Plant Names... What?

+4
hobbyorobsession
dwarfpike
Chiisai
PokeSephiroth
8 posters

Go down

Plant Names... What? Empty Plant Names... What?

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-25, 17:00

I don't know why this "annoys" me, I mean, it shouldn't.... It's a common mistake, but I just find it odd that it happens so much with this particular plant. I'm talking about Anubias, and how some people call it as "Anubis" . . . they're not the same thing folks. Two totally different things. I've gone ahead and made a simple graphic, showing the two different things...and hopefully my efforts will have changed a few people. Or something like that. LOL...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now, don't get me wrong... I've had my fair share of name mishaps, lol. It happens to all of us, but seriously, this one is like... the most common one I've seen through this hobby. =P
Does anyone else have any similar experiences? Hearing, reading, or seeing anyone call a plant by something else? Now, I don't mean miss-identifying a plant... like, if someone calls Frogbit as Water Lettuce. No, that doesn't count. heh.
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Plant Names... What? Empty Re: Plant Names... What?

Post  Chiisai 2013-11-25, 17:12

Perhaps you should spell out the correct pronunciation for us Razz Alternatively it drives me bonkers when plants or fish are referred to by their scientific name. Its called a scientific name to keep it separated from any other species and usually has VERY specific attributes that makes that species unique. However for the most part I find lots of people using scientific names in teh aquarium world (IMHO) as a form of elitism, when more common names would be more appropriate.

The very basis of having language is so others can understand what you are trying to convey. If one muddles their words with big scientific names instead of more common terms. Then you are de facto self defeating in your endeavor. We should all strive to use simple "user friendly" terms that the average lay person can understand, as my understanding is this forum is to help spread knowledge and provide aquarists an outlet. Just my 2 cents... done with my soapbox, you can have it back!
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2013-11-25, 17:14

Can I use that picture for my profile pic? Lol
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-25, 17:20

Chisaii: Sure, you can totally use my graphic. LOL!!!

I used to think the same way, about scientific names, but because common names can be used so often, a lot of people end up mixing the names, thus there is some kind of confusion. Take the Siamese Algae Eater for example... there are various fish that look exactly like an SAE and are thus mislabeled as such, and the only way to know for sure that what you're getting is a true Siamese Algae Eater, is by its scientific name " Crossocheilus siamensis" . . . often times, these fish get mixed up with Flying Fox fish (Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus). While they do look similar in appearance, the Siamese Algae Eater is the only one (out of these two) that will eat Black Beard Algae, while the Flying FOx only eats green algae. Very Happy

Also, there are instances where common names are used for two totally different fish... Take, the Parrot Fish for example... One is a freshwater cichlid hybrid (not sure if these have a scientific name, now that I think about it), while the other is a saltwater fish that creates a "cocoon" out of its mucous when it sleeps at night (Scientific name: Scaridae). Razz

......... now, I totally get what you mean when people start using scientific names for fish that are just...way too common to be called by their scientific name, which I think is ...well... uncalled for. LOL...Like, say... if someone were to say something like "Hello, you wouldn't happen to have any Paracheirodon innesi in stock do you?" . . . . when all it really is, is just a Neon Tetra. Hahahaha!! Yes, I totally understand that =P
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2013-11-25, 18:00

And to make Poke's point even better, he forgot the original cichlid Parrot Fish:

dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-25, 18:06

........... whatisthisidonteven... WHOA... Mindblown. I never knew such a fish existed. So that makes, THREE parrotfish...fish?
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2013-11-25, 18:11

Not surprised Poke, they are giants ... 18" males, but real beauties. This used to be the cichlid Parrot before those frankenfish got created. Sad you have to hit the second page of pictures on google just about to find the first pic of them.

Also, let's not forget that (at least with new world cichlids) that often times several species come in under a single common name so using the scientific name makes sense. If you order a blue acara, you could get 6 different species. Green Terror? 3. Red terror 2. Redhead Geo? Also 2.
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-25, 18:12

oh my gosh. LOL

So yeah... Anubis...Anubias...two totally different things. Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2013-11-25, 18:14

I do admit I sometimes slip and talk about Egyptian Deities instead of plants. I usually correct myself, but not always. Smile 
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2013-11-25, 18:32

PokeSephiroth wrote:
I used to think the same way, about scientific names, but because common names can be used so often, a lot of people end up mixing the names, thus there is some kind of confusion. Take the Siamese Algae Eater for example... there are various fish that look exactly like an SAE and are thus mislabeled as such, and the only way to know for sure that what you're getting is a true Siamese Algae Eater, is by its scientific name " Crossocheilus siamensis" . . . often times, these fish get mixed up with Flying Fox fish (Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus). While they do look similar in appearance, the Siamese Algae Eater is the only one (out of these two) that will eat Black Beard Algae, while the Flying FOx only eats green algae. Very Happy

Also, there are instances where common names are used for two totally different fish... Take, the Parrot Fish for example... One is a freshwater cichlid hybrid (not sure if these have a scientific name, now that I think about it), while the other is a saltwater fish that creates a "cocoon" out of its mucous when it sleeps at night (Scientific name: Scaridae). Razz
I can kind of see what your saying but a few rebuttles...

If we are talking about Chinese algae eaters, or someone is asking a question about them. Its safe to assume that everyone knows what your talking about unless your identifying it for someone. If for instance I used Crossocheilus siamensis in a question but actually had said flying fox... the mis-identification still exists.. but for the purpose of the convo you would assume I have correctly identified the fish

Regarding the parrot... I have never personally seen the pic you have called just "parrot Fish" I have always seen them labeled Blood Parrot. Which unless I am completely ignorant.. I dont think there are any other fish that fit.

To sum it all up I do understand that there are times when a scientific name is appropriate. I think more often then not its use is not necessary and leads the un-learned(i dont think thats a real word lol) on a head scratching spree. I like to think this forum is for n00b to PHD in marine biology. Atleast thats what I get from the site information. Although most aquarium plants do seem to hold only their scientific names like the Anubias. Although I like Anubis better... water is under the surface...

P.S. You still need to give me the
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-25, 18:37

Perhaps it's because I heard/read the word "Anubias" first, before hearing someone else call it "Anubis" . . . .which is why I'm not used to hearing it identified as Anubis. LOL... Anywho, different strokes for different folks. =P

P.S. I still need to give you the..........what?
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2013-11-25, 18:49

*Facepalm* sorry the correct pronunciation. or should I assume its ah-noob-EE-us?

Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2013-11-25, 18:50

I really wish common names and acronyms would become less popular. How many plants can we call baby tears... scientific names eliminates alot of confusion.
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-25, 18:55

Chiisai wrote:*Facepalm* sorry the correct pronunciation. or should I assume its ah-noob-EE-us?
Whoops, sorry about that. LOL.. Yes, that is how I would pronounce Anubias.
Whereas Anubis, is just pronounced as "Ah-noob-is" .  . . which has 3 syllables whilst Anubias has 4. Very Happy

hobbyorobsession wrote:I really wish common names and acronyms would become less popular. How many plants can we call baby tears... scientific names eliminates alot of confusion.
True, hahaha baby tears, oh man... =P
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-11-25, 19:01

hobbyorobsession wrote:I really wish common names and acronyms would become less popular. How many plants can we call baby tears... scientific names eliminates alot of confusion.
Plus One cheers 
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-25, 19:16

Another perfect example:

Hydrocotyle sp. Japan
Hydrocotyle sp. Tripartita
Hydrocotyle sp. Sibthorpioides

All look similar to one another, and with a common name "X-Leaf Clover" with X being a specified number, can be really confusing. =P Alas, I do still like to call things by their common names, as it does make things easier to talk about to the average aquarist/customer.

But when it comes to specifically identifying a plant/fish, scientific names are the only way to go. Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2013-11-25, 21:39

annnnnd then you have people like me who because they've only ever read it on the internet/books have assumed a pronunciation that is not what you would call common....I cannot pronounce braid(from when I was a kid), otto, and apparently bichir! and probably many more that get funny looks but only to my back.whistle cheers
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-25, 21:46

................I still don't know how to properly pronounce Bichir LOL...

Bisheer? Beech-ir? Buy-sher? LOLOLOL
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2013-11-25, 21:54

I say burr-cher....Madness says it's supposed to be bit-ch-er but says biker and usually calls them polys to be simple LOL at least I can spell it properly now...
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-26, 00:22

Yeah, see... I wish those Bichirs were called something else, a lot easier to pronounce. LOL
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-11-26, 00:51

I say bish-eers, though many folks I know call them bit-ch-ers. And mbuna is pronounced em-boo-nuh, not mmm-boo-nuh. Lol

Then we get to anacharis/elodea which are similar in appearance, but I don't know how to pronounce it. Same with brevis. Lol
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-26, 00:55

I pronounce Anacharis as "Ah-na-ka-ris"
Elodea as "Eh-low-dee-ah"
Brevis as "Breh-vees"

PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter 2013-11-29, 19:05

Wait, so it turns out I've had the Egyptian god of the underworld living in my tank this whole time? That explains the desolation, pestilence, and overall rotting-flesh peppered with the occasional locust in my tank. I really should complain the the managers at PetSmartCo about properly labeling their plant selection.
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter 2013-11-29, 19:12

CrazedAce wrote:

Then we get to anacharis/elodea which are similar in appearance, but I don't know how to pronounce it. Same with brevis. Lol
Just to add even more confusion to everything, anacharis doesn't even exist anymore! The whole genus was renamed Elodea. Now, there are 3 seperate species of Elodea. Some people use one name for one species, and another genus name for the other.

Yay for the fluidity of the naming convention system we have in place! cheers 
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down