MorganEA
lloyd378
MRTom
hobbyorobsession
DMD123
CrazedAce
11 posters

Go down

New Bristlenose (Ancistrus) Pleco Pattern Empty New Bristlenose (Ancistrus) Pleco Pattern

Post  CrazedAce 2014-01-01, 14:37

Sorry I don't have pics uploaded yet, but I want to start this thread to encourage me to do so!

So to start off, I want to say that I've never seen this pattern on any of my plecos before. It has large almost square white spots, almost as if it was a white body with black stripes. The base of the eyes are white instead of black like my other common plecos. I am hoping that it will survive (It should since it won't fit in the goldfish's mouth) and that I can breed it to start a new strain! It's still only a few months old, so it will be about six more months before I can sex/breed it.

I will be adding pictures tonight when I am at home.

Last edited by CrazedAce on 2014-01-01, 16:44; edited 1 time in total
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

New Bristlenose (Ancistrus) Pleco Pattern Empty Re: New Bristlenose (Ancistrus) Pleco Pattern

Post  DMD123 2014-01-01, 14:47

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

looking forward to pics.....
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

New Bristlenose (Ancistrus) Pleco Pattern Empty Re: New Bristlenose (Ancistrus) Pleco Pattern

Post  hobbyorobsession 2014-01-01, 15:51

also looking forward to pictures.
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2014-01-01, 18:35

Yep... pictures or it didn't happen!
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2014-01-01, 19:19

Being that it's been like years since this post started and still no pics, I say this is a New Years prank!

Or share your pics darn it!!!!
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2014-01-01, 20:48

hmm I think it must be a prank  lol! 
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2014-01-01, 21:00

And compare to my commons;

And here's one with similar markings on its tail;

And the two albino females;

Enough pics for ya? lol
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2014-01-01, 21:11

nope not enough pictures but these will do Wink
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ripples 2014-01-01, 22:00

It looks almost normal when next to its dad except that it is lighter, not as black, and the spots are really white!
Ripples
Ripples
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ripples 2014-01-01, 22:41

lloyd378 wrote:Being that it's been like years since this post started and still no pics, I say this is a New Years prank!

Or share your pics darn it!!!!
MorganEA wrote:hmm I think it must be a prank  lol! 

Years? lol
You must be going by fish years, not human, right? Razz

The thread started at like 11:00AM today
Ripples
Ripples
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2014-01-01, 22:53

Ripples wrote:It looks almost normal when next to its dad except that it is lighter, not as black, and the spots are really white!

Agreed!
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2014-01-01, 22:58

Ripples wrote:It looks almost normal when next to its dad except that it is lighter, not as black, and the spots are really white!

Not the same fish! Those are my "other commons"
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick_87 2014-01-01, 23:39

Awesome pattern on that little  guy. Will be very interesting to see what it turns out like as an adult. The plecos I got from you are about 2" now so we shall see if I can get them breeding soon.
Nick_87
Nick_87

Back to top Go down

Post  Ripples 2014-01-01, 23:45

Nick_87 wrote:Awesome pattern on that little  guy. Will be very interesting to see what it turns out like as an adult. The plecos I got from you are about 2" now so we shall see if I can get them breeding soon.

They should start showing their gender in a couple more months when they reach 3-3 1/2"/. Smile
Did you get one of our random mixed bags?
Ripples
Ripples
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick_87 2014-01-02, 00:31

Yeah, I got 7 or 8 a while ago. I got them from crazedace.
Nick_87
Nick_87

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2014-01-02, 00:47

Nick_87 wrote:Yeah, I got 7 or 8 a while ago. I got them from crazedace.

Ripples is my wife. lol
We traded some plecos for the Metriaclima aurora. I'm pretty sure those were from my first male who died last year. This new guy I got from Portland is very prolific.
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ripples 2014-01-02, 01:16

Oh.....! Well those should be bigger than 2" by now.. All of their siblings are fully grown and have started spawning. What size of tank are you keeping them in?
Ripples
Ripples
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2014-01-02, 03:42

Not all have started spawning, but yes we found eggs in the community tank they were in. The albino male that was fanning barely had any bristles.

Still if anyone has seen this type of color/pattern let me know. I will definitely keep this thread updated with pics every month or two.
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-01-02, 09:22

Great looking plecos. Looking forward to continued updates.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Pneumostome 2014-01-29, 22:10

The little guy has a nice pattern! It will be interesting to see what it looks like when he gets bigger. Keep us posted! Very Happy
Pneumostome
Pneumostome
Fry

http://www.natureinvinicble.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2014-03-05, 04:38

does specific patterning on bristlenoses ever breed true, or is it basically a shot in the dark for the most part? obviously you can breed for color variations like albino, and fin lengths, so i guess you may be able to get a true-breeding patterning as well.

i'm always concerned, though, that the process of getting a trait to 'breed true' can easily leave the fishes with weakened genetics (more chance of 2 recessive or 'bad' alleles which might create disadvantageous traits)... do you do anything with your breeding program to help avoid problems with inbreeding? i suppose as long as you separate the offspring from the parents before maturity and don't use them for breeding pairs with the parents or each other, it should be a-ok
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down