CA/SA Ideas

+2
lloyd378
keeones23
6 posters

Go down

CA/SA Ideas Empty CA/SA Ideas

Post  keeones23 2013-07-24, 17:22

Hey folks. I'm brand new to CA/SA. I just found what I thought was a pretty good deal..a 210gal tank and stand on CL for $200.

I thought a big tank like that needs some big fish to go in it. I've done a little bit of research and everything i'm interested in putting in

it doesn't seem to be popular opinion on this site or any site for that matter. I really would like to keep some festae(red terror), but

they seem to not tolerate tankmates much from what I've read. I also like the Green terror, Firemouth, Flowerhorn, Blood Parrots, Red

Spotted Severum, JD's are ok, Oscars too, Convicts are everywhere so maybe a couple of those. Anyone keeping anything like this

group of fishes? The tank is still empty, I plan on getting it up and running when I move into my new place. I just want to get a few

stocking ideas from those that know this group of fish better than myself. Left up to me, I would buy everything and end up with

nothing:D
keeones23
keeones23
Fry

Back to top Go down

CA/SA Ideas Empty Re: CA/SA Ideas

Post  lloyd378 2013-07-24, 17:36

I've kept and still keep quite a few of those species.... Man with a 210, you can do a lot. Festae can live with tons of other cichlids ..... As all cichlids are feisty .  If I had that 210 I'd get he Midas pair currently up for free in battle ground!  I have two smaller Midas and love their personality. If I were you I might steer clear of convicts and oscars as those are a dime a dozen ... I know that they are popular, but you could get some even cooler fish on this site from some good people,    Feel free to pm me if you want to know what I'm currently keeping.... It might give you some ideas.   The others will chime in soon too
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-07-24, 17:39

And yes 200 for a 210 is an amazing deal! I'd give you 250 for it any day of the week Laughing 
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-07-24, 17:44

keeones23 wrote:Hey folks. I'm brand new to CA/SA. I just found what I thought was a pretty good deal..a 210gal tank and stand on CL for $200.

I thought a big tank like that needs some big fish to go in it. I've done a little bit of research and everything i'm interested in putting in

it doesn't seem to be popular opinion on this site or any site for that matter. I really would like to keep some festae(red terror), but

they seem to not tolerate tankmates much from what I've read. I also like the Green terror, Firemouth, Flowerhorn, Blood Parrots, Red

Spotted Severum, JD's are ok, Oscars too, Convicts
are everywhere so maybe a couple of those. Anyone keeping anything like this

group of fishes? The tank is still empty, I plan on getting it up and running when I move into my new place. I just want to get a few

stocking ideas from those that know this group of fish better than myself. Left up to me, I would buy everything and end up with

nothing:D

OK, here we go.  LOL  Festae as a pair are best left alone, Festae as a single, IMO, may work in a community if there is room. Festae males can reach 15" with females close to the 10" mark.  
The rest of the fish on your list, me personally, think are boring. LOL  I have kept them all, but with all the New World Cichlids out there now, I will never buy one of what your asking about again.  (You should check out all the new stuff)  But I will try and give you my opinions on the list you have.
GT - Large cool looking fish, just like any Cichlid can be territorial, and can reach 12".
Firemouths are cool fish also, they stay a bit on the smaller side 7-8".  I would get at least 2-3 if getting some of these.  They are cool to watch working as a group to defend their area.
FH- Flowerhorns are very nice looking. (But they are a hybrid, LOL) For a nice looking FH you will pay a pretty penny.  FH are nasty and mean and IMO best left as a single pet.  I have heard of them coexisting in a community tank, again as long as there is plenty of room.
Blood Parrots- I have no idea, I think these things are ugly.  Thats just me though.
Severums- Are more on the mellower side of the spectrum, so be careful what you put in with them.
JD- Jack Dempseys use to be the mean/nasty fish out there, which is how it got its name after the great fighter Jack Dempsey.  Dempseys these days are pussy cats compared to a lot of the species out there today.
Convicts- Good old Convicts.  They get a bad rap, but if you can find a true Convict that isnt a product of God knows what, they can look quite nice when full grown.  But again, the Cons are known as the meanest fish for their size.  If you have a pair, look out.  

Honestly, if you are new to the group, get on the computer and Google New World Cichlids and just look at the images.  And if you like and have a few hours, Id be more than happy to give you a tour of my fish room and help you decide and answer (hopefully) many of your questions.  I currently have 40+- different Cichlid species.

Let me know. Smile
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-07-24, 17:48

Yes , head to his house to check out his fish!  I picked up 4 different species from him this morning and was there for a little over an hour and a half( at this was like my 10th time there lol)    I'd also like to add that one of my favorites that would your new tank would be he red isletas!   Absolutely awesome personality and mine from madness is my avatar pic
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-07-24, 18:06

Here are a few to think about:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img][img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img][img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img][img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img][img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img][img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]

This is just a few. Smile
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-07-24, 19:39

I love cichlids but dont want a cichlid only tank. I like a community of different types of fish. I only have three in my 210, A pearsei, midas, and bifa. I also have seven red hook silver dollars and soon will be adding a rhino pleco and my giraffe cat. Over the years Ive leaned more toward community friendly cichlids that are more easy going so Ive had Oscars and Sevrum with no problems.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Addicted2CAs 2013-07-25, 10:56

Being biased I have to recommend umbee, any and all umbee! I currently have 3 variations across three tanks and they are simply stunning in looks, personality, and aggressiveness. I have come not to mind a 1-2 fish big tank as you can easily be made a believer with a monster pair of beautiful fish, it's when they are smaller in that big tank that usually makes you want a community. Also check out madness's Dovii pair and you may understand what I'm trying to say!
Addicted2CAs
Addicted2CAs

Back to top Go down

Post  keeones23 2013-07-25, 12:24

Thanks everyone for participating. I'm getting my research on for sure. My original thought was to get a group of young fishes, let them grow and see which ones I liked best before they got too big and aggressive towards each other. I'm not set on any one species, I just want to make it somewhat of a show tank. Though if I only did one group I think it would be the Festae. Madness, I would love to stop by and see your fish room sometime..let me know what works for you and we can do this.
keeones23
keeones23
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-07-25, 13:13

Very good idea. Ive had much better success with mixing cichlids while young and growing them out. I try to get three of a particular type and watch them for aggression and how they generally get along and them slowly thin out till I have my choice fish.

Definitely stop by madness place and check out his fish, better than all the local fish stores for sure!
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-07-25, 13:36

Mixing these type of fish is always a gamble no matter what. Having multiple tanks or knowing someone that could take a fish at moments notice is a necessity when trying to mix cichlids.
I like this website for New World Cichlids.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-07-25, 13:43

Ive use that site in the past.

A bit out of date now.... with many of the fish in the vieja and cichlasoma being reclassified. So you will need to sometimes go a bit further on the research to find what these fish are now considered.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  keeones23 2013-07-25, 13:56

I've come across that site as well, I've been keeping Africans for a while now so I'm familiar. Now I'm starting to really look into the "New World" cichlids. I was keeping a wide variety of Mbuna and Peacocks/Haps in the my 135gal and I mean every fish old enough to do so spawned several times. I got them all as juvies and never really had a problem with aggression. Overstocking them really helped keep things nice and chill. I've come to understand that the same isn't neccessarily true for the New World types so I'm preparing for it. Right now my big thing is Tropheus. I have a pretty nice collection..even if I have to say so myself lol. I enjoy my trophs and the challenges that come with them. Ready for the New World challenge..
keeones23
keeones23
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  mahoney206 2013-07-26, 18:20

Dang madness that festae is lookin goood!
mahoney206
mahoney206
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down