My First NPT(Natural Planted Tank) Using Dr. Walstad's methods.

+5
sidekicking
flo77
IceBerg
sandnuka
Aquarium Co-Op
9 posters

Go down

My First NPT(Natural Planted Tank) Using Dr. Walstad's methods. Empty My First NPT(Natural Planted Tank) Using Dr. Walstad's methods.

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2010-07-02, 14:30

I first became fascinated with this concept when I read a Tropical Fish Hobbiest article about a NPT fish room. I then had to buy the book, boy it's a text book, rather than a fish book. Lots of science in there. If you like reading a biology text book, this book is for you. Otherwise it's still a good read, and you'll learn a ton, but it'll feel a little like work.

Basic premises of the Dr. Walstad Method.

-Soil substrate contains 7 different bacterias that can live in aquariums.
-Soil substrate provides co2 to the aquarium from decomposing matter.
-Plants when given the opportunity prefer to feed on ammonia.
-All nutrients that plants need can be provided from fish food.
-Nutrients are removed from the aquarium via plant trimming.
-Water changes are not necessary.
-Topping off water, does not change hardness or ph after the tank is established.
-Filtration should not be used.
-Circulation is an option.

So basically we see here, a tank that never needs a water change, doesn't need a filter. Sounds too good to be true right? That's what I thought also, until I started reading her forum and seeing amazing tanks, following these exact guidelines.

Have a look at this tank. It won't knock your socks off, until you realize there is no filtration, no fertilizers, and no water changes, and it's been stable for 9+ years.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

My First NPT(Natural Planted Tank) Using Dr. Walstad's methods. Empty My 29 Gallon

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2010-07-02, 14:37

So after doing a bunch of research and procrastinating, roughly 6 months. I finally started a NPT. I had the soil sitting around for 3 months etc.

Tank: 29 gallon, painted black back.

First thing, I had to drain and take down the tank, I had used it for breeding Albino Bristlenose Plecos.
Pic to come later.

Then I measured and marked on the glass, 1 and 2 inches. 1 Inch is supposed to be organic soil, covered with an inch of aquarium gravel to top it off.

This is the soil I chose to use. Cost me 2.79 from home depot.

Then I had to sift all the organic soil, to get all the sticks and bulky items out. I found a $1 colander from the dollar store worked great for this. This process probably took me 40 minutes.

Next I covered it with a mix of gravel. It had some laterite in it, with crushed coral and natural colored gravel. I used this mix, because I had it laying around. Then I started filling it up with water very slowly. As you can see... It pretty much does what you'd think it would... Big mud pit.

I then let it sit for a day, no improvement on the muddy conditions. So I did a water change down to the gravel. and refilled, much better, and a new pic to come when I get home. I forgot to take a picture last night.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

My First NPT(Natural Planted Tank) Using Dr. Walstad's methods. Empty Re: My First NPT(Natural Planted Tank) Using Dr. Walstad's methods.

Post  sandnuka 2010-07-02, 15:50

yeah... I rinse the heck out of the soil/sand/gravel before puttin it in the tank.... helps with the cloudiness. I am actually going to be using that method in allot of my tanks... thanks for the post!
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

My First NPT(Natural Planted Tank) Using Dr. Walstad's methods. Empty Re: My First NPT(Natural Planted Tank) Using Dr. Walstad's methods.

Post  IceBerg 2010-07-02, 19:05

Wow Cory, I can't wait to see the finished product! Keep us up to date! Very Happy
IceBerg
IceBerg
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

My First NPT(Natural Planted Tank) Using Dr. Walstad's methods. Empty My First NPT(Natural Planted Tank) Using Dr. Walstad's methods

Post  flo77 2010-07-02, 19:38

Cory,
Good luck with your new project. Did you consider to try a dry start with this set-up?

flo77

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2010-07-03, 01:22

Some more updates on this tank. Here is the pic I promised. A tank as of yesterday.

Here is what I got done today. Plants I had on hand.

Plant list:
Vallisneria(pulled from higher PH shell dweller tank)
Dwarf Lily Bulb
bolbitis heudelotii
Crypt. Wendetti bronze
Subwassertang
Java Fern Narrow Leaf
Salvini(floating plant)
Water sprite(floating form)

Livestock:
3 Blue Platies
1 MTS
1 Olive Nerite snail
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2010-07-03, 21:04

Today when I got home from work. My guppy grass was pearling. First time I've ever had a plant pearl for me.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  sidekicking 2010-07-04, 01:39

tanks is looking great man
but whats pearling??
sidekicking
sidekicking
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2010-07-04, 01:53

When a plant is photosynthesizing so effeciently that you can see it releasing oxygen into the water. Basically means it's happy.

This is not my plant. However this is what it looks like. Also sometiems plants can look like this after a water change. However it's a good sign when it does it every day for ya.

Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-07-04, 04:29

Woooo Hooooo Pearling!!! got to love it when a plant is happy it bubbles! I just finished puttin together my 20gal walstad tech tank!! You convinced me cory...... it will be for my discus when I get a pair! Smile thanks again for the idea!
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  regan24 2010-07-04, 12:56

I DEFINITELY want to try this. Keep posting!!!

regan24
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

My First NPT(Natural Planted Tank) Using Dr. Walstad's methods. Empty My First NPT(Natural Planted Tank) Using Dr. Walstad's methods

Post  flo77 2010-07-04, 13:29

sandnuka wrote:Woooo Hooooo Pearling!!! got to love it when a plant is happy it bubbles! I just finished puttin together my 20gal walstad tech tank!! You convinced me cory...... it will be for my discus when I get a pair! Smile thanks again for the idea!
That sound like a very interesting and challenging project. Please let us know when you start the project!

flo77

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-07-04, 13:47

just posted pictures in the show and tell.... sorry cory, not to steal your thread.... my project is thanks to you.... well and Lilydog (he original taught me the tech)
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2010-07-04, 15:07

sandnuka wrote:just posted pictures in the show and tell.... sorry cory, not to steal your thread.... my project is thanks to you.... well and Lilydog (he original taught me the tech)

Don't worry, you're not stealing my thread. The real magic, is if someone can remember to keep posting update pictures Very Happy
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2010-07-06, 13:44

Yesterday I had pearling as well. Very small amounts so far. Today I plan to start feeding the tank. I must admit I am nervous, because there is no filtration! Today is go time!
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-07-15, 21:59

Cory, what are your water parameters.... I keep gettin a higher nitrite reading.... whats weird is there shouldnt be any ammonia cause there is no fish in there, and I havent fed anything in there?? Think I am gettin a false positive??

On the upside I am gettin allot of growth! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2010-07-15, 22:08

I just did a water change on my tank today. So that I could move it. To make room for 2 more 55 gallon tanks. So my parameters would not be correct.

However it makes sense you have Nitrite in the water, you have dirt that is rotting. Making ammonia etc.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  baglel10 2010-07-17, 14:31

you think i could do this in 10 gal tank if i find shourter plants or something i want to try this king
baglel10
baglel10
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-07-17, 19:13

I know a very successful dwarf breeder that uses this tech in all his tanks... and most are 10 gals Smile ..... He has no problem whatsoever! Honestly, I believe it would actually be easier to keep water parameters stable this way. Good luck.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

My First NPT(Natural Planted Tank) Using Dr. Walstad's methods. Empty 1 Month Update

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2010-08-10, 22:55

This is my 1 Month update. I really didn't think the tank changed much, until I saw the day 1 pictures vs todays picture. I did add 1 plant, Sunset Hygro.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Nitrates 20
Nitrites barely registering.

No water changes. Only feeding the platies. Platies are breeding.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-08-11, 02:40

Cory... looks awesome!!! I am gettin crazy amounts of growth too... I love this setup! The plant on the left of the picture... kinda pink on the top leaves, what is the name of it??? someone told me it was illegal?? I love it, and it grows like mad craziness!

Are you using any at all filtration?? anything for water movement, air pump? its Awesome you have not done one water change... this is where you and I differ... i still do water changes and use a filter Wink
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2010-08-11, 02:55

There is literally nothing done to the tank, no filtration or water movement AT ALL. No water changes. Also the plant is sunset hygrophilia? as far as I know it's legal in washington . There are some version of hygro that are no legal.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Fern 2010-09-07, 16:18

I put boiled top soil under the sand in all of my planted tanks, it makes for very happy plants. I just boil it because I'm in FL and there are all sorts of critters and nasty's that could wander into my tank if I didn't, so boiling it is a good way to water-log it and sterilize it.
Fern
Fern

Back to top Go down

Post  Caton 2010-09-13, 18:05

If you have a betta or something you can have mosquito larvae in the tank and the fish will eat it right up Smile
Caton
Caton
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2010-09-14, 17:24

I removed the dwarf lily out of the tank as the growth had gotten insane. 7+ leaves that were 3-4 inches in diameter. Tonight is a Gsas meeting though. So I'll be on the look out for plants to put in my tanks.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down