Salzabar
DMD123
Gryphon
Madness
12 posters

Go down

Fish BAN on WC species Empty Fish BAN on WC species

Post  Madness 2013-05-07, 22:58

So, what do all of you think about this latest a greatest BS....
Here is a link to the latest poor decision, Democrat Louise Slaughter (D-NY). [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Fish BAN on WC species Empty Re: Fish BAN on WC species

Post  Gryphon 2013-05-07, 23:17

Toss this in with the proposed NOAA rules for salt water corals and the hobby is taking a heavy hit.
Gryphon
Gryphon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-05-07, 23:20

The need to protect our native species from invasive or harmful pathogens/parasites is understandable, that is the basic idea behind this from what Im reading. But the fact is many of these 'pets' that would be listed as "unaccepted" could not live in our wild anyway. They require special conditions (usually temperature) that would not allow them to survive here. Sad if they were to apply this to all the WC fish in our hobby.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Salzabar 2013-05-07, 23:22

Hey, just like our fireworks. Get your fish at the reservations since Native Americans are exempt from this law. We just have to sneak them off the res and into our tanks. If only people wouldn't let the snakeheads loose in central park all the time, this wouldn't be an issue.
I can understand why this bill has come about but they first have to figure out how to fund it and that won't sit too well when there is a ton more important issues that need to be addressed. I perdict a complete failure of this bill once we hear from the ways and means committee.
Salzabar
Salzabar

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-05-07, 23:22

I see the prices of good quality stock sky rocketing in the near future, just like ammunition recently did...... I'd like to think that her heart is in the right place, and that she is just completely ignorant to actual solutions for an issue she sees as a major problem.
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2013-05-07, 23:29

I hate to think when this finally passes. I feel they will just continually re write it until its worded in away that it gets pushed through. I feel it unfairly targets exotic pets where studies show that domesticated cats have a huge impact on the environment they are let loose in.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-05-08, 00:10

hey madness,
does this mean no more WC red devils?

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-05-08, 02:34

earthfish wrote:hey madness,

If this is passed, then it could mean no WC anything. Almost all of the exotic Plecos being sold are WC from Brazil. Thats just 1 type of fish that would not be available anymore. I read another article on another forum that said plants may also be involved in this.

I guess we will have to wait and see. Until then, stock up. Cause you know that if this passes and a date is set, the price of WC species will go through the roof.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-05-08, 08:05

affraid Invasive - — adj
1. of or relating to an invasion, intrusion, etc

Talk about someone with to much time on their hands...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-05-08, 10:21

madness wrote:
earthfish wrote:hey madness,

If this is passed, then it could mean no WC anything. Almost all of the exotic Plecos being sold are WC from Brazil. Thats just 1 type of fish that would not be available anymore. I read another article on another forum that said plants may also be involved in this.

I guess we will have to wait and see. Until then, stock up. Cause you know that if this passes and a date is set, the price of WC species will go through the roof.

Good thing I just ordered my dream WC pleco!

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-05-08, 12:56

earthfish

what Pleco did you order?
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-05-08, 14:24

hobbyorobsession wrote:studies show that domesticated cats have a huge impact on the environment they are let loose in.

It'll be a cold day in H-E-double-hockeystick if they ever try to take my darling furballs!

WOLVERINES!!!!!!!!!!!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JimA 2013-05-08, 14:40

Whats so stupid is just because America does it, doesn't mean other countries will. We are always so concerened with the enviroment and what not, but it's 3rd world countries that are the worse ofenders. As far as the import of wild caught fish I think some kind of regulation is needed but not here. It has to be where the fish are coming from and the people catching them, good luck with that! If fishing is not regulated at the source like Africa, the fish will dissapear just a matter of time..

JimA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bassetman 2013-05-08, 14:55

The key to saving these species in the wild is to make it profitable to do so. If they cannot be sold why save the river jut cyst he jungle and move on.
bassetman
bassetman
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Addicted2CAs 2013-05-08, 16:21

I really love how this all of a sudden becomes an important "environmental issue" yet modern society continues to ravage the environment with our consuming lifestyles, where in comparison invasive fish are a moot point. This is the LEAST of man's worries. The govt is about the money, follow the money and you will have all the answers you need.
Addicted2CAs
Addicted2CAs

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-05-08, 17:37

I understand the need for something like this because invasive species can do a lot of harm to our native species, but I'm afraid it will be too far reaching. If this gets through, I hope common sense will prevail, if there is any in Congress. Rolling Eyes

There is a list of invasive fish species here...

A news story from yesterday.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Addicted2CAs 2013-05-08, 19:35

I certainly get the whole invasive species thing as well and I am 100% against promoting it in any way. Lets be real with this, we live in Washington state, for the most part keep tropical fish from 1000's of miles away and they will not live for 5 minutes in our waters. That being said, there is zero logic in an all-encompassing bill like this that ban so and so species from EVERY state. That is why one must see who has a vested interest in a bill of this type. There is someone or some corporation that is funding this.
Addicted2CAs
Addicted2CAs

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-05-08, 20:15

madness wrote:
earthfish

what Pleco did you order?

Butterfly.

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-05-08, 21:32

Addicted2CAs wrote:I certainly get the whole invasive species thing as well and I am 100% against promoting it in any way. Lets be real with this, we live in Washington state, for the most part keep tropical fish from 1000's of miles away and they will not live for 5 minutes in our waters. That being said, there is zero logic in an all-encompassing bill like this that ban so and so species from EVERY state. That is why one must see who has a vested interest in a bill of this type. There is someone or some corporation that is funding this.

You are right about the fact that the fish could not live in our environment BUT if they are not banned on a national level there will always be someone that will bend the rules and take his legal fish and sell them to someone who should not own them or sell them to someone in a state where the fish are banned. It will happen anyway (even if they are made illegal or banned everywhere...there will always be those that will own them in "secret") but most laws are "blanket" style...what's good for one is good for all. It makes it easier for the lawmakers and enforcers. No decisions need to be made and the fish are simply illegal and banned.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Salzabar 2013-05-08, 23:13

IN the bill it states "goldfish" on the exempt list. Really???? Talk about invasive. I used to catch 8"-12" goldfish right out of Greenlake as a boy and still do out of Lake Samamish right off of Marymoore Park. I don't see this bill passing.
Salzabar
Salzabar

Back to top Go down

Post  Addicted2CAs 2013-05-09, 10:44

cichlid-gal wrote:
Addicted2CAs wrote:I certainly get the whole invasive species thing as well and I am 100% against promoting it in any way. Lets be real with this, we live in Washington state, for the most part keep tropical fish from 1000's of miles away and they will not live for 5 minutes in our waters. That being said, there is zero logic in an all-encompassing bill like this that ban so and so species from EVERY state. That is why one must see who has a vested interest in a bill of this type. There is someone or some corporation that is funding this.

You are right about the fact that the fish could not live in our environment BUT if they are not banned on a national level there will always be someone that will bend the rules and take his legal fish and sell them to someone who should not own them or sell them to someone in a state where the fish are banned. It will happen anyway (even if they are made illegal or banned everywhere...there will always be those that will own them in "secret") but most laws are "blanket" style...what's good for one is good for all. It makes it easier for the lawmakers and enforcers. No decisions need to be made and the fish are simply illegal and banned.

Exactly, so we ALL get screwed and it's easy for the lazy a** govt to simply make a blanket bill. In the end all of this means nothing as fish will still be imported, simply with a jacked up price tag and it will all be underground. Look at the great "war on drugs," it's really working right?
Addicted2CAs
Addicted2CAs

Back to top Go down

Post  bassetman 2013-05-09, 11:17

Oh no, the war on fish is starting.....just say dry, just say dry!
bassetman
bassetman
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down