Help me get rid of BBA?

4 posters

Go down

Help me get rid of BBA? Empty Help me get rid of BBA?

Post  heutinn 2013-11-23, 16:08

I'm having a black beard algae problem. I started using excel at a double dose and it knocked it back quite a bit, but it doesn't seem to finish the job. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Thanks. The tank is a 46 bowfront with a lot of cherry shrimp, some different tetras and a two dwarf bristle-nose plecos in it. I have a dual 96 watt CF setup on it. Working on the CO2 system now but ran out of $ until January. It has a penguin 350 and another crappy filter on it currently. I plan on putting an eheim 2213 with an inline CO2 diffuser on it in January. I am dosing iron and a comprehensive supplement on it now as well.

heutinn
Fry

Back to top Go down

Help me get rid of BBA? Empty Re: Help me get rid of BBA?

Post  anderson_p_r 2013-11-23, 17:17

Have you tried hydrogen peroxide yet? I primarily only use it on thread algae, which I continue to fight with. I have had good luck with in tank spot treatment. I use a 10cc syringe with a short length of air hose on the end. Never have to use more than 1.5mL/g to take care of it.
anderson_p_r
anderson_p_r

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-11-24, 01:16

CO2 injection seems to be the deterrent for me. If it's just lil' pieces here and there Siamese algae eaters are another tool I use to help keep BHA at bay.

I've never heard of a dwarf Bristle nosed pleco  ?!?!?!? Got stats and pictures of this dwarf species?
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Help me get rid of BBA? Empty dwarf bristlenose pleco

Post  heutinn 2013-11-24, 01:23

I'm not too sure about the dwarf part. i bought a 55 with about 30 of these "dwarf" bristlenose plecos and a ton of red cherry shrimp from a guy on CL and he said they were dwarf. I got rid of most of them, but the ones I kept have stayed three inches or smaller. I've had them for a long time now so either they're dwarfs or bristlenose just stay really small.

heutinn
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-11-24, 13:30

Well there are a couple Brostlenose species, but I have never heard of a dwarf species. Most species stay in the 4-5 inch range.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-11-24, 14:29

anderson_p_r wrote:Have you tried hydrogen peroxide yet?  I primarily only use it on thread algae, which I continue to fight with.  I have had good luck with in tank spot treatment.  I use a 10cc syringe with a short length of air hose on the end.  Never have to use more than 1.5mL/g to take care of it.
I am starting to think thread algae is caused in little tanks by over abundance of nutriances( iron mainly ). It's killing me in 2 small tanks. Today I will be scrubbing and treating with hydrogen peroxide. Then removing any root tabs, amd stopping all iron supplements....
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessikins 2013-11-24, 18:14

I did the peroxide treatment method a couple months ago and it knocked it out. I've been using excel ever since and haven't seen one stitch of the stuff.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Jessikins
Jessikins

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum