Lamental Jester
binbin9
pbmax
CrazedAce
PokeSephiroth
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

UPDATED+Plant Layout PokeSephiroth's 20 Gallon Walstad Tank - Page 2 Empty Re: UPDATED+Plant Layout PokeSephiroth's 20 Gallon Walstad Tank

Post  jrmakawoody 2013-04-18, 14:38

CO2....get there!
jrmakawoody
jrmakawoody
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

UPDATED+Plant Layout PokeSephiroth's 20 Gallon Walstad Tank - Page 2 Empty Re: UPDATED+Plant Layout PokeSephiroth's 20 Gallon Walstad Tank

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-04-18, 15:13

But...but but but... but! . . .
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-05-25, 01:53

Update!

Well it's been a while since I've updated this, but fret not! I have some pictures to share! Smile Once I finish sorting through them, I will update this again for all of you to see. Wheeee!
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-05-25, 02:07

Pictures are here!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
A picture of the entire 20 gallon tank. The plants sure have filled in quite well. Perhaps TOO well. Every time I trim them, the plants seem to just take up all the space I freed up within a couple of days. It's really great seeing all the fast plant growth, that's for sure!

Three Blue Rams, playing follow the leader in front of a lush green background of plants. There's also a preggo Fancy Guppy in there that jrmakawoody gave me several months ago. She seems to be happy and keeps popping out more babies here and there!

These pictures are just some close ups, that I wanted to try with the iPhone4S. Seems pretty good, if only I had manual control of the focus, then I'd probably have better shots. Still, not bad for a camera phone. Smile

Just showing the other plants, and how healthy they are! Yay for healthy plants!

Feeding time! Boy they sure don't get camera shy when it comes to feeding them. I literally had the phone/camera RIGHT up to the glass, and they didn't even care! Smile

Welps, that's it for now. The other fish seem to be camera shy, but I did manage to get a couple of them in the pictures (Guppies, and White Cloud Mountain Minnows)
I'll post a little video of the Blue Rams soon, once it's done rendering and uploading. Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-05-25, 02:17

Here's the video (it should be done processing by now).

PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-05-25, 02:33

three comments:
1st, did you take the shots inside the tank?(actually a question) it appears that there is no glass separating you from the fish!(there's the comment)

2nd, those rams crack me up. i like how they just "mean-mugged" the camera the entire time you shot this video.

3rd, completely awesome set-up and fish!!!!!!!!!!
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-05-25, 02:38

lloyd378, hehehehe!!
1) Nope, all pictures and videos were taken outside of the tank, I just had the iPhone4s right up against the tank, literally. Very Happy

2) It's my first time having Blue Rams, and they really are a hoot to watch. Like most cichlids, they know who I am now, and always approach the front of the tank assuming that I'm going to feed them every time. Bahahaha!

3) Thanks!! Very Happy beerchug
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  BillHN 2013-05-25, 07:52

B e a s t!
BillHN
BillHN
Lifetime Member

https://www.facebook.com/billhn

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-05-25, 10:36

Wow Angelo, WoOOoooow!

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-05-25, 20:05

Very Happy . . .Thanks!! They look so active whenever I approach the tank. LOL. I kinda wish I didn't put this tank in a room I rarely go in. I mean, the only time I ever go in this room is to feed them, or to water my herbs..... (don't get any ideas. I'm just growing Holy Basil. LOL)
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  jrmakawoody 2013-05-27, 12:03

I have my blue rams attack my fingers sometimes when im reaching in messing with the plants, they ARE a hoot!
jrmakawoody
jrmakawoody
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  binbin9 2013-05-27, 18:47

Beautiful jungle. Where is that purple light coming from on the wall?

PokeSephiroth wrote:Pictures are here!

A picture of the entire 20 gallon tank. The plants sure have filled in quite well. Perhaps TOO well. Every time I trim them, the plants seem to just take up all the space I freed up within a couple of days. It's really great seeing all the fast plant growth, that's for sure!

Three Blue Rams, playing follow the leader in front of a lush green background of plants. There's also a preggo Fancy Guppy in there that jrmakawoody gave me several months ago. She seems to be happy and keeps popping out more babies here and there!

These pictures are just some close ups, that I wanted to try with the iPhone4S. Seems pretty good, if only I had manual control of the focus, then I'd probably have better shots. Still, not bad for a camera phone. Smile

Just showing the other plants, and how healthy they are! Yay for healthy plants!

Feeding time! Boy they sure don't get camera shy when it comes to feeding them. I literally had the phone/camera RIGHT up to the glass, and they didn't even care! Smile

Welps, that's it for now. The other fish seem to be camera shy, but I did manage to get a couple of them in the pictures (Guppies, and White Cloud Mountain Minnows)
I'll post a little video of the Blue Rams soon, once it's done rendering and uploading. Very Happy
binbin9
binbin9

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-05-27, 19:28

binbin9, purple light... hmmm I'm not sure.. I have 4 light fixtures above the tank, and they're different bulbs, of varying wattages:

2 - 24" 17watt 6,500K Daylight fluorescent tubes
1 - 18" 15watt "grow light" tube
1 - 18" 15watt ????K fluorescent tube

perhaps the purple light is from a mixture of those lights? My walls are white, so I doubt it's from that. lol

PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-05-27, 19:51

That tank is looking absolutely fantastic! Great job, PokeS Smile cheers
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-05-27, 19:57

pbmax, why thankyas Very Happy couldn't have done it without your help!

Actually, I really couldn't have done it without all the help and support from everyone here! You all rock so much! Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-05-27, 20:05

Of course now you're screwed... all those stem plants are only going to grow faster so you'll be trimming every week. Wink The slacker in me switched over to mostly root plants a while back to avoid the work. affraid
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-05-27, 20:13

pbmax, are you kidding me? Because they grow so fast, I get to sell them at local petstores...granted, they screw me over with their prices...BUT... it's still better than just tossing em out. LOL.

I would like some more crypts though. perhaps when I get tired of my hygros or something lol.
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-09-09, 03:54

Recently trimmed my 20 gallon tank, I swear, everytime I trim, I get saddened by how ugly it looks, but I do like the fact that the fish have more swimming room now. It was a JUNGLE in there, basically had fish right up to the glass. lol!!

This is how it looks now, after trimming.

Even after all that clipping, it still looks like a mess. I'm probably going to take out a lot of the vals growing in there, because they're super long. There are some in there that has leaves that are twice the length of the tank, it's crazy.
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-09, 09:35

PokeSephiroth wrote:Recently trimmed my 20 gallon tank, I swear, everytime I trim, I get saddened by how ugly it looks, but I do like the fact that the fish have more swimming room now. It was a JUNGLE in there, basically had fish right up to the glass. lol!!

This is how it looks now, after trimming.

Even after all that clipping, it still looks like a mess. I'm probably going to take out a lot of the vals growing in there, because they're super long. There are some in there that has leaves that are twice the length of the tank, it's crazy.
It must have been a chore if you trimmed everything at once Smile

Personally I like the look of Val when its become long enough to bend over. Looks natural. Very nice PokeSethiroth!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-09-09, 11:33

fishNAbowl: Thank you! It did take me a while, that's for sure. LOL! The Rotala Indica and Baby Tears were the "toughest" ones to trim/clip because there was so many of them. The stargrass seems to be doing really well in that tank, not so much in my other tanks because this one is dirted, (I have another dirted tank with stargrass growing in it, but it's not doing as well in their for some odd reason).

Bacopa Caroliniana was plentiful as well, I really need to make more room for other plants because I tend to be a plant hoarder apparently. I still have a problem with just tossing out plant clippings, so I eventually end up just putting them in different tanks. LMFAO 

I also love the look of Vallisneria when it becomes long and bends towards the surface, this was initially what I had wanted for the longest time, and now they're starting to outgrow the other plants. Aaaahahahahaha!
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2013-09-09, 15:31

I love your tank!! where do you get your rams? im looking for a female.
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-09-09, 15:37

MorganEA: Thanks! I got mine from Petsmart, before I knew any better. lol.
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-09-09, 16:54

Looks great, hooray for dirt! I wish I had just done that with my tank, but realize I would have just filled it up recently after all the prep.

Are the really symmetrical stem plants in there (the ones that have perfect 90degree leaf angles) hygro? They sort of look like the way my ludwigia is starting to grow under high light, my hygro doesn't look anything like that
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-09-09, 17:05

LuminousAphid: Thanks! Yeah, this was my experiment tank, as far dirted tanks are concerned, and it has turned out pretty well. I've been wanting to "convert" the rest of my tanks, but don't have the heart to tear a tank down, put dirt in, watch water params for like two months, THEN re-introduce fish into the tank...just takes too long, and I seem to be doing well with my other tanks, just not AS well as my 20 gallon hehehe.

I'm not sure which plant you're talking about, could you describe where in the tank it's located?

EDIT: I just realized that you might be talking about a plant that's in a different picture aside from the latest one I posted. LOL... are you talking about the plant in this picture that's off to the right?

Same plant, but different photo:

If so, then that would be the submersed version of Rotala Indica. I bought it a while back from petco, while it was still in its emersed state (had round greenish leaves), and then I was amazed at how it ended up looking, with the elongated leaves that has a subtle reddish/pinkish coloration towards the upper leaves. But yeah, Rotala Indica is the name of the plant.
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-09-09, 18:07

yeah thats the one, i didnt know what that was, thanks

sorry for the bad spelling, im eating lol
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-14, 04:23

Well, I told myself that I would do a plant layout graphic for this tank, and I've put it off for the longest time now, because I've been lazy lol. So, here it is. Smile

It's currently going through some transitioning/re-scaping...and it being dirted, is a daunting task. I know I shouldn't be re-arranging a dirted tank, but it's just... not the way I really want it to be. I took out all of the Valisneria that I could, and transfered them into my 55 gallon. That cleared up A LOT of space. Very Happy

PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-11-14, 23:02

PokeSephiroth wrote:Well, I told myself that I would do a plant layout graphic for this tank, and I've put it off for the longest time now, because I've been lazy lol. So, here it is. Smile

It's currently going through some transitioning/re-scaping...and it being dirted, is a daunting task. I know I shouldn't be re-arranging a dirted tank, but it's just... not the way I really want it to be. I took out all of the Valisneria that I could, and transfered them into my 55 gallon. That cleared up A LOT of space. Very Happy

You have way to much time on your hands my friend . Lol!!

fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-11-14, 23:03

LOVE this picture!!! Mind if I use it as a screen saver?
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-14, 23:53

fishNAbowl: Too much time is an understatement. Smile And feel free to use my pictures as a screen saver! Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-11-14, 23:56

PokeSephiroth wrote:fishNAbowl: Too much time is an understatement. :)And feel free to use my pictures as a screen saver! Very Happy
Ty Smile 
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2013-11-17, 23:33

RE: Hanging the lights

Go to the hardware store and get a few "J" hook to mount from your cieling. Then use chain. You can mark every other link with a sharpie. This allows you to raise or lower your lights as you need aprox 3/4" per link. Play around with it till you get it just right. Just my 2 cents.
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-17, 23:52

Neat! Thanks for the info, Chiisai! Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewb46 2013-12-16, 19:48

I am loving the 20L set up. I have 3 dirt tanks myself, and will not go back to having any other kind of substrate. Blue Rams are a hoot! I have a breeding pair in a 5 gal planted w/dirt. The pair I have go nuts for micro and blackworms. 0k.
Ewb46
Ewb46
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-12-16, 21:39

Ewb46: Thanks! Yeah, have been going through the dirted path, I've never wanted to use any other substrate. =P That's why all my tanks are dirted now (with the exception of my 8 foot long divided tanks. lol)

PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-12-17, 08:57

PokeSephiroth wrote:Well, I told myself that I would do a plant layout graphic for this tank, and I've put it off for the longest time now, because I've been lazy lol. So, here it is. Smile

Nice schematic....what did you use to do the drawings and such with Angelo? Any update pics? And I didn't notice those Vals in your shots of the tank on page 3 of the thread ... only in the cleanout pics. Glad you removed them...I think it will look better without them.

Pics, pics and more pics please.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-12-17, 09:53

Thanks cichlid-gal! I used photoshop to make the schematics, it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it, because you have to create a circular or oval shape then you have to re-shape it and warp it so that it covers the necessary areas hehehe.

I'm glad I took out the vals as well, I transfered them to my 55, and they seem to look a lot better in there due to the extra height of the tank.

I will take some pictures hopefully by tonight and make a new plant layout as I have somewhat changed it up a bit since I made that last one... I believe. Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-12-18, 18:02

So... I think I've hit a hump in the road. The tank isn't looking as nice as I had wanted it to look, so I think I will postpone taking pictures and making the new plant layout, until after I've trimmed the jungle, a bit.

Hahaha, I almost feel bad for the fish. They're pressed right up against the glass.  whistle  (oknonotreallybutyougetthepoint).
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2