plant ID please?

2 posters

Go down

plant ID please? Empty plant ID please?

Post  Anthony J. 2013-11-30, 20:09

Sorry, I have no idea what this is. It wasn't labeled in the lfs,  and I am still pretty new to keeping plants. A lot of the pictures aren't clear, but they are kept to show what looks to be immersed and submersed growth. Also to show growth and leaf structure, and so you can compare with plants in the background for size reference. The plants you will see in the pictures accompanying the plant in question are. Cryptocoryne parva, both immersed and submersed growth, immersed lilaeopsis brasiliensis, freshly purchased all immersed ludwigia repens, submersed rotala indica, and submersed proserpinaca palustris. This plant is tiny, and I have a few good closeups of the plant. Thanks for any help provided. And please excuse my ignorance in any miss spelling of names etc.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

if more, clearer or specific pictures are needed please ask, I am more than willing to take and post. Thanks for any help.
Anthony J.
Anthony J.
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

plant ID please? Empty Re: plant ID please?

Post  Guest 2013-11-30, 20:27

Nice set up. Anthony j. Seattle_Aquarist knows his stuff. He can identify the plants

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthony J. 2013-11-30, 20:47

Thanks, its really dirty. If you followed my 20L, I got snails and broke it down, set it up in a 10 and then rebroke it down and set it up back into the original 20. I was thinking about doing and update soon, but, all the immersed growth makes me angry Cursing Cursing Cursing ..... hope he chimes in soon, I'm going nuts not knowing.
Anthony J.
Anthony J.
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Seattle_Aquarist 2013-11-30, 22:24

Hi Everyone,

Identifying plants from pictures is difficult and best; especially with many species looking somewhat identical. The stem plant in picture Anthony J. posted looks like a Ludwigia species, probably Ludwigia repens although Ludwigia palustris looks similar.
Seattle_Aquarist
Seattle_Aquarist
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthony J. 2013-11-30, 22:28

Thanks Roy.
Whys it so small, isn't repens usually nickle size? Its tiny, like microscopic.  I wonder how to keep it like this.
Anthony J.
Anthony J.
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthony J. 2013-11-30, 22:44

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Crazy size difference, will keep them separate for now, but in the same tank.  Obviously, the big repens is immersed growth. But, even the small repens has some immersed growth on it. The size difference is crazy.. I hope I can keep it small, would be great in a pico or something.
Anthony J.
Anthony J.
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Seattle_Aquarist 2013-11-30, 22:54

Anthony J. wrote:Thanks Roy.
Whys it so small, isn't repens usually nickle size? Its tiny, like microscopic.  I wonder how to keep it like this.
Hi Anthony J.,

Your are correct, healthy L. repens leaves are typically the size of a dime or larger however plant leaves will sometimes be stunted, small, or deformed due to nutrient deficiencies; i.e. nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, and carbon along with a host of micronutrients.
Seattle_Aquarist
Seattle_Aquarist
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthony J. 2013-11-30, 23:05

Oh, so in order to keep this plant looking the way it does is deprivation? Hmmm, I wonder if this can be done successfully scratch 

thank you so much for the info Roy.
Anthony J.
Anthony J.
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down