5 gallon Fluval Spec V plant ideas??

3 posters

Go down

5 gallon Fluval Spec V plant ideas?? Empty 5 gallon Fluval Spec V plant ideas??

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-03-19, 12:28

So I scored a Fluval Spec V from the generosity of Chiisai's wife. I will be setting it up as a planted tank with a small piece of driftwood, organic miracle grow and black sand substrate. I plant on a small group of Scarlet Badis I will order from Wetspot and a few shrimp for cleaners.

When I looked up the suggested plants for Scarlet Badis Cryptocoryne, Microsorum, Anubias, and Taxiphyllum were the suggestions. My question is those who have dabled in planted non-co2 tanks more than I have, what specific plants do you suggest from those families?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This will be my second planted tank, the other being brackish waters. Any help would be appreciated. I plan to dose with Excel to assist the plants to supplement instead of co2.

Thanks in advanced!
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

5 gallon Fluval Spec V plant ideas?? Empty Re: 5 gallon Fluval Spec V plant ideas??

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-03-19, 13:59

I have a beautiful narrow leaf Java Fern doing awesome in my 9G nano. I also have a crypt wendtii in the tank too and some tall something in the back corner. One anubias...I think its an Anubias barteri v. Nana
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

5 gallon Fluval Spec V plant ideas?? Empty Re: 5 gallon Fluval Spec V plant ideas??

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-03-19, 14:30

I looked into the anubias barteri v. Nana and I liked it. I definitely want a variety. I'm thinking since there will be shrimp any form of cabomba (sp?) Is out of question. I had some in another tank and a small snail desroyed it from its weight :/
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-03-20, 12:20

Anyone else with nano planted tanks have any suggestions.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2014-03-20, 14:44

I've had a lot of luck with narrow leaf chain sword (echinodorus tennellus) and micro sword (Lilaeopsis brasiliensis)... my tanks are over stocked and way over filtered though, and it took some tweaking and adjusting to get these plants to take root and start shooting runners. Also had luck with valisneria in my 12 gallon long tank, same technique (heavy current was a factor that seemed to help)

I've also had luck with giant baby tears (micranthemum umbrosum), but this is a kind of high maintenance plant in that it will continually grow upwards, and when the top of the plant shades enough of the bottom, the bottom half dies off and the plant floats away so you have to replant it. At lot of people don't seem to like it much, but I love the thick bushyness of it.

I've tried cabomba, ambulia and hornwort, but without CO2 these all just die and make a leafy mess.

If you can afford it, fissidens moss is extremely hardy and forgiving, and with excel and some light it will grow at a very manageable pace. (That, and it is one of the most attractive plants out there!)

My nanos are currently stocked with star grass, blood star grass and java fern, which I'm trying to grow so I can harvest them into my larger tanks... Based on my progress so far, my guess is that I'll fail on the grasses and the java fern will do just fine.
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-03-20, 16:21

Awesome, thank you for some ideas. I need to get my ducks in a row soon.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down