Shrimp Species?

+2
pbmax
Chiisai
6 posters

Go down

Shrimp Species? Empty Shrimp Species?

Post  Chiisai 2013-12-07, 23:47

Wife and I are SERIOUSLY considering doing a planted shirmp tank. Looking though all the various shimp it seems like many "breeds" are VERY similar to other shirmp breeds. Shimp juviniles that dont host said color or pattern are referred to as bee shirmp, or tiger shimp. So my question is this... Are most of these shrimp "Breeds" really different shrimp species? Or are they just selectively bred to the point where they qualify for new species name?
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Shrimp Species? Empty Re: Shrimp Species?

Post  Guest 2013-12-08, 00:13

Here is a shrimp chart to see which species are compatible without interbreeding  causing wild type (brown dull color) shrimps.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-12-08, 00:21

So each shrimps that are checked green corresponding to that shrimp are not same species.  The shrimps that are marked red X corresponding to that shrimp are same species.

Last edited by SiRWesDragon on 2013-12-08, 00:23; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2013-12-08, 00:22

So are these really all naturally different species? Or are these one or 2 species that have been bred into many species?

For instance all the dog breeds we have today were bred from an original trio of breeds. Or we have designer dogs like gollden-doodles. They are listed as a different breed but are not naturally occuring. They are man made species.
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2013-12-08, 00:23

SiRWesDragon wrote:So each shrimps that are checked green corresponding to that shrimp are not same species.  The shrimps that are marked red X corresponding to that shrimp are same species.
aww so there are really only a few true shrimp species...
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-12-08, 00:38

Neocardinia Heteropoda:
- Red Cherry (RCS)*- Sakura Red- Fire Red*- Painted Fire Red (PFR)- Supreme Red*- Yellow- Fire Yellow*- Golden- Neon Yellow- Neon fire yellow*- Orange,Pumpkin*- Sunkist Sakura*- Red rilli*- Blue rilli*- Blue Velvet*- Carbon RiliChocolate (Schoko)- Black*- Blue*- Brown*
Neocardinia Palmata:- Pearls (var. Blue*, White, etc.)
Cardinia cantonesis:- Crystal red (CRS)*- Pure Red Line (PRL)*- K14 (also a PRL)*- Crystal black (CBS)- Pure Black Line (PBL)*- Black Impact (also a PBL)*- Tiger- Super Tiger*- Red Tiger*- Orange Eye Blue Tiger (OEBT)*- Black Tiger Orange Eye (BTOE)*- Royal Blue Tiger*- Black Tiger Black Eye (BTBE)*- Panda*- Shadow Panda*- Blue Bolt*- Hulk*- Black King Kong (BKK)*- Cristal White *- Tibee (Tiger x Bee)*
Caridina pareparensis parvidentata:-Malawa*
Caridina serrata:- Tangerine Tiger (TT)*
Cardinia japonica(multidentata):-Amano*
Caridina (Paracaridina) meridionalis:- Camouflage Tiger Shrimp, Hong Kong Shrimp, Larry Shrimp*
Halocaridina rubra:- Hawaiian Red Shrimps "Opae Ula"*
Caridina Hogarti:- Green Nose Shrimp*
Caridina Gracilirostris:-Pinoccio*
Caridina BALBAUTI-Rainbow*-brown/black*-zebra*
SULAWESI- Cardinal- 
HarlequinPalaemonetes sp.- Ghost/Glass shrimp

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-12-08, 00:45

Real species names are in black but each have different morphs for color. But mix 2 same species morphs you will get wild type (dull brown color). For example Red Cherry and yellow shrimps will breed and get wild types.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-12-08, 00:50

But regular red cherries with another red like supreme red. Super red bebies.
 Mix regular yellows with neon yellow chances of neons are 50/50. 
Red and yellow makes brown, lol.

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2013-12-08, 01:33

I never see anything about breeding glass/ghost shirmp? Are they just not popular? I just love watching the shrimp run around my planted tanks. Wife and I make it almost a game to see how many ghost shrimp we can find in the guppie tank.
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-12-08, 01:40

Ghost shrimps are too hard to breed and easily to die (sensitive). if you want red cherry shrimps. Go get them at this ad. Not my ad.

"Fire Red Cherry Shrimp, High Grade of Cherry Red Shrimp
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
For clarification, these are the Taiwanese Fire Red Cherry Shrimps which in fact are one of the highest grades you can get. I have sold over 200 shrimp with all happy customers The parents are some of the most bright red I have ever seen"

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2013-12-08, 01:47

Thats a 1hr 43min Drive for me... I will just wait for a fish boxer to sell em Or maybe in quire if he will ship them.
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-12-08, 04:00

Neocaridina (heteropoda) are very common and lots of folks breed them. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding them. I got my RCS from ebay (two different sellers), several years back. They ship well, especially when they're young. These are the best beginner shrimp out there; Caridina cf. Cantonensis are a bit more difficult to keep.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-12-08, 06:14

SiRWesDragon wrote:Neocardinia Heteropoda:
- Red Cherry (RCS)*- Sakura Red- Fire Red*- Painted Fire Red (PFR)- Supreme Red*- Yellow- Fire Yellow*- Golden- Neon Yellow- Neon fire yellow*- Orange,Pumpkin*- Sunkist Sakura*- Red rilli*- Blue rilli*- Blue Velvet*- Carbon RiliChocolate (Schoko)- Black*- Blue*- Brown*
Neocardinia Palmata:- Pearls (var. Blue*, White, etc.)
Cardinia cantonesis:- Crystal red (CRS)*- Pure Red Line (PRL)*- K14 (also a PRL)*- Crystal black (CBS)- Pure Black Line (PBL)*- Black Impact (also a PBL)*- Tiger- Super Tiger*- Red Tiger*- Orange Eye Blue Tiger (OEBT)*- Black Tiger Orange Eye (BTOE)*- Royal Blue Tiger*- Black Tiger Black Eye (BTBE)*- Panda*- Shadow Panda*- Blue Bolt*- Hulk*- Black King Kong (BKK)*- Cristal White *- Tibee (Tiger x Bee)*
Caridina pareparensis parvidentata:-Malawa*
Caridina serrata:- Tangerine Tiger (TT)*
Cardinia japonica(multidentata):-Amano*
Caridina (Paracaridina) meridionalis:- Camouflage Tiger Shrimp, Hong Kong Shrimp, Larry Shrimp*
Halocaridina rubra:- Hawaiian Red Shrimps "Opae Ula"*
Caridina Hogarti:- Green Nose Shrimp*
Caridina Gracilirostris:-Pinoccio*
Caridina BALBAUTI-Rainbow*-brown/black*-zebra*
SULAWESI- Cardinal- 
HarlequinPalaemonetes sp.- Ghost/Glass shrimp
SirWes...great shrimp info...thank you!
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-12-08, 12:44

Yes you deserve a thanks for that post, I always see the chart originally posted but it's not really that helpful... The species followed by the color morphs really gives a better idea of which are the same species, and your list is more complete as well (some of those types I have never heard of)
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-12-10, 19:33

Chiisai wrote:Thats a 1hr 43min Drive for me... I will just wait for a fish boxer to sell em Or maybe in quire if he will ship them.

It doesn't hurt to call the guy from CL Ad I post for you. His name is Wilson.  Ask if he can ship priority with a heat pack and either pick it up at post office or mail it to work so they wont be in cold too long.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-12-10, 19:35

LuminousAphid wrote:Yes you deserve a thanks for that post, I always see the chart originally posted but it's not really that helpful... The species followed by the color morphs really gives a better idea of which are the same species, and your list is more complete as well (some of those types I have never heard of)
I got this list from a shrimp site. Power of Google but with the power the right question.  Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2014-01-20, 00:58

I am considering buying shrimp from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Has anyone bought from them before and/or have heard feedback? Their prices seem reasonable and they have just about every color I can possibly want.
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-01-20, 01:05

I haven't ordered from them personally. But here is their Aquabid Feedback it looks like.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  coftedal 2014-01-24, 18:49

I have bought from ShrimpUSA a number of times and have had really good luck. I had one shipment in the summer where the heat got to them. I gave him a picture, and he said "No Problem" and replaced the shrimp.

He does tend to ship larger sized shrimp which can be good and bad. If they acclimate to your tank well, you'll have breeders in short order. If they don't (because they are older and the stress of shipping) you can end up losing some. What I personally do, is buy some from him - to get the larger average size - and then some smaller ones from other sellers on Aquabid. That way, I get a nice colony mix of sizes.

coftedal
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down