125 Gallon African SORTA

5 posters

Go down

125 Gallon African SORTA Empty 125 Gallon African SORTA

Post  Doza 2010-07-06, 04:54

125 gallon African with a mix of not so africans awaiting there own tank..

They are looking just fine for now and will be moved asap...
Fuelleborni Male. With a socolofi
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Tank with more rock and my 8 bulb t5 light on it to help with algea growth a little
What a Face

With the t5 lights off.
Doza
Doza
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

125 Gallon African SORTA Empty Re: 125 Gallon African SORTA

Post  sandnuka 2010-07-06, 05:10

IT LOOKS AWESOME! great job.... i love the choices... the colors just look great! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doza 2010-07-06, 05:22

sandnuka wrote:IT LOOKS AWESOME! great job.... i love the choices... the colors just look great! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ty.. Sorry not the best pics.. Gf has a cam but takes horrible moving shots.. Fish always blur really bad.. Its sad my laptop takes better moving shots.. still bad quality tho..
Doza
Doza
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2010-07-07, 01:14

Great looking tank Doza!
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikey 2010-07-07, 01:25

Very nice. I use the T5's as well and I love them!!
Mikey
Mikey
Contributing Member

http://www.wafishbox.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sidekicking 2010-07-07, 02:18

Awesome looking pics and the fish look great
I really like pic #2
sidekicking
sidekicking
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-07-07, 03:14

What kind of light is that?? How many watts?? you dont have any alge problems right? I have a heck of a time with my lights if i leave them on more than 12 hours.... next day I get a ton of rust/orange alge.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doza 2010-07-07, 04:52

I am trying to GROW algea on the reef rock sitting their... I never grew the brown algea with the t5 bulbs that are in the fixture...

The lighting is 2 3ft long t8 daylight bulbs inside a 6ft light bar.. and i decided to throw more rock into the tank that came from my 29 gallon SW tank i was trying my hand at but i dont have the money to be trying to do all of these things so im putting that on hold..

I decided to put my t5 light fixture in front of the 6ft bar on the right side above the rock to grow algea.. The fixture is a 8 bulb fixture which is about 440 watts and it is mostly Blue bulbs not sure on the exact Kelvin.. all info has come off the bulbs by now..

I have only had the t5s over the rock for a couple of days now..

I put some flourish in there to help out the growth a little plus my plants could use it..

When this fixture was on my 90 gallon with the africans in it i had a huge amount of algea growth on a side of the glass that was up against a wall so i never scrapped it and my fuelleborni would always go at the algea on that side...

sandnuka wrote:What kind of light is that?? How many watts?? you dont have any alge problems right? I have a heck of a time with my lights if i leave them on more than 12 hours.... next day I get a ton of rust/orange alge.

How is your water quality... Also another thing i have heard is if you have preatty old light bulbs you will grow brown algea..

This is often the first algae to appear in a newly set-up tank, where conditions have yet to stabilise. It will often appear around the 2-12 week period, and may disappear as quickly as it arrived when the conditions stabilise after a couple of months. It is essential to minimise nutrient levels to ensure the algae disappears - avoid overfeeding and carry out the appropriate water changes, gravel and filter cleaning, etc. Limiting the light will not deter this algae, as it can grow at low lighting levels and will normally out-compete green algae under these conditions.

If brown algae appears in an established tank, check nitrate and phosphate levels. Increased water changes or more thorough substrate cleaning may be necessary. Using a phosphate-adsorbing resin will also remove silicates, which are important to the growth of this algae. However, as noted above, it is essentially impossible to totally eliminate algae with this strategy alone. Due to its ability to grow at low light levels, this algae may also appear in dimly lit tanks, where old fluorescent bulbs have lost much of their output. If a problem does occur, otocinclus catfish are known to clear this algae quickly, although you may need several for larger tanks, and they can be difficult to acclimatise initially.

There are some very plausible theories as to why this algae often appears in newly set up tanks and then later disappears. If the silicate (Si) to phosphate (P) ratio is high, then diatoms are likely to have a growth advantage over true algae types and Cyanobacteria. Some of the silicate may come from the tapwater, but it will also be leached from the glass of new aquaria, and potentially from silica sand/gravel substrates to some extent. Later, when this leaching has slowed, and phosphate is accumulating in the maturing tank, the Si:P ratio will change in favour of phosphate, which is likely to favour the growth of green algae instead.
Quote from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Doza
Doza
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down