fx5 question

4 posters

Go down

fx5 question Empty fx5 question

Post  WhosUrDadi 2013-02-23, 01:13

1.Does anyone know or used a fx5 with seaswirl occillating system? 
2. If I connect a UV sterilizer with fx5, how much flow rate will I loose?
WhosUrDadi
WhosUrDadi
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

fx5 question Empty Re: fx5 question

Post  Madness 2013-02-23, 02:03

#2) You wont lose any flow rate, but you may be wasting the UV and the reason for using it. The flow through the UV will be to fast to even make a difference.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Salzabar 2013-02-23, 13:55

I have one inline with a MAG 350 canister. I pack the filter basket full of bio beads that keeps the flow down to about 100 gallons per hour so it strains the impeller alittle but the effects on the water passing by the UV light is awesome. an FX5 is just too powerful but if you hook up a powerhead inside the tank and run a line to the UV then back to your tank then you will have effectiveness that you will desire. Keep the flow rates below 100 per hour as stated in the UV directions. You can find a small powerhead rated for below 100 gallons really cheap. The hose you will need will depend on the size of the powerhead. Any good LFS will carry what you will need to set it up.
The seaswirl with an FX5 should be fine as long as your tank is big. How many gallons are we talking about and how long is the tank?
Salzabar
Salzabar

Back to top Go down

Post  WhosUrDadi 2013-02-24, 13:37

Well I guess my only choice is to buy a separate small pump for the uv.

Im on the stage of planning the set up now for my 110 gal lon possibly a 150+gal (If I found 1)

Im remodeling my house right so after that im settting up my big tank. I already have the 110 gallon but if I found a bigger one, that would great. Im also making a 3d background for the tank so all equipment will be pretty hidden in the back of the background. Thats why I dont want any bulky equipments inside the tank.
WhosUrDadi
WhosUrDadi
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-02-25, 14:04

I have an FX5 with a Coralife 18W TurboTwist UV on it. It work fine for greenwater issues but if you are looking for more than that you will want at least a 36w+ unit. The flow rate on the FX5 is too high to accomplish much with a low watt UV.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down