shrimp, plants, guppies, cichlids, and snails..... my videos

+3
cichlid-gal
fishNAbowl
lloyd378
7 posters

Go down

shrimp, plants, guppies, cichlids, and snails..... my videos  Empty shrimp, plants, guppies, cichlids, and snails..... my videos

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-19, 23:38

I am sharing four videos I shot tonight.  Some videos are posted to brag, some to ask some questions, and some just for fun..... feel free to comment on anything and everything.  

First video is of my umbees and their new little babies:

The second video is of my newly acquired africans which will be split between two tanks (one at home, one at school) and my wc midas who doesn't play nice with anyone (he wasn't stoked about the new temporary tank mates)

The third video is a fun little clip of my gorillus blue and gorillus black umbee with two red devil grow outs

The fourth video is my newly planted/guppied/shrimped tank..... You can look as hard as you like, but you will be hard pressed to find the shrimp (I bought 50 shrimplets from tanya....awesome, and yesterday i bought four additional adult shrimp from a LFS)  What am I doing wrong that prevents me from viewing the shrimp?  are they still alive?  I know the guppies are doing well, the plants seem to be hanging in there, and the snails have already had eggs stuck all over the tank(my least favorite animal in the tank seems to flourish the most, go figure)  maybe it's time to add some apistos to the tank.

let me know what you think, enjoy, or dislike...... I would love to chat about all of these things!

Lloyd beerchug

Last edited by lloyd378 on 2013-09-20, 01:05; edited 1 time in total
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

shrimp, plants, guppies, cichlids, and snails..... my videos  Empty Re: shrimp, plants, guppies, cichlids, and snails..... my videos

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-20, 00:19

on a separate note: Cory, what types of apistos do you carry, and what is a good ratio to have in a 40g?
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

shrimp, plants, guppies, cichlids, and snails..... my videos  Empty Re: shrimp, plants, guppies, cichlids, and snails..... my videos

Post  Guest 2013-09-20, 01:11

I like. You're like me. Multi tanked. The only difference is the big fish tanks. And maybe next someday either big fish tank or saltwater tank. Need more experience and more money. Lol

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-20, 01:45

WOW, love the Umbee. Wasn't aware they get that beautiful.

I did notice the substrate was a normal aquarium gravel. The plants would love it if you stuck a root tab down into the substrate next to them Smile
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-20, 05:49

"I like. You're like me. Multi tanked. The only difference is the big fish tanks. And maybe next someday either big fish tank or saltwater tank. Need more experience and more money. Lol"

Yep, multi-tanked.....I have three more at the house and one in my classroom......

"WOW, love the Umbee. Wasn't aware they get that beautiful.

I did notice the substrate was a normal aquarium gravel. The plants would love it if you stuck a root tab down into the substrate next to them"

yes, umbee do get beautiful. after seeing addicted2cas and then fishman09's rio mags, i knew i wanted them too.  Also thanks for the tip on a root tab.... i will google it to find out more (unless you already have a good link)
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-09-20, 08:55

They must be "ghost" shrimp...
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-20, 09:03

Just a suggestion Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You don't have to completely do what the instructions tell you. I would just push 1 in with your finger beside each rooted plant .Just get close enough not to disturb the roots...
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-20, 16:41

I'll check it out. I'm assuming any fish store will sell it right?

Also, when are the big boy cichlid fans going to chime in and also the African cichlid lovers? I've got videos of everything on here
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-20, 16:43

cichlid-gal wrote:They must be "ghost" shrimp...

I actually saw two shrimp at the same time last night.... I was pumped. I may end up having to get some ghost shrimp as they are like 4or 5 for a dollar around here
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-09-20, 17:26

Everything looks awesome Lloyd. I have one complaint though. I am getting nervous that you are drinking the kool-aid. Why is the video of the so called, shrimp tank longer than the 3 Cichlid videos combined? Suspect Suspect 
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-09-20, 17:40

lloyd378 wrote: The fourth video is my newly planted/guppied/shrimped tank..... You can look as hard as you like, but you will be hard pressed to find the shrimp (I bought 50 shrimplets from tanya....awesome, and yesterday i bought four additional adult shrimp from a LFS)  What am I doing wrong that prevents me from viewing the shrimp?  are they still alive?
From my understanding, guppies will go after shrimp (correct me if I'm wrong about this), so it's possible your shrimp are dead, or just hiding.

@Madness:  Shrimp keepers, we're spreading, and we're comin' to get ya!  lol
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-20, 21:47

Madness wrote:Everything looks awesome Lloyd.  I have one complaint though.  I am getting nervous that you are drinking the kool-aid.  Why is the video of the so called, shrimp tank longer than the 3 Cichlid videos combined?  Suspect Suspect 
because i was trying to show how empty my tank appears even though i have added over 50 individual animals to the tank....... cichlids will NEVER be replaced by non-fish! Laughing but im still trying to decide which way to jump with the whole shrimp thing. im on the fence. i do like the peacefulness of the tank, just dont care for the inability to see anything moving around.

LJ, so if the guppies are eating the shrimp, maybe it's time to introduce them(the guppies) to my umbee.......  how do other people keep shrimp and fish together?  or am i stuck with one or the other?

apistos are sounding more and more like a good deal to me!
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-09-20, 23:10

Nice colorful assortment of Africans. Smile 

I couldn't see clearly in the shrimp tank video -- do you have your filter intakes covered? If not, that might be where some of the shrimp went. I had to switch to sponge filters in the tanks that I have shrimp because they were getting into my hob and box filters unless I covered the intakes.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-20, 23:31

Betty wrote:Nice colorful assortment of Africans. Smile 

I couldn't see clearly in the shrimp tank video -- do you have your filter intakes covered?  If not, that might be where some of the shrimp went.  I had to switch to sponge filters in the tanks that I have shrimp because they were getting into my hob and box filters unless I covered the intakes.
they are not covered..... so maybe my filters sucked them up and pulverized them...... that sucks. but thanks for the info!
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-09-20, 23:39

Take a look and see.  I have found some alive in my filter!
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-20, 23:47

I will head up with a flashlight in a minute...... these shrimp are way more work than sa/ca and african cichlids. haha
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-09-21, 00:44

I was thinking that too. The Aquaclears have pretty good suction, you may have shrimp in the filters.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-21, 00:54

I just checked.... Didn't see any in the filters. They either got ground up, are hiding extremely well, or were eaten by the guppies
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-09-21, 01:08

Lloyd378 you should do this. This provides extra filtration and prevents shrimps from getting sucked in the filter. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-21, 09:40

SiRWesDragon wrote:Lloyd378 you should do this. This provides extra filtration and prevents shrimps from getting sucked in the filter. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Thanks so much for the visual and advise! I believe I'm looking at some sort of plastic box that attaches to the bottom of the intake tube..... Right? Here's a couple of quick questions I hope you can answer. Are these sold outright ? What's the best brand? Where did you purchase it at?
Thanks in advance
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-09-21, 10:15

its just a sponge filter Lloyd attached to the bottom of the intake go to Ken's or you can find them on eBay or make your ownby just taking a piece of foam and taking out a little bit in the middle of it and slide it over
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-21, 10:31

Thanks, madness. Well, since I'm headed in a new direction, I don't think I will need one.
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-09-21, 10:50

lloyd378 wrote:Well, since I'm headed in a new direction, I don't think I will need one.
Done with shrimp? Ready for a bichir? tongue 
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-09-21, 11:08

lloyd378 wrote:
Thanks for so much for the visual and advise! I believe I'm looking at some sort of plastic box that attaches to the bottom of the intake tube..... Right? Here's a couple of quick questions I hope you can answer.  Are these sold outright ? What's the best brand? Where did you purchase it at?
Thanks in advance
Its this filter brand. Got it on ebay cheap. 4 for $10shipped. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
This all I did and stuck the clear tube to the intake tube of filter.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
If intake tube is thinner or short then use the clear tube of the other sponge outlet tube.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
These things are made for
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
PS this all anderson_pr idea

Last edited by SiRWesDragon on 2013-09-21, 11:42; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-21, 11:35

Great idea. Thanks for sharing!
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down