Shrimp plants?

+2
fishNAbowl
Chiisai
6 posters

Go down

Shrimp plants? Empty Shrimp plants?

Post  Chiisai 2014-01-20, 14:17

Ok so I am starting a list of plants to put in my 40gal breeder I am going to use for a shrimp tank. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for plants their shirmp like? I read alot about them liking java moss or those moss balls. I have both in my 10gal low tech and TBH the shrimp dont touch either. So far the shirmp seem partial to the wisteria and sometimes lounging on the amazon swords. Thoughts?
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Shrimp plants? Empty Re: Shrimp plants?

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-01-20, 14:33

My shrimp love all the plants and woods I introduce. Matter of fact that's why I chose them, they are Amano Shrimp (Caridina multidentata).
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-01-20, 15:35

subwassertang and mosses do really wel with shrimp.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pneumostome 2014-02-09, 18:22

I have hard water and low light, so I have a lot of success with java ferns. I also have a collection of crypts and marimo moss balls too. In shrimpone tank I have some horn wort I bought at Aquarium Co-Op...it's a floating plant with fine leaves that is really easy to keep. Shrimp like being upside down on it!

I second Cory; I think any type of moss is wonderful for shrimp.

I also have some Echinodorus cordifolius growing out the top of my tank. The shrimp seems to like hanging on the stalks and it's easy to see them since the plant is bright green and they are bright orange.

Good luck with your tank!
Pneumostome
Pneumostome
Fry

http://www.natureinvinicble.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-02-09, 19:11

My Shrimpy tanks have Cabomba, Ambulia, Rotala Indica, Ludwigia Repens, and Anubias (not sure what kind of anubias)... I really see them mostly grazing on the bushier plants, such as Cabomba and Ambulia, not sure why they prefer those plants over broad leafed plants...

They go crazy for Marimo Moss Balls (I actually tore mine and made it into a marimo carpet Very Happy I always see shrimp on that thing, probably because it's so fine, and traps a bunch of little floating particles)
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2014-02-09, 19:23

My sponge filters are always a popular hangout.  Spot On  They don't grow much, but they don't need ferts either. Wink

The clado algae that grows on them (like the marimo ball stuff) is a winner with the shrimp too.  Suspect 
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-02-09, 19:33

pbmax wrote:
The clado algae that grows on them (like the marimo ball stuff) is a winner with the shrimp too.  Suspect 

I don't know why, but I always think that Cladophora Algae smells like Mushrooms... somewhat, stinky mushrooms (I'm not a huge fan of the scent of mushrooms, like, cooking mushrooms... But I love mushroom soup.) That's the best I can describe that stuff.
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down