Chain store fish = itch

3 posters

Go down

Chain store fish = itch Empty Chain store fish = itch

Post  Paintguy 2010-07-28, 19:15

Man... I did the same thing as Ashley... got a couple basic fish from the chain stores and boom.. white dots. I have not dealt with itch in years. Currently cranking up my heat and added a bit of salt before I put any meds in.

Has anyone had a problem with the meds staining your plexi tank or white coral?
Paintguy
Paintguy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Chain store fish = itch Empty Re: Chain store fish = itch

Post  sandnuka 2010-07-28, 19:41

quick cure.... its the best med out there in my opinion for ick.... but stains all my stuff.... especially sealant, all sealant on my tanks are light blue. Smile

Try keepin the temp above 86, and not a bit of salt, but a bunch of aquarium salt.... If it gets worse within 24 hours, your gonna have to get some meds, and like I said, quick cure is the best.

(Just to let you know... its ICK {i - ck} not itch.) can understand how you thought that, seeing them look like they are itchy, and scratching against rocks.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintguy 2010-07-30, 12:54

Slowly took the heat up to 86, added a bunch of salt and turned the lights off. 3 days later the ich is almost gone.. barely noticeable on the tail of a clown loach. Glad I did not stain my tank with meds. Thanks for the info.
Paintguy
Paintguy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  alexmuw 2010-07-31, 13:22

For CHEAP aquarium salt, you can buy Morton Water Softener Salt @ Home Depot for $5 for a 40/lb bag. API Aquarium SAlt = 100% NaCl. Morton = 99.99% NaCl.

Vastly Cheaper!

For future reference, you need to Quarantine ANY fish you buy/obtain. Chain store isn't to blame; as even LFS can give you ich.

alexmuw

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintguy 2010-08-03, 15:46

Well... late on the 3rd day the clown loaches took a major turn for the worse as if all the ick in the tank searched them out like a magnet... teteras and everything else were fine. I quarantined the loaches in my 29 gal tank and resorted to meds. So far I have one left of the original 3 and he is not a happy camper.

I agree you can get ick at any fish store, but I think I will pay a bit more from now on and drive farther out to a place I trust.
Paintguy
Paintguy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down