Tropheus & Aggression

3 posters

Go down

Tropheus & Aggression Empty Tropheus & Aggression

Post  sandnuka 2010-07-20, 03:48

I have a 100gallon tank, and decided to put all my tropheus in it.... Tropheus Moorii Type, Tropheus Duboisi, and Tropheus Ikola..... These are three different main types of tropheus if you are unfamiliar, I believe there are 5 or 6 totall groups.. Anyway, to the point.... I have found that the Tropheus Moorii is the most aggressive. How I was brought to this conclusion is periodically I would loose a tropheus duboisi, I lost a totall of 6 then gave the rest to a friend..... After they were gone, I began to loose The ikola, lost just two so far..... but, I have not lost one Moorii type.

So I began to observed there behavior very closely, and noticed that the Moorii were so much more aggressive and active, the ikola and duboisi had a more laid back personality.... Then I was told that at night, when the lights were out, the more aggressive tropheus would kinda take of advantage of this, and rob them of sleepin area, and just bug them until they get so stressed they die.

I just wanted to share this with everyone that may consider gettin these beautiful fish in the future. I personally know someone that has succesfully had two variants in a tank, but in my experience, I would defintly not recommend it any longer, cause these fish are evil [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Tropheus & Aggression Empty Re: Tropheus & Aggression

Post  Betty 2010-07-20, 10:30

I know that these things can vary, but it's good to hear people's firsthand experiences. I've been looking into getting Tropheus -- there are so many nice variants that it's tempting to try to keep more than one. I will resist!

Do you also keep mbuna? I was wondering how Tropheus aggression compares to mbuna aggression?
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-07-20, 14:20

my brother had 1 tropheus duboisi in a tank of mixed mallawii guys.... randomly he would loose a fish every couple weeks.... he said the duboisi was just too aggressive, ended up gettin him a 20 long and kept him alone for his punishment. Smile .... Now, I do know a guy that kept several tropheus and had 3 or so peacocks in his tank, never had a problem at all..... So I wouldnt recommend it, unless you kept a nice size colony of tropheus, then they typically go around chasing there own kind, and kinda leave the others alone.

Check out this sight.... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] it has a series of great articles if your interested in keepin tropheus.... there all small articles, like just a couple paragraphs each, but filled with tons of excellent and IMPORTANT tropheus info.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2010-07-20, 14:28

Thanks. I've been a member over there for several years (different username), but just recently started getting interested in tropheus. I'll have to take a look at those articles again to refresh my memory. Smile

I wouldn't be keeping Tangs in the same tank with Malawis, but was just wondering how the level of aggression compares. I would say that generally mbuna are more aggressive than peacocks -- and I just have the impression from the reading that I've done that tropheus are like mbuna as far as chasing, nipping, activity level...
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-07-20, 14:35

I only kept mbuna for a short while before changing my mind.... they were all juvies, so I didnt get to see there true aggression level.... I dont have much to compare Sad ..... I was honestly thinkin of starting a demonsi tank, and if i do, i will let you know how they compare with thoughs guys.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2010-07-20, 14:40

That's okay, not a problem. I was just curious. At one time I had about 15 auratus in one tank. I can't imagine aggression being much more extreme that that! With African cichlids, that is.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sidekicking 2010-07-20, 18:35

Jeez Joe how many have you lost in total due to aggression issues???
I have my five ikola...mix with three labs and I haven't seen any aggression from any of them
maybe cause there still young
sidekicking
sidekicking
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-07-20, 19:34

Yeah side, your guys are still tiny... just wait until they start the whole "who is alpha" thing.... And really, I never had a problem when it was just one variant per tank..... as soon as I started mixin them, started gettin deaths.. Sad

I have lost a totall of 7 fish.... but I have like 40 of 'em.... and that has been over the spand of 5 or so months. I also dont have anything to help bloat/stress once it starts... ordered some meds yesterday, hopefully now when I notice some stress or lack of eatin, i will treat quickly, and catch it before it goes into a full blown bloat.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down