thanks!
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

I've got the darn itch again... Empty Re: I've got the darn itch again...

Post  Ratlova30 2011-11-27, 18:12

oh geeze 9 tanks, the QT tank doesn't count though right? Haven't even added my 15gal metaframe that will be turned into a mutis tank.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Gryphon 2011-11-27, 18:44

You might have problems with a Jack Dempsey and a Black Ghost Knife, BGK are pretty mellow and laid, and JDs are the devil
Gryphon
Gryphon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-11-27, 19:38

Black ghost knife get too big for a 55g. In nature 20", in the tank probably much less but would reasonably expect 14".

I have had a JD before and did not find it that personable and some would argue also too big for a 55g. I really have not seen many JD get past 10" but I have seen a few in my lifetime so I would want at least an 18" wide tank if I did a JD. More of a breeder footprint.

If I were looking for a ton of personality that would fit in a standard 55g (and if you are not against hybrids), why not a short body flowerhorn? Of course all the nice looking ones cost big money. Another cheaper and more common group of fish are the convicts and firemouths which could live in a 55.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2011-11-27, 20:48

Not really a big fan of flowrhorns. I really just want one(maybe 2) large cichlid and some oddball fish that's unique. I must say it's hard letting go of the idea of a ghost knife, although I know I should. I've been looking on liveaquaria and one of my fish books and the only things that are jumping out at me get too large. I would love a slower moving fish.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-11-27, 22:05

Puffers are interesting fish that are said to be very intelligent and personable. They are not something you see in everyone's tanks.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2011-11-27, 22:22

Are there any cheap fresh water puffers? I don't want to deal with brackish.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Zerc 2011-11-28, 00:44

I have a bgk and a dempsey, no issues.

on the other hand, my dempsey is the biggest coward in my whole tank... and hes probably the 3rd biggest fish.
Zerc
Zerc
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-11-28, 01:30

Zerc wrote:I have a bgk and a dempsey, no issues.

on the other hand, my dempsey is the biggest coward in my whole tank... and hes probably the 3rd biggest fish.

Also 120g as opposed to a 55. Tank size can make a big difference.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aaronfeeney 2011-11-28, 01:56

Thats a lot of fish in that 120 also, overpopulation spreads aggression, so no single fish should be harrassed to death (in theory)
aaronfeeney
aaronfeeney

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2011-11-28, 14:25

After some research I've decided I don't want a puffer. Still looking for a large cichlid that doesn't mind being solo or no more then two. Was looking on youtube and the texas cichlids are gorgeous but I'm sure they'll be too large right?
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-11-28, 15:46

A 12" wide tank is not ideal for many of these fish. That being said there are some larger fish that you might get away with. Amphilophus red isletas get about 10"-11". You would get an awesome wet pet if you got a single male. madness has babies for sale for a reasonable price.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Zerc 2011-11-28, 16:33

A. Stalsbergi
Zerc
Zerc
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2011-11-28, 17:29

They are a possibility I guess, I really don't care for the large humps on their head. I think the flowerhorns coloring is pretty but the heads are just icky to me. The Amphilophus red isletas males aren't quite so icky looking. I've still got time to do research and look at other species. I wanna get my multis tank set up first so that will give me some time.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2011-11-28, 17:30

zerc-thats a really pretty fish. Are they available in pet shops?
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-11-28, 17:57

I would buy the fish from fishbox member rattle1972. He still has some left when last spoke with him here.

Here is contact info on him [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

There are some of his fish at A Place For Pets, but I would prefer to get them direct from the breeder.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2011-11-28, 19:22

I know but I'm not setup to get a fish at this moment and I still wanna do research on various species of fish before I dive in. Despite googling I couldn't find any good articles on the care of A. Stalsbergi, just links to forums or where they originated. Why do they call red isletas; red? They seem like a far cry from being red.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2011-11-28, 19:33

Ratlova30 wrote:I know but I'm not setup to get a fish at this moment and I still wanna do research on various species of fish before I dive in. Despite googling I couldn't find any good articles on the care of A. Stalsbergi, just links to forums or where they originated. Why do they call red isletas; red? They seem like a far cry from being red.

Try these websites: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] & [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And the Red Isletas head and chest turn red when they spawn. When not spawning they are a light color of pinkish red.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-11-28, 19:37

Most of these larger cichlids will require pretty much the same care. With good filtration and lots of water changes. The basic info on the stalsbergi can be found under "green terror cichlid". This is often mixed in with info about 'Aequidens' sp. "Goldsaum" .

Its fun to have a fish that is responsive to you and most of the big guys fit that category.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-11-28, 20:48

I like the layout of the cichlid-forum website but the info is pretty generic so I still end up using google to find more info.

Some fish I really like the looks of are Thorichthys pasionis and Archocentrus centrarchus. But they just are not a main feature fish to me, they would be the supporting cast.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2011-11-30, 16:37

So info I've been reading about large cichlids suggests small pebbles as the substrate, can you use sand or a sand gravel mix? I've got rid of all my gravel since the purchase of 100's of pounds of black sand except 10lbs of blue gravel and I have about 25lbs of black gravel. Is the sand a choking hazard for the big cichlids? I can mix the black gravel and sand 50/50. I'd just like to avoid the purchase of gravel(don't really care how poo sinks down into it anyways.)

Could someone tell me what the colorful fish is that swims in the back round of this video is
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
at 1:41

Both those fish you recommended dmd were very pretty, you may even convince me to go smaller with multiples fishies. What will be the deciding factor in the end though is availability and prices.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-11-30, 16:52

The white one is an Vieja Argentea the other appears to be maybe a Vieja Synspilum or Vieja Melanurus, to many these last two are considered the same fish. Much debate on that one.

Both of these are very big boys and would not recommend these for a 55.

I see no issue using a sand gravel mix. Some cichlids like the sand to sift for food in. Thorichthys pasionis have been available at A Place For Pets sometimes($6-7 each, I think). If money is an issue you could also do Firemouth which will get a beautiful bright red throat and belly with lots of sparkles. These are available at much cheaper prices.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2011-11-30, 19:17

I was just curious to know what they were. I think my plan will be to do some browsing and make a list of fish that are available and maybe you can help me make a game plan. If I end up going with smaller fish I would like a couple varieties(don't want species that can cross breed if together). As far as money goes I don't mind paying15-20 bucks for a fish I guess but I'd only want to pay that much for a fish that got on the larger side.

In the perfect world it would be cool to have one larger fish, maybe a couple smaller ones and an oddball like an eel or something. I realize my tank size restricts me. I've been resistant to have a tank full of small fishes because I have tanks full of smaller fish and I wanted a change. I either wanted a freak of nature or something big and meaty that would make people take notice. I had some BP hybrids before my mom got sick and they were a ball to have. So I don't know, it'll be easier to make up my mind once I figure out what is out there. I think in the end if I could find a species of fish that was quirky and interacted with me a bit that would be really cool.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-11-30, 19:27

Its funny that we use words like personable and interact when it comes to these fish when really they are just big beggars that are just saying "FEED ME" pig

Cichlids are a lot of fun, it really is surprising how much personality they have.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down