75 gallon community tropical tank addition ideas??

4 posters

Go down

75 gallon community tropical tank addition ideas?? Empty 75 gallon community tropical tank addition ideas??

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-03-14, 18:07

Hello all, I'm toying around with the idea of adding some fish to my 75g community tank. Was wondering some fellow fishboxers ideas I can look into. I may just stay as is since its working well and everyone gets along other than nipping between angels when eggs are being laid.

Here are the current inhabitants:
5 - Angelfish
2 - Red/Blue Columbian Tetra
2 - Blackskirt Tetra
2 - Chocolate Bumblebee Catfish (never see these. Have to hunt for them to make sure they are still alive)
1 - Gold Tip Tetra
1 - Featherfin Catfish
1 - High Fin Spotted Pleco
1 - Zebra Obliquiden (has birth defect)
1 - Large Danio
1 - Small Danio
2 - Glolight Tetra

Vast majority of these fish are take ins to prevent killing or because they were no longer wanted. I haven't added any fish to the tank in well over a year.

Last edited by ShortyKiloGyrl on 2014-04-29, 13:12; edited 1 time in total
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

75 gallon community tropical tank addition ideas?? Empty Re: 75 gallon community tropical tank addition ideas??

Post  KaraWolf 2014-03-15, 02:33

A lot of those are schooling fish to begin with. Not a great source on weather your overstocked or not but personally I would try and up the number of fish per school. A lot of those don't do so well by themselves. Curious if any of them school with the other species?
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

75 gallon community tropical tank addition ideas?? Empty Re: 75 gallon community tropical tank addition ideas??

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-03-15, 12:29

Yes, they actually do school with other species. The black skirts and columbians are usually together as well as the gold tip/glolight and usually the smaller danio (zebra I think). Sometimes the smaller danio will go up and hang out with the larger one. The featherfin and high fin pleco are together alot too. They share the same house as well even though there are multiple spots lol. The chocolate catfish however live 'next door' to each other, about 6" away. I so very seldom see them other than a final moving when I look just right into their homes.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-04-29, 12:58

I'm reconsidering some additions to this tank. Does anyone have any advice? The filtration is two 30-60 AquaTech HOB's with 330gph each.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2014-04-29, 13:25

Well besides upping the numbers of the schooling fishes you have. Some school of congo tetras or school of tiger barbs,  love the colors of these fishes.

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-04-29, 13:46

I do want to add 6 snakeskin barbs. I'm thinking about getting rid of the zebra and giant danio. I wondered with the black skirt teta's if you can have 3 of those and 3 white skirt's. Or if their colors are enough for them not to school together as they should if I had 6 black skirts?
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2014-04-29, 14:24

[Color=indigo]they will school with the different color morphs Smile[/color ]
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-04-29, 15:57

Awesome, that adds color to the tank as well as upping their numbers to school!
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-04-29, 17:24

I would tie up those loose ends with individual schoolers for sure. Get some more to fill out the numbers. Very cool effect to have multiple types of schooling fish all intermixing and swimming together.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-04-29, 17:34

I don't want to over stock it either though. And I am considering making this a planted tank instead. I'm just not sure if my larger rock substrate would suffice the plants?
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-04-29, 20:13

ShortyKiloGyrl wrote:I do want to add 6 snakeskin barbs. I'm thinking about getting rid of the zebra and giant danio. I wondered with the black skirt teta's if you can have 3 of those and 3 white skirt's. Or if their colors are enough for them not to school together as they should if I had 6 black skirts?

An orphan tank, that's awesome. And as an orphanage perhaps you can pick and choose new homes for some of your orphans. Then perhaps start increasing schooling numbers for the fish you want to keep most. Just an idea.

Like maybe keep the angels, pick maybe 2 schooling fish and find good homes for some of the others?

fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down